Like I Predicted, Us Dollar Is Down, Down, Down!

Congratulations on your accurate prediction. However, keep in mind that if anyone could accurately predict the future values of currencies they would be very rich. Some of the best financial minds on earth are constantly trying to make these predictions, and half the time they are wrong. If you made a good guess and invested some money on that guess then I congratulate you, but don't count on your ability to be correct on a regular basis.

Since I do not know the future direction of currency valuations, I believe in diversifying. As other posters have pointed out, Everbank may not be the best way to do this. I buy stock and bond mutual funds that invest in all the world markets and get currency diversification that way.

I agree predicting currency futures is one of the hardest proffesions,but the time frame & coorporate greed are not in their favour.I'm no forex guru,but the subject is the current US$ & certain cicumstances dont seem to favour it,just my observation,I think I would be going short or implacing putts when the US$ is concerned.If I was a gambling man I would be ploughing it into gold rather then the US$.

That all makes sense to me, but it also made sense to me 15 years ago when the same problems existed and I bet that the dollar was going to go down. I lost money on that bet. There are so many variables in the world economy. It is beyond my ability to predict. I just diversify into all major currencies and stock markets with diversified international stock and bond funds.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.00 USD = 37.9702 THB

Upward trend is back - as I predicted - hate being right! :D

It's not just USD against THB. It's overall performance of USD and it's not going well. Down big against EUR and JPY.

Congratulations on your accurate prediction. However, keep in mind that if anyone could accurately predict the future values of currencies they would be very rich.

I am not rich by any means but I am doing quite well with my currency plays. It paid for my new house. People can predict currency moves and that is why there are forex traders around. If you know what you're doing, you can make money. :o

A weak dollar is good for the US economy so why would they want to even try to prop it up? My income is in dollars and I live in Thailand so I don't care about other currencies. The baht has weakened today to 38.12 to a dollar. That's a long ways from the 25 to a dollar that I figured it could eventually get back to. Will the baht continue to weaken? I would guess that it will.

I am not rich by any means but I am doing quite well with my currency plays. It paid for my new house. People can predict currency moves and that is why there are forex traders around. If you know what you're doing, you can make money. :o

Congratulations. However, I remain skeptical. Some people make money. Some people lose money. George Soros, one of the smartest currency traders on earth has at times lost huge amounts of money when he bet wrong.

I don't know you or know how smart you are, but I think it is misleading to suggest there is easy money to be made in currency plays. It is just like the stock market. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. If you have had recent wins you feel like a genius, but in the long run, you win some and you lose some.

It is just like the stock market. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. If you have had recent wins you feel like a genius, but in the long run, you win some and you lose some.

Making a bad decision and losing money is always possible. I never said investing in forex was easy. In fact, I have told people that if they aren't familiar with it, to avoid it completely.

To date, I have not made one losing forex investment. (Knock on wood!) :o

A weak dollar is good for the US economy so why would they want to even try to prop it up? My income is in dollars and I live in Thailand so I don't care about other currencies. The baht has weakened today to 38.12 to a dollar. That's a long ways from the 25 to a dollar that I figured it could eventually get back to. Will the baht continue to weaken? I would guess that it will.

It not all good. It will reduce the trade deficit but there are negative implications as well.

Weak dollar means higher cost of imported goods. that means inflation. That means raising interest rates to stop this inflation. That means higher financing costs for companies, which equals lower profits. This means a slow down in the economy.

However, it is inevitable, as the world will not pay the bills for the US forever.