Aeon Cash Machines charged me

Prior to my recent trip to Thailand I'd read that the Aeon Bank cash machines wouldn't not charge a fee to use their service but I was charged £1.50 every time; it seems for every withdrawal I made there was a set NON-STERLING CASH FEE of £1.50 ATM and a NON-STERLING TRANS FEE, which was a % of the total I withdrew at the time.

I'd also read somewhere that I had to not choose 'dynamic currency conversion' but I don't recall this being an option when at the ATMs.

It seems my efforts to always seek out the Aeon ATMs was a waste of time.

That's a little strange. The separate fees on your statement are charges by your bank so I would expect them to be the same.

The 150 Baht charge is added to the amount you're withdrawing so if you withdraw 20,000 Baht the transaction would show up on your account as 20,150 Baht. The small difference can be lost in the exchange rate and the Baht amount may or may not be shown.

For example, from my online bank statement - I replaced part of my card number with XXXX :

Three separate amounts for one withdrawal :

26 Sep 13 NON-STG CASH FEE CD XXXX 24SEP13 DEB 4.50

26 Sep 13 NON-STG TRANS FEE 2.99% CD XXXX 24SEP13 DEB 12.05

26 Sep 13 VILLA MARKET HUA H TH 20150.00 VisaXR 49.98512 CD XXXX 24SEP13 DEB 403.12

Is the Thai Baht amount listed on your statement ?

It's not cheap is it ? Maybe I'll start wiring money to myself each month instead of using the ATM, I should have been doing this for a long time but it's easier to just go to the ATM.

Edited by ukrules

Do you have an Aeon ATM receipt handy still? Does it show a 150 baht fee on it? As UKRules noted, 20,000 baht w/d would show as 20,150.

Aeon only serves to avoid the 150 Baht fee in Thailand. Fees assessed by your own bank for making foreign transactions, again, as displayed by UKRules' example, is a seperate matter.

If you weren't offered Dynamic Currency Conversion option, then you should be availing the Visa / Mastercard exchange rate.

Goal is finding a bank card with no Foreign Currency Fee and no fee for using an ATM outside their network. This, coupled with Aeon to avoid the 150 Baht fee in Thailand, is the ideal situation.

• Like 1

Oh, I stand corrected.

The 150bt fee was added on to my total withdrawal amount rather than as an extra and so I missed it.

Even so, the fees still feel extortionate.

You're right it is extortionate. I'm going to do wires from now on.

I just hope they don't rob every Baht from my Thai account.

I use AEON ATMs "all the time"...they do not charge any fee. I use no foreign transaction fee debit cards in those AEON ATMS, which means the "card-issuing bank" charges no fees and even absorbs the Visa/MasterCard 0.15% to 1% currency conversion fee...summary: absolutely no fees.

"Your card-issuing bank is the one hitting you up" with a flat fee and/or percentage currency exchange fee...and probably not absorbing the Visa/MasterCard currency exchange fee...passing it along to you. Unfortunately, "most" banks are like this since they love fees; but there are still quite a few banks (the less fee hungry ones) which provide no foreign transaction fee cards. How do you get such a debit card: open a bank account with such a bank.

Oh, I stand corrected.

The 150bt fee was added on to my total withdrawal amount rather than as an extra and so I missed it.

Right, those fees from home bank will eat you alive. I'm not from the UK but aside from Charles Schwab, if you can get it, some UK folks saying Metro Bank is good for expats re: ATM w/d overseas, etc.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/669317-best-uk-bank-accounts-for-expats/

Edited by 55Jay

Oh, I stand corrected.

Take it up with your bank. It's nothing to do with AEON.

It's been clearly explained to you that AEON are not charging you a fee, and that the problem is with your home bank.

I have a VIP unlimited banking account with Royal Bank of Canada, they don't charge me for any transactions outside of the RBC ATM network including foreign ATMs, (actually they do but reimburse each month). Never been charged any fees using AEON ATMs but other (Thai) banks do charge B150 fee. As others explained - nothing to do with AEON, it's your bank robbing you.

