Help solving 'ERROR The Requested URL could not be retrieved' problem

sellingmystuff

Hi,

I've been having a lot of problems getting the following page when trying to access various websites:

'ERROR The requested URL could not be retrieved

The following error was encountered while trying to retrieve the URL: http://ocs.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?

Read Error

The system returned: (104) Connection reset by peer

An error condition occurred while reading data from the network. Please retry your request.

Your cache administrator is webmaster.

Generated Thu, 03 Oct 2013 06:21:33 GMT by proxy-hotspot (squid/3.0.STABLE19)"

It's been happening for about two or three weeks. Primarily it happens with ebay.co.uk, but also with various BBC sites, UK-based newspapers and today with AirAsia. Often I can access certain pages, but then when I try to access a subsequent page I recieve the above message.

I've tried all the usual suggestions - clearing cache and history, changing DNS to 'open DNS', removing extensions - but nothing has fixed it.

I use True Internet via my apartment's wi-fi, I have an Apple laptop (Snow Leopard 10.6.8) and I've used Safari, Chrome and Foxfire and get the same problem with each browser.

I've found lots of mentions of this problem on Google, but haven't been able to find a definitive solution.

Any help would be VERY gratefully recieved.

Thank you!

The problem is with True.

As far as I can figure thay are doing massive filtering or bandwidth shaping and it is effecting the ability to load sites properly.

I have True and this has become a serious problem during the past month or so. Plus it varies with time of day. I know it is a problem specific to True, because if I go to Pattaya and use the internet on another ISP, there are no problems.

What's worse is that they appear to be playing with the parameters constantly. One day everything might work perfectly, the next is total crap.

I suspect your problem is snow leopard 10.6.8.I had so many connection problems with snow leopard on my mac in thailand a few years ago that I switched to a pc. It would suddenly drop my wireless connection.

Have a look here re a snow leopard combo update that seems to have worked for some people: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3139398?start=0&tstart=0

Edited by bkksiam

Thanks for some great tips. I tried a free 24 hour trial with CactusVPN. That seemed to solve the problem, so I need to find a good, safe and FREE VPN provider.

Yes, True has been in a real mess for the last month or so with the various redirections to ad sites, terrible connections, etc. Although today it does seem to be working a little better...so far!!

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Thanks for some great tips. I tried a free 24 hour trial with CactusVPN. That seemed to solve the problem, so I need to find a good, safe and FREE VPN provider.

Yes, True has been in a real mess for the last month or so with the various redirections to ad sites, terrible connections, etc. Although today it does seem to be working a little better...so far!!

Thanks again for everyone's help!

http://download.cnet.com/hotspot-shield/?tag=contentBody;pop

Hotspot shield is the link its a cnet download.Its totally free .It can be a pain in the ass at times because of the advertizments