"Shakedown in Chiang Mai" or just paranoid?

tpthai2

Take a look at this site: www.chinavasion.com

I bought a rear view mirror with built in GPS, wifi reversing camera and front facing recording camera. $200 all in - delivered tax free by China Post. Convenience and insurance in one cheap package IMO.

Cheers,

Pikey.

• Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't satisfy the gossip mongers with the video then you are automatically delusional. Possibly they could contemplate their sense of entitlement. Put them in the OP's situation and they would be unlikely to show the video as well. Provincial bores.

Actually, given that this is Thaivisa, with more than its fair share of weirdo fantasists, it's not more than common sense than to thoughtlessly go gaga over anything that comes out of the woodwork.

Not saying that OP is one, of course, but grabbing a still image off the dashcam is so trivial that it's puzzling why we're still waiting for it.

• Like 2

If you don't satisfy the gossip mongers with the video then you are automatically delusional. Possibly they could contemplate their sense of entitlement. Put them in the OP's situation and they would be unlikely to show the video as well. Provincial bores.

Absolutely if this happened to me, I'd post it to show others what happened. It's a pretty big story that I have never heard before.

The video doesn't identify the Driver, the car or any useful details.

Whats the point having the camera and telling a story if you don't back it up with the video?

Pointless...

• Like 2

I was back in home country for a week and bought one on Amazon for under 1000 baht - picked up a 32GB card here in Thailand for a few hundred baht - grat device - stuck on window behind mirror and plugged into 12v socket - installation time 2 minutes. great device.

Its a made up story .Maybe the OP is in the dash cam business ?

If you think he made this up you're crediting him with a vivid imagination, and if he didn't make it up , by demanding photographic proof, you're crediting yourselves with a lack of imagination.

• Like 1

If you think he made this up you're crediting him with a vivid imagination, and if he didn't make it up , by demanding photographic proof, you're crediting yourselves with a lack of imagination.

>>by demanding photographic proof,<<

PRAY TELL ,WHERE I DID THAT ? The story is as about believable as Santa Klaus lol .

I bet the scam artist will start to wonder why all the farangs in cnx suddenly have dash cams..,. ;)

sad look on their face, shrug their shoulders and have to think of another scam.

Absolutely if this happened to me, I'd post it to show others what happened. It's a pretty big story that I have never heard before.

Whats the point having the camera and telling a story if you don't back it up with the video?

Pointless...

The point in having the camera is to sort out real shit, not play games about shit that was avoided.

You would post if it were you and then you would have a crooked cop and a scam artist after you, good luck, think they could not find you, wrong..

Pointless...

The point in having the camera is to sort out real shit, not play games about shit that was avoided.

You would post if it were you and then you would have a crooked cop and a scam artist after you, good luck, think they could not find you, wrong..

I'll be more than happy to be proved wrong with a video, but my bet is that it didn't happen...

I'd have no hesitation in posting a video if this happened to me...but I would have let the scenario play out get real evidence of the "scam artist" and "crooked cop".

I'm not scared of my own shadow.

Pics (or video) or it didn't happen.

Totaly agree, OP comes with a story that he filmed, he is willing to share the story but comes without prove.

Is that without 'proof' Kalbo?

I have no doubt this report is real. Heard many similar reports, even had to sort out a road scam when my son visited me a few years ago. I blasted the scammer and the police accomplish (in fluent Thai) and they just withered away. My son was shit scared , had little money in his pocket, and brought them all back to my house to borrow money from me. I was having none of it and sent them all packing.

>>by demanding photographic proof,<<

PRAY TELL ,WHERE I DID THAT ? The story is as about believable as Santa Klaus lol .

No need to shout. The comment was a general statement to the doubters. Edited by Chiengmaijoe

It was good of him to share his experience as a warning to others. I'm sure he's not the least bit concerned about the fact that some anonymous idiots don't believe him. I know I wouldn't be. He's provided a service to the sensible people who read it, as for the disbelievers, who cares?

Agree. For those who are pushing for him to post the video, think about it. If the individuals see the video they will know who posted it and it could have repercussions. Remember where you are.

How much are the Dashcams here? Any suggested brands and where to buy one in Chiang Mai?

\

Thanks in advance!

