The best Indian restaurant in Chaing Mai

pinkpanther99

No expert on any food but there is a small Indian food place across the street on Loi Kroh from the Donghtawan hotel that I really liked. Been a while as the servoce was really bad. Am going to go back as they still seem to be open so the service must have improved.

Like Spice in the night Bazaar as they have several different naan bread and about 10 different chicken cooked the tandoori way. The Wife likes it as they have enough Thai dishes to please her.

The one opposite Duangtawan Hotel gets my vote for best Indian restaurant in CM.

No expert on any food but there is a small Indian food place across the street on Loi Kroh from the Donghtawan hotel that I really liked. Been a while as the servoce was really bad. Am going to go back as they still seem to be open so the service must have improved.

Like Spice in the night Bazaar as they have several different naan bread and about 10 different chicken cooked the tandoori way. The Wife likes it as they have enough Thai dishes to please her.

The one opposite Duangtawan Hotel gets my vote for best Indian restaurant in CM.

I like that one too, but have not eaten there for a while.

All in all most of the Indian restaurants in Chiang Mai are pretty poor, I find Kebab house the best of a bad bunch, I must admit I like the somewhat grubby Indian style of the place which makes it feel more authentic, the samosas are pretty good as is the chai tea, the main courses are OK but not up to the standards of a good English curry house. Not one to take a first date but after a few beers, a kebab and a couple of samosas washed down with a chai tea hits the spot.smile.png

• Like 2

Hinlay seems to have stood the test of time and consistency is certainly not prevalent among restaurants of a similar nature.

Haven't been to Hinlay's in a couple of years, but my recollection was that they were cooking their curries in advance in bulk and then reheated individual servings for customers, and that with the exception of the vindaloo the curries were very bland. Has that changed? Only good thing that I remember about the place was that they served the food quickly.

I think almost all of these places cook their curry in advance, in bulk. Places like this are too small to have 8 large pots simmering in the kitchen on the remote chance they would sell that much food. I would bet that on some days there is hardly any customers. A lot of the well-known Western restaurants in town boil a pouch of the food that has been prepared in advance. Also with the slow kitchen staff customers would be waiting all day for the food.

BTW, the g/f is downstairs cooking Moo Hinlay. Her recipe is better than anywhere I have had it but that is beside the point. She started an hour ago and told me that it will still be simmering away at 1:00 A.M. tomorrow. After it cools by morning, individual portions will be frozen for use later. So most places couldn't do it any other way.

I don't think Hinlay Restaurant is bland at all. Maybe give it another try.

Hinlay seems to have stood the test of time and consistency is certainly not prevalent among restaurants of a similar nature.

Haven't been to Hinlay's in a couple of years, but my recollection was that they were cooking their curries in advance in bulk and then reheated individual servings for customers, and that with the exception of the vindaloo the curries were very bland. Has that changed? Only good thing that I remember about the place was that they served the food quickly.

I think almost all of these places cook their curry in advance, in bulk. Places like this are too small to have 8 large pots simmering in the kitchen on the remote chance they would sell that much food. I would bet that on some days there is hardly any customers. A lot of the well-known Western restaurants in town boil a pouch of the food that has been prepared in advance. Also with the slow kitchen staff customers would be waiting all day for the food.

BTW, the g/f is downstairs cooking Moo Hinlay. Her recipe is better than anywhere I have had it but that is beside the point. She started an hour ago and told me that it will still be simmering away at 1:00 A.M. tomorrow. After it cools by morning, individual portions will be frozen for use later. So most places couldn't do it any other way.

I don't think Hinlay Restaurant is bland at all. Maybe give it another try.

Can you get the girlfriend to open a place smile.png

Agreed the curries have most likely been cooked in advance and frozen but quiet often the curry tastes all the better for this

• Like 1

Of course worthwhile Indian restaurants cook some of their curries in advance. Depending on the curry, the flavor improves the day after, because the spices and other flavours have had a chance to blend. Some dishes have to be cooked in advance to be at their best. This is not a valid criticism of Hinlay or of any Indian restaurant. Nor is it true that Hinlay's curries are bland. Of course they have milder and spicier dishes on the menu. I suggest you try Hinlay again and order one of the spicier dishes.

Dondorondo now you've told us where not to go where do you recommend.

He and I see eye to eye on this:

For me they're all decent but not great so I go with value and mostly end up at Kebob House and Royal India. Love Indian food.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Dondorondo now you've told us where not to go where do you recommend.

He and I see eye to eye on this:

For me they're all decent but not great so I go with value and mostly end up at Kebob House and Royal India. Love Indian food.

Thanks for the help, I'll have to try not to respond on my cell while weaving between traffic at 120 km/hr next time (but at least I was wearing helmet at the time)

Dondorondo now you've told us where not to go where do you recommend. As I don't know Indian food too well I have no answer for the OP myself. Anyone else have an opinion on Taj Mahal?

I've been to quite a few Indian restaurants in Chiang Mai, and Taj Mahal is now the one I'm happy to return to.

Whilst the food isn't on a par with my favourites in the UK, it's a decent option. The chicken tikka massala was a disappointment, but all the other dishes I've tasted have all been pretty good.

