Alternatives to Bakersmart and Yok?

luther

For quality knives buy online and have them sent over. For electronic appliances the cost of the good ones imported are typically 2-3 times the price of western prices.

Yok is good for most items, kitchen friend is slightly cheaper and will order anything that you need. Very nice family run business.

Where is Yok never heard of it

Cross the Narrowat bridge, pass the train station, hit the super highway (11) turn left, stay in left lane for four or five minutes, you'll see YOK.

Where is "kitchen friends", google turns up nothing?

Friends kitchen is the translation of the name in Thai where I believe Bakersmart is the English name but same place. This is a friendly family business where the family members not only happily help but are also knowledgeable. As for Yok never seen a smile and nobody seems to know anything and getting help is impossible. Just try to get your stuff rung up without the cashier making a phone call or stopping to talk with her friends in the middle. Even the parking in backwards with coming into the lots having to cross the cars coming out of it who are trying to merge onto the hi way. Bakersmart has better products too, check out some of the frozen puff pastries in the freezer by the cash out, good stuff!

I agree. Bakersmart is called Puen Crua (Kitchen Friend) in Thai and beats Yok hands down for a friendly place to shop. Hugely expanded range of hardware such as mixers in the last 6 months or so and there is a very helpful guy/katoey who speaks good English as well as the owners who are always on hand too. They are making their new building next door ready for something but I'm not exactly sure what it will be except there will be rooms for manufacturers to give demos to retailers and a coffee shop too.

• Like 1

Nong hoi road, past Mahidol road intersection going towards lamphun. About 300 meters on the left, before 89 Plaza.

They don't have high end equipment though. They do have some imported appliances and commercial appliance made from Thai manufacturers. NO high end quality knives, pans, pots etc. though.

Yok on superhighway does have more variety of chocolate, cheeses and some other things than puen krua/bakersmart. I never understand business that have two separate names. If you are an English speaker and need directions, and ask a Thai he/she won't know what you are talking about. Similar to Bangkok bank.

Happened to see this place mentioned on another thread.

http://www.somerville-siam.com/index.htm

http://www.somerville-siam.com/productimport/importcat.htm#1

should be of great interest to butterisbetter and others.

Thanks for that, some guys like to look at car sites or even search the web for girls pics but browsing thru that catalogue got me excited!

• Like 1

Bakersmart is just fine until you actually want some service for any appliance you purchased there. They do the full monty of Thai excuses and then refuse to communicate further. Before I tried to a lot of business with them but now... butter prices are the best in town and I ignore anything else.

Yok... terrible checkout service agreed.

For a few baht more you can get most everything at Rimping markets.

• Like 1

Bakersmart is just fine until you actually want some service for any appliance you purchased there. They do the full monty of Thai excuses and then refuse to communicate further. Before I tried to a lot of business with them but now... butter prices are the best in town and I ignore anything else.

A few Baht more? I buy olive oil at YOK, 1 litre made in Spain - 199 THB at YOK, 475 THB at Rimping. Same exact brand. Quite a difference!

My apologies... I should have noted that I was referring to baking supplies in particular. Your point is taken.

A few Baht more? I buy olive oil at YOK, 1 litre made in Spain - 199 THB at YOK, 475 THB at Rimping. Same exact brand. Quite a difference!

I've not seen Schmidt bakery supplies mentioned whenever discussing similar questions. They are located north of town on Highway 107 (Mae Rim Road) in Tambohn Don Kaew. They're on the right side (wrong side) of the highway when traveling north of Ringroad 3 / Highway 121. I remember stopping in there several years back, and as I recall they had a good inventory of baking equipment and products. You might want to stop and see what they offer.

You can see their sign at the entrance of their soi when traveling south. For a street view, click here: http://goo.gl/maps/Jsy3C

• Like 1