I bought mine here --->

http://www.lazada.co.th/h198-1080p-top-103736.html?recomReferer=category%2Fcat_ts

They deliver free, you can pay cash on delivery (no extra charge). I bought this one at 750 baht, but don't forget to buy a memory card as it comes without. Get at least a 16 GB card. Might be cheap but it's been working fine for 3 months now.

Maybe I am paranoid too but I have ordered one tonight so many thanks for your recommendation. Postage wasnt free but only 89baht.

Thanks againrolleyes.gif

I know where I am. In Chiang Mai. In Thailand. I have been here for quite a while. Been other places, too. I am not an innocent, but I really do have problems with the --- at least somewhat para --- paranoid posters. For heaven's sake, if you have to go through life with a webcam focused on your front bonnet and a couple of meters beyond, then I really wonder how you get through the day! Have you spent too much time watching American "reality" TV?

Maybe you are all just gadget lovers. That's okay. But I have one friend who spends so much time watching his dash-mounted GPS device telling him which way to go that he doesn't look where he is going !!! And he won't turn off his frickin' phone! Scares hell out of me in his passenger seat! I might even turn to god for help on one of these trips!

Back to the point of the OP and one critic who commented later. I am not a voyeur. I don't get the hots watching videos of alleged scammers. I have limited patience with unsubstantiated headline-seeking posts on TV that are nothing but unsubsubstantiated crap to gather a crowd !

So, OP and others of your ilk, I hope you stay home hugging your reality TV or pack it up and return elsewhere, wherever that is, where you will feel safe from any scamful harm. Or keep your worries to your beer bar buddies. Cheers!

Edited by Mapguy

Even though i poo pood the origional story and i still do .i think Dash cams are a good idea .Does anyone know of a water proof one for a Motorcycle .

That's weird. You don't believe that this happened but you believe that it is likely enough to happen for you to want to urgently buy a dash cam!! You're taking advice from a guy that you've accused of being a liar. TITV.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

I know where I am. In Chiang Mai. In Thailand. I have been here for quite a while. Been other places, too. I am not an innocent, but I really do have problems with the --- at least somewhat para --- paranoid posters. For heaven's sake, if you have to go through life with a webcam focused on your front bonnet and a couple of meters beyond, then I really wonder how you get through the day! Have you spent too much time watching American "reality" TV?

Maybe you are all just gadget lovers. That's okay. But I have one friend who spends so much time watching his dash-mounted GPS device telling him which way to go that he doesn't look where he is going !!! And he won't turn off his frickin' phone! Scares hell out of me in his passenger seat! I might even turn to god for help on one of these trips!

Back to the point of the OP and one critic who commented later. I am not a voyeur. I don't get the hots watching videos of alleged scammers. I have limited patience with unsubstantiated headline-seeking posts on TV that are nothing but unsubsubstantiated crap to gather a crowd !

So, OP and others of your ilk, I hope you stay home hugging your reality TV or pack it up and return elsewhere, wherever that is, where you will feel safe from any scamful harm. Or keep your worries to your beer bar buddies. Cheers!

I agree. There are plenty of ways in which we can all come unstuck but in 20+ years here I've never had a problem and don't feel the need to have a dash cam, as cheap and useful as they may well be. Each to there own though.

I find the story believable as this type of scam is so common in other countries. In USA cops are not usually involved, all about phony medical claims. Would not be surprised if farangs are targeted. (I know a guy who is doing the expat thing in Manila. It is so bad there he won't drive his own car. Got a driver, he hides in the back with a hat and dark sunglasses.)

In my case I have 30+ years driving experience. I'm not perfect. As a kid I once rear-ended a vehicle in busy traffic trying to read a streetmap. I was driving a company car doing a delivery. Confessed my responsibility, and to my surprise my boss did not sack me. Over all it was a good learning experience.

Since then I have been hit while stopped at a traffic light 3 times. I was T-boned by an 18 year old girl who ran a red light , chicky had been issued her license 2 weeks earlier. Another time run off the road in a hit and run that totalled my vehicle.** Every time besides once the other party lied making up some outrageous story for the cops and insurance.

I also recently noticed almost every vehicle in Japan is video equipped, That and this topic has motivated me to get a dash cam. Thought of the GoPro just because I have one already but they are so cheap I will just get a proper system installed.

So the next time somebody crashes into me, fine, we're insured . Just tired of the lies and BS of those who are unable to take responsibility for their careless motoring.

Edited by arunsakda