What is it about the Fortuner...

wedders

... that makes it the vehicle of choice for the large majority in that particular class?

I've been considering the MU-X, Pajero Sport and Fortuner Sportivo - 4WD models - and think I must be missing something. What do you get for the considerable extra cost with the top of range Fortuner that's missing on the Isuzu and Mitsubishi??

I've been renting for 2 years but saloon models, about time I stopped wasting money. Know very little about SUVs, although I've driven the MU-7 and Pajero a fair few times (never the Fortuner though).

Thanks for any thoughts. I'm hoping to take the plunge and make a final choice this weekend. ..

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toyota means reliability, buy and forget. In LOS Thai folk regard it as their Rolls Royce. smile.png

Yep Toyota's do tend to be reliably dull and forgettable but the other pick up based wagons are not that exciting either. They are all just a reasonable compromise for Thai taxes and road conditions, at least out side BKK.

The Fortuner is over priced partly because Ford and Isuzu have been pushing out dated designs for years and partly because Toyota have managed to convince some buyers that Mitsubishi or Isuzu are inferior brands. We have had a good run out of both a Fortuner and a PJS so IMO the Mitsu is better value.

The Trailblazer also seems a bit over priced so hopefully the new MU will bring some more competition. Question is where is the new Everest and what are Ford waiting for?

Sorry to say that you wont get a Sportivo as they were a limited addition now finished unless you can find a second hand one. Yes they are more expensive but very well finished. My Sportivo is now nearly 5 year's old built like a tank and the paint work seat's etc still look's like new. Has never missed a beat well once when the battery went on the blink, but that happens all the time over here. But you can save monies if you go for a Pajero then change the wheel's tyre's +++ I didn't as hated the wheel arches on the thing not to mention they lean big time on hilly bend's.

Someone more than likely a Pajero driver has just mentioned they drive like a boat utter bullshit, no SUV will handle like a sport's car they are what they are, I can sling mine about and it doesn't move an inch on the road, but then again the Sportivo does have different suspension wheel's tyres to the standard Fortuner.

Edited by fredob43

The Bargirl and Wannabes Choise, suffers from the Bad Drivers and is still a 1. 5 Mill Vigo,not a patch on the Honda CRV,thats not a truck with Chairs and Shed bolted on to it. Been there hate Em.

Very true and I've owned both the CRV and the Vigo, Vigo/Fortuner doesn't begin to compare to CRV.

• Like 1

The Bargirl and Wannabes Choise, suffers from the Bad Drivers and is still a 1. 5 Mill Vigo,not a patch on the Honda CRV,thats not a truck with Chairs and Shed bolted on to it. Been there hate Em.

Very true and I've owned both the CRV and the Vigo, Vigo/Fortuner doesn't begin to compare to CRV.

Yup. Crv beats fortuner every time. If only Honda had a diesel.

Sorry to say that you wont get a Sportivo as they were a limited addition now finished unless you can find a second hand one..

Well the new Fortuner model I looked at in the showroom Wednesday was the TRD Sportivo? So that would account for some of the difference in price...

But other than looks, extra performance isn't what I'm looking for in Thailand. Comfort, reasonable safety, big enough to be seen by at least some of the clueless people using Thai roads and hopefully to intimidate a few into not doing something stupid, being able to see over cars to spot the next crazy thing that's going to happen, ride through potholes and flash floods.... well you've heard it all before...

• Like 2

I had the top spec CRV diesel model in France, bought it when the new one came out in 2005. I liked it... but it's one of those cars that doesn't really know what it wants to be. A bit cramped for space, and not exactly spectacular to drive. Hired a bottom of range CRV in Chiang Mai once, thought it was very poor to drive, even a bit sluggish. Have preferred to drive the Pajero or MU-7 each time I've done long trips in Thailand. Don't see the point in throwing yourself around the bends here, when there's a cartload of durian trying to overtake a truck heading your way just around the corner.

• Like 1

But other than looks, extra performance isn't what I'm looking for in Thailand. Comfort, reasonable safety, big enough to be seen by at least some of the clueless people using Thai roads and hopefully to intimidate a few into not doing something stupid, being able to see over cars to spot the next crazy thing that's going to happen, ride through potholes and flash floods.... well you've heard it all before...

I had the top spec CRV diesel model in France, bought it when the new one came out in 2005. I liked it... but it's one of those cars that doesn't really know what it wants to be. A bit cramped for space, and not exactly spectacular to drive. Hired a bottom of range CRV in Chiang Mai once, thought it was very poor to drive, even a bit sluggish. Have preferred to drive the Pajero or MU-7 each time I've done long trips in Thailand. Don't see the point in throwing yourself around the bends here, when there's a cartload of durian trying to overtake a truck heading your way just around the corner.

The Honda CRV is in a different class of SUV. It's a smaller 5-seater on a car platform. Your driving experience in one of those mimics mine exactly! The 2.0L is woefully underpowered.It looks as though you're ready to join the club: The only question remains is what is your color preference?!