I rarely use ATMs anymore and bring loads of cash instead on my occasional short trips back home. I get a whole lot better exch rate at VASU and then depositing it all into my Thai bank. Note: never brought over US $20,000 equivalent, just slightly under, I have no problems declaring that I'm taking the money out of Canada, but I'm not letting the dirty Thai customs touching my money, not telling them as I'm within the legal limits.

Oh, I stand corrected.

Right, those fees from home bank will eat you alive. I'm not from the UK but aside from Charles Schwab, if you can get it, some UK folks saying Metro Bank is good for expats re: ATM w/d overseas, etc.

Do not follow that persons advice - he is clueless

Metro is an OK account but it is MasterCard so its 180 baht for withdrawals

Best cards for UK people to use in Thailand are:

Nationwide FlexPlus £10 monthly charge but has many benefits and if used correctly will cost you £5 a month - 3% interest on up £2500 - for that you will get Worldwide Travel Insurance, Mobile phone cover (without registering). Breakdown cover and extended warranties on all relevant goods (do not need to purchase them on card and covers you for goods you own prior to owning account) Commission Free Overseas Withdrawals

Norwich & Peterborough Gold Classic Account - free just credit with £500 and send straight out again - Commission Free Overseas Withdrawals - FREE - also get Sentinel Gold Cover - you can read more on this link -

http://www.nandp.co.uk/current-account/gold-classic-current-account/

Quite useful for a number of reasons - especially if you encounter problems overseas

Halifax Clarity - I will not cover this as not everyone can get it

In ALL cases you are charged an ATM Fee by the Thai Banks of 150 baht (Visa)

• Like 1

I've been using the Metro card at Aeon since April and have never been charged any ATM or Currency Exchange fee by either.

And I've always got the MasterCard Exchange on the day(within 0.1,as it fluctuates with the day),I check on my internet Banking.

Other ATMS do charge 180 for MasterCard and 150 for VISA,but not AEON.

And on the ATM I use at Udomsuk(BKK),there is no rate option to chose from.

Just quite sure why you say the general advice given by Jay55 was clueless. But anyway to possibly clarify for those listening in, the MasterCard fee of Bt180 and Visa fee of Bt150 only apply to foreign cards used in "Thai bank" ATMs; if using an AEON ATM a foreign card fee is not charged.

Summary: AEON ATM=no fees regardless of Visa or MasterCard logo....Thai bank ATM=Bt150 fee for a Visa card and Bt180 for a MasterCard. And remember we are talking fees charged by the ATM machine; not what your card-issuing bank may charge.

Oh, I stand corrected.

Do not follow that persons advice - he is clueless

Best cards for UK people to use in Thailand are:

Nationwide FlexPlus £10 monthly charge but has many benefits and if used correctly will cost you £5 a month - 3% interest on up £2500 - for that you will get Worldwide Travel Insurance, Mobile phone cover (without registering). Breakdown cover and extended warranties on all relevant goods (do not need to purchase them on card and covers you for goods you own prior to owning account) Commission Free Overseas Withdrawals

Norwich & Peterborough Gold Classic Account - free just credit with £500 and send straight out again - Commission Free Overseas Withdrawals - FREE - also get Sentinel Gold Cover - you can read more on this link -

http://www.nandp.co.uk/current-account/gold-classic-current-account/

Quite useful for a number of reasons - especially if you encounter problems overseas

Halifax Clarity - I will not cover this as not everyone can get it

Whose advice are you advising against following??

Nationwide FlexPlus at £120 annually, is hardly good value when you are paying for something that you don't need.

N&P Gold Classic and Light are fine.

Metro Bank Debit and Credit cards are at the top of the tree. No hoops to jump through and no fees to pay. No ATM fee at AEON. Alternatively withdraw in branch. Credit card is on par with the best Clarity rate. Only the Clarity Rewards can offer better value, but that card is probably no longer available.

So take it easy with your opinions.

The guy was telling someone who was overseas without a UK address to apply for an account with Metro - who clearly WILL NOT open accounts for people without one!