The portions are very reasonable, and the nan bread is fantastic.

A couple of minor downsides - the decor is too basic and dosent do the place justice, and the beer is overpriced at circa 115/120 for a large chang. Also the restaurant is quiet whenever I visit - I hope they are doing ok.

I'm no expert food critic, but I know what I like, and I like the Taj Mahal.

• 5 months later...

My wife and I have been visitors off and on to Chiang Mai for well over a quarter of a century now, and we always make a point of trying at least one Indian restaurant on our stay. Recently tried Spices Indian restaurant for lunch at 94 Thapae Rd. Seems to be run by a mother and daughter, originally from Nepal. Nothing fancy inside, but good service and most important, they know how to cook. Had the chicken biryani with plenty of chunks of quality white meat, vegetable pakoras, parathas and whole wheat roties. Couldn't find fault with any of the orders. Also choices on the menu for vegetarians. One of the best Indian style restaurants on our many visits to Chiang Mai over the years, and believe me, most of the places we've tried in the past have been absolutely terrible.

Dondorondo now you've told us where not to go where do you recommend. As I don't know Indian food too well I have no answer for the OP myself. Anyone else have an opinion on Taj Mahal?

I've been to quite a few Indian restaurants in Chiang Mai, and Taj Mahal is now the one I'm happy to return to.

I finally tried the Taj Mahal and it is very good for Chiang Mai. I have seen the owner of one of my other favorite Indian places eating there several times, which probably means something. He seemed to be a regular customer - there for the food - as not much conversation with the owner of the Taj Mahal.

The cleanliness of kebab house really put me off, will not be risking my health in there again. They were reusing the dips for masala dosa from other people and the build up of sludge around the bowls looked very old. Was surprised the next day when I didn't get the runs. Hinlay seemed far cleaner and I will certainly be returning as the food was tasty and served In a pleasant setting.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The cleanliness of kebab house really put me off, will not be risking my health in there again. They were reusing the dips for masala dosa from other people and the build up of sludge around the bowls looked very old. Was surprised the next day when I didn't get the runs. Hinlay seemed far cleaner and I will certainly be returning as the food was tasty and served In a pleasant setting.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

i would suggest that Kebab House is infinitely cleaner than the average restaurant in India. i've been going there since they opened and don't believe they were "reusing the dips for masala dosa from other people." i didn't even know they served dosa there.

Hinlay is a nice place, but it's not really Indian food. i do like it there and enjoy the Thai and Indian dishes.

• Like 1

re

Recently tried Spices Indian restaurant for lunch at 94 Thapae Rd. Seems to be run by a mother and daughter, originally from Nepal. Nothing fancy inside, but good service and most important, they know how to cook

here ya go :)

dave2

post-42592-0-80506500-1395451116_thumb.j

post-42592-0-09399900-1395451154_thumb.j

i would suggest that Kebab House is infinitely cleaner than the average restaurant in India.

That's a fact, Jack, and the food is pretty much the same as the cheap joints that I frequented in Delhi. smile.png

Edited by Ulysses G.

I don't know why you lads don't try to make your own,curries

its not rocket science and all the ingredients are available in

Chiang Mai.

It affords many advantages,firstly you will know whats going

in to it,and the preparation will be hygienic,all the ingredients

can be easily found,and the price of vegetables are cheap at

the moment,Makro has Mothers spices on offer at the moment

about 6 different curries for 25 bht per box,I can make at least

6 curries from 1 box.

I can make a curry now as good as any restaurant here,what

I could not make was Nans, they would have made excellent

roofing tiles,but I can now get Rang Mahal Nans at Makro

only 89 bht for 5,made in India they are the real deal,also

they have pompadums ,and potato curry puffs 39bht 10,

Making your own curries is easier than you think,and with a

bit practice you could be making wonderful curries,if you make

with fresh meats that have not been frozen, you can make

more curry at a time and freeze it.

Regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

I went looking in Makro, Hang Dong Road. I could not find the MP nans - though I did find the pappadoms, and also the Shan spice mixes. Any hints? Also I didn't fancy the Shan box pictures of any but the kebabs and I picked up the remaining two boxes of those.

My wife and I have been visitors off and on to Chiang Mai for well over a quarter of a century now, and we always make a point of trying at least one Indian restaurant on our stay. Recently tried Spices Indian restaurant for lunch at 94 Thapae Rd. Seems to be run by a mother and daughter, originally from Nepal. Nothing fancy inside, but good service and most important, they know how to cook. Had the chicken biryani with plenty of chunks of quality white meat, vegetable pakoras, parathas and whole wheat roties. Couldn't find fault with any of the orders. Also choices on the menu for vegetarians. One of the best Indian style restaurants on our many visits to Chiang Mai over the years, and believe me, most of the places we've tried in the past have been absolutely terrible.

There used to be similar place across the narrow road of the Imperial Ping Hotel - also owned by Nepalese. Wonder if it's the same people running/cooking here. I thought the previous place was ok but not much more. I'll try Spices.

Hi Triffid, you would think the all the Makros would carry the same stock,

but it looks like they don't, the one on Super Highway,defiantly has the

Nans, mothers spices and potato curry puffs as I stocked up there yesterday.

regards Worgeordie