Thai man jailed for 1993 murder of Japanese woman

webfact

Thai man jailed for 1993 murder of Japanese woman

BANGKOK, September 30, 2013 (AFP) - A Thai man was sentenced to nine years in prison by a Bangkok court on Monday for the murder of a Japanese woman two decades ago in Tokyo.

Veerasak Lampongsa, 41, was convicted of stabbing 33-year-old Megumi Kawachi with a fruit knife and strangling her in an apartment in the Japanese capital in March 1993.

The suspect, who pleaded guilty, stole money and other vuluables before fleeing back to Thailand, according to prosecutors.

"The court found him guilty of murder and sentenced him to 18 years in jail, but as he confessed the punishment was reduced by half to nine years," a court official said.

Veerasak had been on the run until he was arrested in October last year at a bus station in southern Thailand, five months before the case's statute of limitations was due to expire.

Thailand and Japan have no extradition treaty.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-09-30

This only moved due to heavy pressure from the Japanese

Yup - of course even though they have no treaty they could have sent him back to Japan, like they do with a lot of criminals from other countries who they have no extradition treaty with, although in those cases they get a distinct PR boost from sending them back.

• Like 1

Yup - of course even though they have no treaty they could have sent him back to Japan, like they do with a lot of criminals from other countries who they have no extradition treaty with, although in those cases they get a distinct PR boost from sending them back.

There was a story a number of months ago in the press here, quoting the Japanese ambassador (I think) extorting the Thai authorities in that very understated Japanese way to move on this case.

Interesting story under the legal point of view.

"Normally" (give to this word the sense that you want), a person that committed a crime outside his country, can be tried in his own country only if no prosecution has been done in the country where the crime has been commited. I thinkwhat they did must have been supported by some legality anyway, maybe Japan has never tried him "in-absentia", as some country don't, and did not want or could prosecute him now, maybe something statute or arrest warrant has expired already.

• Like 1

^^^ the word is 'exhorting': to try to influence (someone) by words or advice : to strongly urge (someone) to do something. Full Definition of EXHORT - www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/exhort

Your poor choice of gerund begs defaming the Japanese...not something TV would condone, I'd imagine; but let's leave it up to a moderator.

Edited by ataloss

Thais need to learn that non-Thai life matters. This is just more Thai racism and mind boggling ignorance and arrogance. Thailand needs another 500 years to evolve. Nine years for cold blooded murder? How about this, next time a Thai is mudered in japan, just give the murderer a small fine and then say to Thailand and collectively all Thais 'how the f*** do you like that then, it works both ways?".

It would take me 1 minute to give you examples of evidently disproportionate sentences (and further time actually paid) for any country of the world. Admittedly, some are worst than others

I have looked . At the time the crime has occured. Japan had a 15 years statute of limitations for homicide (now 25 years). Even if this time is extended (clock stopped) when the accused leaves country, Japan may have found difficult to have him extradited, and may have chosen or negotiated to have Thailand do it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/12/world/asia/12iht-murder.html?_r=0

I also think that Thai police knew exactly where to find him, but made the arrest at a bus stations for reasons of face saving.

Edited by paz

Thais need to learn that non-Thai life matters. This is just more Thai racism and mind boggling ignorance and arrogance. Thailand needs another 500 years to evolve. Nine years for cold blooded murder? How about this, next time a Thai is mudered in japan, just give the murderer a small fine and then say to Thailand and collectively all Thais 'how the f*** do you like that then, it works both ways?".

It would take me 1 minute to give you examples of evidently disproportionate sentences (and further time actually paid) for any country of the world. Admittedly, some are worst than others

yes, i see, you are right. in fact, this is all fine, 9 years was probably too long. other countries do this kind of thing, so its alright actually, nothing to get worked up about at all. should have just let him off totally, maybe even congratulated him.

hey, i was also thinking about those gang rapes in india. so much noise made abouth that huh? i mean, absurd, so what, just gang rapes...not like rape isnt in other coutries too. how can anyone be critical of india...what about mike tyson...that showed the US has rapes so its just as bad as india.

• Like 1

It's safe to say this killer would be doing a lot longer sentence (50 years perhaps) if he was actually in a Japanese court.

In Thailand when a thai murders a foreigner and they 9 years jail. Meanwhile others comitting Lese Majeste get 15 years.

Life really is worthless.

No, you haven't got that quite right. In Thailand and it seems to Thais in general, non-Thai lives are worthless but Thai lives are sacrosanct. Thats also why its quite okay for Thais to assault foreigners for any old reason they see in their illogical brains but the tiniest assault from a non-Thai on a Thai would justify a mob of Thais beating the foreigner to death there and then, or a prison sentence of a decade or so if the police get to the scene on time.

No, you haven't got that quite right. In Thailand and it seems to Thais in general, non-Thai lives are worthless but Thai lives are sacrosanct. Thats also why its quite okay for Thais to assault foreigners for any old reason they see in their illogical brains but the tiniest assault from a non-Thai on a Thai would justify a mob of Thais beating the foreigner to death there and then, or a prison sentence of a decade or so if the police get to the scene on time.

Not to defend the Thai justice system, but even a foreign can receive a relatively short term for murdering a Thai, like 10 years. The key concept is that confession halves the penalty.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/509859-american-fanelli-sentenced-to-10-years-for-phuket-bar-girl-murder/page-3

Whilst i see the logic in reducing the sentence for those that save the court time and expense by admitting their guilt from the outset. This individual has evaded justice (by fleeing Japan) and has been on the run for almost 20 years. He's hardly been forthcoming in the matter.

Murder means life in most countries. US UK and probably Japan so I don't expect the families will be impressed.

Better late than never but 9 year sentence seems somewhat lenient for a such a violent murder.

Edited by Pui
  • Like 2

I was wondering the same thing...Thailand and Japan have no extradition treaty, La.

They'll pick up an westerner with a quickness,

and deport him, without giving it a second thought.

As you stated for PR boost.

Never mind the if the crime wasn't violent,

or drug related.

Doesn't even matter about the family arrangements,

they he may have here.

Just get the bloak back to his country, eventually.

If it was the other way around and a Thai national was murdered in Japan they would have been throwing buckets of blood outside the Japanese embassy 19 years ago.

Edited by metisdead
Large font reset to normal.

Who prosecuted him? The Thais? At the request of the Japanese? Huh? The offence was in Japan?

Bizarre...

Nothing at all bizarre about being prosecuted in your own country for an offence committed abroad. It happens so often that it should be considered the norm. For example take two Brit tourists in France, one rapes the other and both return to the UK. The French authorities report the facts to the Brit police, other enquiries are made, witness and suspect interviewed, case to the Crown Prosecutors for an OK, and then off to court. In the case of murder, a British subject may be tried in the UK for a murder committed anywhere in the world.
It can happen, but surely it is incredibly rare?

Just because there is no formal extradition treaty, doesn't preclude the Japanese from requesting his arrest.

Edited by Thai at Heart

There shouldn't be a Statute of Limitations in murder cases.

How many countries have such a statute for murder/manslaughter or even rape?

It's crazy!!

Back in the UK so called Celebrities are locked up for touching up a teenager 40yrs ago!!!