Flex Plus has loads of benefits which you have chosen to ignore and with £2500 deposited receiving 3% interest so the £10 is reduced greatly , WW Travel Insurance and Mobile Phone Insurance - plus other benefits - is that not worth £5 a month (if £2500 deposited) or even £10 a month without?

there are added benefits like pay an extra £25 per annum and you can travel more than 31 days and up to 45 days and ZERO excess on any claims on your Travel Insurance

Personally I do not like to withdraw in branch - I do not like carrying my Passport around and I have a K Bank which I send money to via Halifax

The cards are as a back up and for taking advantage of all the products available as extras

I have all the cards mentioned apart from Clarity

I stick to the AMEX Starwood card which gives me 11k miles on sign up - £75 annual charge and point per £ spent and an extra 5000 miles once I reach 20,000 points (20,000 miles)

The guy was telling someone who was overseas without a UK address to apply for an account with Metro - who clearly WILL NOT open accounts for people without one!

Flex Plus has loads of benefits which you have chosen to ignore and with £2500 deposited receiving 3% interest so the £10 is reduced greatly , WW Travel Insurance and Mobile Phone Insurance - plus other benefits - is that not worth £5 a month (if £2500 deposited) or even £10 a month without?

there are added benefits like pay an extra £25 per annum and you can travel more than 31 days and up to 45 days and ZERO excess on any claims on your Travel Insurance

Personally I do not like to withdraw in branch - I do not like carrying my Passport around and I have a K Bank which I send money to via Halifax

The cards are as a back up and for taking advantage of all the products available as extras

I have all the cards mentioned apart from Clarity

I stick to the AMEX Starwood card which gives me 11k miles on sign up - £75 annual charge and point per £ spent and an extra 5000 miles once I reach 20,000 points (20,000 miles)

I don't see any evidence to proves that allegation.

As to the FlexPlus, I ignored the 'benefits' as they are useless to me.

I already have Worldwide Travel Insurance with no excess covering 90 days per trip. I don't need to pay £145 per annum to get a lesser policy from Nationwide. I don't need mobile telephone insurance, as my phone cost nothing. I don't want to have £2500 sitting in an account doing nothing so that I can get a few pounds in interest at the end of the year. I already have an Extended Warranty whilst using my Nationwide Gold CC.

So it may be good value if someone needs all of the items offered, but to suggest it's the best is just wrong.

Same with the N&P. Both of the Gold accounts have hoops that need traversing.

As to whether you have problems carrying your passport to the bank or getting to an AEON ATM, again that is personal to you.

I would like to add, if you are from the UK, that the cheapest way to withdraw money is with a Halifax clarity credit card. Socrates I think did mention it, you will need a good credit score to qualify. There is no foreign exchange fee (any where in the world) so you can get the best rate possible. There is also no cash withdrawal fee but will be charged interest on the money you withdraw even if you pay in full. The interest is 12.9% so the amount they will charge will still be less (£1/month per £100 withdrawn) though I got 19.6% for my card so not as good.

In fact I got a clarity card just for travelling with and intend to preload my card with cash to get the benefits without the interest charge, that with withdrawing from Aeon machines should eliminate charges.

https://www.metrobankonline.co.uk/Global/Metro%20Bank%20Online%20-%20January%202013/What%20you%20need%20to%20open%20an%20account%20-%20Personal/What_You_Need_PersonalAcc_223%20PF380-06.13.pdf

As for the other bits - there are a lot more people that do have a phone that costs money than do not

Interested to know who your Travel Insurance is with

And you are not paying £145 just for the insurance as previously stated

So you would rather have £2500 sitting somewhere it earns no interest?

And its not pennies interest its around £70 after tax (or so)

The hoop traversing is £500 in (electronically) and £500 out (electronically) - hardly hoops

Every time this allegation is made it has always been traced back to the originating bank charging the fee, not AEON

Literally hundreds of us here at TV have used AEON successfully for years and have never paid a fee to AEON. Are we all liars or are the rest, who say that AEON has charged a fee, wrong once again ?