Sorry to say that you wont get a Sportivo as they were a limited addition now finished unless you can find a second hand one.

The Fortuner TRD Sportivo IV is on sale now for 1.54M Baht - yes they are limited editions, but they do an updated version every 2-3 years.

As for the OP's question - there is no objective reason for the Fortuner's price. It's the subjective opinions of some that allow them to get away with it.

• Like 1

In my opinion what you do get is Inferior Handling and Ride comfort, not to mention the 4 wheel drive system in the Pajero GT is far superior to me. the Fortuna may have more confortable Front seats but to me thats it, the 3rd row that doesn't fold into the floor is another Bo Bo. If you decide on a Pajero i would suggest fitting a set of Michlin Latitude Cross Tyres to it's 17 in wheels, these make the SUV handle 100% better than the standard tyres and you still have plenty of money left to dress it up if you want to add a body kit or whatever..

• Like 1

The Honda CRV is in a different class of SUV. It's a smaller 5-seater on a car platform. Your driving experience in one of those mimics mine exactly! The 2.0L is woefully underpowered.

It looks as though you're ready to join the club: The only question remains is what is your color preference?!

Loved fortuner since I first saw one back in 2004-5 and didnt know what it was. Took me a couple of wks to find out. See one every couple of secs now!

I have owned 2 in past 8 years and have had a sportivo for last 4 yrs

- Visibility: high enough to see past the idiot in front of you

- size: Thai drivers less like to bully you by cutting in etc than if driving a saloon

- spacious: can fit as many golf clubs, friends or family members as you like

- economical: given its size great fuel consumption compared to the old gas guzzlers - especially on long runs

- reliability: floods, potholes, highways, jams - handles the lot

- looks: it just looks good

Dislikes:

- tan interior. Think they offer black as special edition now

- rear seats. Folding into floor would be so much more elegant than hanging up. Still better than others though

- stereo. Ditched it and upgraded to Bluetooth enabled option.

- built in sat nav. Way overpriced

- offroad. Handles it well but not especially comfortable

Alternatives in my eyes:

CRV - not an SUV it's a hybrid. Get a Camry or accord

Pajero - too tall and slim. Looks like it will fall over

Isuzu - ugly

Chevy - copied fortuner's looks but failed. Limited service options

Ford - still making SUV based on 80s styling. If they would release an update based on looks of the Ranger pickup, then I might reconsider my options next time!

In my opinion what you do get is Inferior Handling and Ride comfort, not to mention the 4 wheel drive system in the Pajero GT is far superior to me. the Fortuna may have more comfortable front seats but to me that's it, the 3rd row that doesn't fold into the floor is another Bo Bo. If you decide on a Pajero i would suggest fitting a set of Michelin Latitude Cross Tyres to it's 17 in wheels, these make the SUV handle 100% better than the standard tyres and you still have plenty of money left to dress it up if you want to add a body kit or whatever..

Good points!

To the OP: Social conformity, the same reason why people buy an iPhone without really knowing what else is out there without critical analysis or research. You could describe it as herd behavior, normative influence,mixed with touch of self-imposed status, follow the masses because if everybody has one, it must be good right? Brands like Apple and Toyota master this technique like no one else and it's working for 95% of the population., I actually think this is especially true in Thailand where out-of-the-box thinking and being critical is not really encouraged..

Right-on!

Hmm in dealers now, seems to be a major complication to change the standard Bridgestone Ducler H/T to the Michelin before delivery.... no can do. They want me to go to Michelin after delivery "and they change". They just don't get it. As soon as I drive 10km the current new tyres will be second-hand, no?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Element of truth in that rixalex, but my experience of swapping regularly from saloon to SUV to saloon over the years.... and I drive carefully.... is that the often misplaced respect the Thais have for those richer and 'bigger' than they are, applies to drivers as evaluated by the status of the car they drive as well.

• Like 2

Hmm in dealers now, seems to be a major complication to change the standard Bridgestone Ducler H/T to the Michelin before delivery.... no can do. They want me to go to Michelin after delivery "and they change". They just don't get it. As soon as I drive 10km the current new tyres will be second-hand, no?

I don't think you can get the tyres replaced at the factory. Don't think it works that way. If you want extras fitted, tyres changed etc, it is done after the car has left the factory line. This means the car will have already turned its wheels. Cars don't arrive at the showrooms showing 0,000 on the dash. My last car had about 7km when i picked it up. Heard of other people who have picked up their new car with 50km or more already on the clock. All depends on how your car makes it from the factory to the showroom, but however it is done, think you have to accept that your car will already have been driven. Therefore whether or not you drive it another 10km before changing the tyres will not make much difference at all. Used is used, and you'll never be able to sell the tyres as new, never before used.

Element of truth in that rixalex, but my experience of swapping regularly from saloon to SUV to saloon over the years.... and I drive carefully.... is that the often misplaced respect the Thais have for those richer and 'bigger' than they are, applies to drivers as evaluated by the status of the car they drive as well.

You hit the nail on the head!! thumbsup.gif

Edited by metisdead
30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.