For those of you married to thai ladies that already have kids

snake24

Just like your own....except when they are bad you can say "You are no child of mine" and unlike in the west you will be sure you are not lying.

What is important to remember is that although the kids will call you 'Dad' they are likely to check everything you say with the mum.

Never bring children of school age upwards into you home. They'll break your heart everytime.

Under two years of age is OK they may well come to see you a their real father in time.

Sorry I disagree, in fact I would say its the opposite abount many things, my daughter (I call her mine) has been with me since she was six years, she is now thirteen. To date she has not broke my heart.

I take it you speak from experience, at what age was your son/daughter when you felt this happen.

Daughters will always break their father's heart...it goeds with the territory...there is always a time you lose them, it is called growing up. Luckily if you have done well you will stay in their heart as they will yours even if they do go their own way.
Sort of agree and disagree. It depends on what your expectations are when they go through that growing up teenage stage, their awareness and response to their parents and how quickly they learn. My wife's two children came into our family unit at different times - the eldest at 14 and youngest at 12.

The eldest now at 20 and now doing well at university brought one of those warm dad moments when I recently over heard her advising her older girl friends going through relationship break ups to "listen to their mums and dads as their love and advice is the best you will fine". Hells bells....so what if a child dents your heart a little when they are taking those difficult steps through their teenage years. Hearts heal real quick and for gems like that from a beautiful young woman that treasures me as her Dad I would not trade for all the gold in Thailand.

• Like 2

Wow all heart warming stories here but this is so uncommon from what we read about kids who have a new step parent. Usually they get ill treated or neglected.

Wonder if it's cause the dads in here are mostly foreigners and might face problems with their marriage to their thai wives in which they would mostly be at the losing end.

I noticed that most of these stories are with the dads residing in thailand and not their thai wives going off to live with them in their country.

Wow all heart warming stories here but this is so uncommon from what we read about kids who have a new step parent. Usually they get ill treated or neglected.

Wonder if it's cause the dads in here are mostly foreigners and might face problems with their marriage to their thai wives in which they would mostly be at the losing end.

I noticed that most of these stories are with the dads residing in thailand and not their thai wives going off to live with them in their country.

Mostly be at the losing end..... ?

You raise an interesting discussion point that risks wandering off the OP's topic.

This thread has attracted more positive stories than I anticipated - but I wonder if that is in part a reluctance by those people that have suffered really bad experiences from talking about them?

I've seen a few with expat friends.

The common crux has appeared to be where a Thai fathered teenage boy has failed to establish anything close to a father-son relationship with his mother's new partner and the only solution is like fighting dogs to keep them apart.

The son is governed by his mother's need for a stable income and the farang governed by his need for visa extension of stay based on marriage.

well where do I start? first I don't consider mine a bad experience, met my wife around nine

years ago, she had two girls and a boy, I married her around two years later, both the girls

have been good kids 99.9% of the time, but the lad although pleasant enough has been more trouble than both his sisters and my other three kids back in the uk.

he started playing up about five/six years ago, at 14/15 he started missing school, progressed to drinking whiskey on to weed and then started to really piss me off when he went on to stealing money from the house.

in the end I said either he goes or I go, all this came to a head when I discovered a sword in his bedroom, when I enquired what was the sword about I got told a story about a ghost

so I decided ghost or no ghost "daddy" could have a turn of putting up with him in Bangkok

(I had bumped into the lad and a few of his mates one night ,and was not impressed at all with the company he kept nor their attitudes)

but before he left he gave someone ten stitches in their head, we got that sorted and I asked his two uncles and a thai lad who was in with the police, to give him a fright by

locking him up for a few days, without him knowing it was not for real.

this seems to have worked as he has not been in trouble since (two years)but from what I can gather he has no job, on a recent visit I caught his mother slipping him money on several occasions, she tells me he's doing this job or that job but I think she just

keeps covering for him, its starting to have an effect on my relationship with her, as

if she goes shopping she's always has to buy him clothes.

I have pointed out to my wife that when I joined the Norwegian navy at 15 year's old my mother instructed me on how much I had to send home every month, not the other way round.

but I know a few other expats who are experiencing a similar scenario with teenage thai

lads, is it just the way thai mothers tend to spoil their sons.

sorry if it dragged on but just my own experience.

• Like 1