• Like 1

I would like to add, if you are from the UK, that the cheapest way to withdraw money is with a Halifax clarity credit card. Socrates I think did mention it, you will need a good credit score to qualify. There is no foreign exchange fee (any where in the world) so you can get the best rate possible. There is also no cash withdrawal fee but will be charged interest on the money you withdraw even if you pay in full. The interest is 12.9% so the amount they will charge will still be less (£1/month per £100 withdrawn) though I got 19.6% for my card so not as good.

In fact I got a clarity card just for travelling with and intend to preload my card with cash to get the benefits without the interest charge, that with withdrawing from Aeon machines should eliminate charges.

You shouldn't repeat nonsense just because you read it somewhere.

As to preloading the card, it is against the T&C. Let's hope that it doesn't invalidate your Section 75 guarantee and perhaps worse, they withdraw your account completely.

• Like 2

https://www.metrobankonline.co.uk/Global/Metro%20Bank%20Online%20-%20January%202013/What%20you%20need%20to%20open%20an%20account%20-%20Personal/What_You_Need_PersonalAcc_223%20PF380-06.13.pdf

As for the other bits - there are a lot more people that do have a phone that costs money than do not

The hoop traversing is £500 in (electronically) and £500 out (electronically) - hardly hoops

I meant evidence that he told someone without a UK address to apply for it. It looked like a general suggestion to me. Your response was uncalled for.

Who says I have £2500 sitting around with no interest. My money works for me. The insurance is useless to me, as it can never meet my needs for travel. As I stated before, if someone can make use of all of the benefits, it can be good value. Otherwise you are paying for things that you do not need. Paying out £145 per annum and getting a lesser policy than I have now would not make sense. I pay around £57 per annum for my policy.

Traversing £500 in and out of an account is a hoop that you do not traverse with the Metro Bank products.

So rather than bandying statements such as "Best cards for UK people to use in Thailand are..:" ...you could simply write that they are amongst the best in group and let people decide for themselves as to whether they pay out £145 per annum and have £2500 sitting in an account that they won't use or whether they wish to cycle £500 in and out of an account... whilst bluntly stating that the Metro Bank card as a Mastercard will attract an 180 fee instead of an 150 baht fee from a standard ATM.

I think you may find that many would prefer a no fee, no hoop jumping card as their best pick. Especially as they can avoid any ATM fee by withdrawing over the counter. Paying 150 baht each time you withdraw will surely whittle away any savings you may have made.

The products are good, but that does not mean that they are the best for everyone.

You shouldn't repeat nonsense just because you read it somewhere.

As to preloading the card, it is against the T&C. Let's hope that it doesn't invalidate your Section 75 guarantee and perhaps worse, they withdraw your account completely.

I'm curious as to why you think it is nonsense?

It is true that I gained that information from a site called the 'money saving expert' but as a number of people have looked into the different cards and made recommendations on the best ones that they found I'm prepared to give them a go and try them out. All the information about the cards are true so it has saved me the hassle and time in having to do the research myself.

I meant evidence that he told someone without a UK address to apply for it. It looked like a general suggestion to me. Your response was uncalled for.

Who says I have £2500 sitting around with no interest. My money works for me. The insurance is useless to me, as it can never meet my needs for travel. As I stated before, if someone can make use of all of the benefits, it can be good value. Otherwise you are paying for things that you do not need. Paying out £145 per annum and getting a lesser policy than I have now would not make sense. I pay around £57 per annum for my policy.

You yet to share with is who this is with

Traversing £500 in and out of an account is a hoop that you do not traverse with the Metro Bank products.

You do not get any added extras with Metro - so no hoop - no extras - simple hoops - you get benefits/extras

So rather than bandying statements such as "Best cards for UK people to use in Thailand are..:" ...you could simply write that they are amongst the best in group and let people decide for themselves as to whether they pay out £145 per annum and have £2500 sitting in an account that they won't use or whether they wish to cycle £500 in and out of an account... whilst bluntly stating that the Metro Bank card as a Mastercard will attract an 180 fee instead of an 150 baht fee from a standard ATM.

But the Metro does charge 180 baht (unless used in AEON) thats a fact - also they do not have the coverage of branches (yet)

They do not have to pay the extra £25 if they do not travel for more than 31 days or are prepared to pay an excess

I think you may find that many would prefer a no fee, no hoop jumping card as their best pick. Especially as they can avoid any ATM fee by withdrawing over the counter. Paying 150 baht each time you withdraw will surely whittle away any savings you may have made.

The products are good, but that does not mean that they are the best for everyone.

You are it sounds in the minority so when I said BEST it means for the majority as the Best Buys apply to majorities

Edited by socrates28

You yet to share with is who this is with

You do not get any added extras with Metro - so no hoop - no extras - simple hoops - you get benefits/extras

But the Metro does charge 180 baht (unless used in AEON) thats a fact - also they do not have the coverage of branches (yet)

They do not have to pay the extra £25 if they do not travel for more than 31 days or are prepared to pay an excess

You are it sounds in the minority so when I said BEST it means for the majority as the Best Buys apply to majorities

Metro Bank doesn't charge anything, silly boy.

As to these cards you mention, I posted about them long before you obtained your info from MoneySavingExpert. So I know all about them.

By your logic supermarket potatoes are better than organic homegrown as they are more readily available.

No doubt people would prefer not to cycle money in and out of an account if you can get a near identical account where you don't need to do that.

In your slightly obsessive world it might seem the normal thing to do. Forget and you are hit with a £5 fine.

It is useful to have VISA debit, especially in some South American countries.

But to say it is the best, based on your odd habits, is just bizarre. I get a better exchange rate via Mastercard and I can get myself to an AEON ATM without drama. They also have the top CC on the market(based on the fact that they have one interest rate for all customers, not three) and I can administer all from one account.

Nothing wrong with the N&P accounts. I was among the first to recommend them, if not the first.

So, take it easy. wink.png

I take 30,000 baht out of my Charles Schwab account every month using Aeon and a Schwab debit card.  I have never been charged a fee.  Schwab also charges nothing and I get the Interbank Exchange rate minus 1/2 of 1%.  It's about the best deal going.

Just so no one thinks Schawb charges a 1/2 to 1% fee the Interbank exchange rate is basically the Forex rate or what the the big currency wholesalers/currency traders/big banks get; not what the comman man can get. The Schwab Visa card, a no foriegn transaction card, gets the full Visa exchange rate which will be plus or minus a few stang of the Thai bank TT Buying Rate used for incoming wire transfers. I also have the card and use it all the time.

Sent from my Onda V971 tablet

Metro Bank doesn't charge anything, silly boy.

You know exactly what I meant - there is a 180 baht charge as its MC not Visa - which if I remember rightly I FIRST pointed out to you - and you ridiculed it - cannot be bothered to look back and show you

As to these cards you mention, I posted about them long before you obtained your info from MoneySavingExpert. So I know all about them.

You may very well know about them but others do not - the info was not for your benefit it was for others - and as you do not look at them objectively - you will never share the overall benefit of them to MOST people

By your logic supermarket potatoes are better than organic homegrown as they are more readily available.

You lost me there - but I am sure you are right

No doubt people would prefer not to cycle money in and out of an account if you can get a near identical account where you don't need to do that.
In your slightly obsessive world it might seem the normal thing to do. Forget and you are hit with a £5 fine.

How can you forget if you have standing orders set up

As for obsessive I am nowhere near as obsessive as you about always being right

It is useful to have VISA debit, especially in some South American countries.

Would not know about that - but I will take your word - useful information for all us

But to say it is the best, based on your odd habits, is just bizarre. I get a better exchange rate via Mastercard and I can get myself to an AEON ATM without drama. They also have the top CC on the market(based on the fact that they have one interest rate for all customers, not three) and I can administer all from one account.

I am not saying they are the best the Best Buy Tables say they are the best - I pick and choose the bits that are relevant to me and my situation in Thailand

Nothing wrong with the N&P accounts. I was among the first to recommend them, if not the first.

And that makes you feel good - doesn't it!

Why not be the first to tell us about your wonderful Travel Insurance policy I see you have failed to share that one so far - or is it made up just to prove a point?

So, take it easy. xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

I am very relaxed and will be back in LoS in 3 weeks