Sound Levels To Be Monitored In Entertainment Venues

Jai Dee

BMA provides its district officials with sound level meters to use in inspecting entertainment venues

The Bangkok city administration has delivered sound level meters to each district office and has also conducted training for district officials before they head out for a new round of inspection on entertainment venues, in consequence of the adminstration's issuance of regulations requiring the venues to install sound level meters and provide readings display of the noise level for customers.

Md. Sitthisat Jiamwongphat (สิทธิสัตย์ เจียมวงศ์แพทย์), the director of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's Department of Health, said the city administration has proceeded with protecting the health of the public in accord with His Majesty the King's concern over the health of the people's auditory system especially over youths who frequent entertainment venues, which more often than not have noise levels exceeding standard.

The BMA had checked the environment in as many as 1,400 venues and held sessions to inform operators about noise control so that they can ensure their places complied with the city's regulation.

Operating places in Bangkok are required to have an average noise level of no more than 90 decibels, and the noise level at any given time must not exceed 110 decibels.

The BMA has purchased 50 sets of sound level meters and briefed its district officers on usage of the tool, so they would in turn be able to provide correct advice to operators in making the latter comply with city regulation.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 26 April 2006

I'd love to see a few beer bars in Pattaya tested for high noise levels. :D

Have you watched people trying to have a conversation in some discos? They have to shout into each others ear over and above the shattering sound of the music, which pushes more noise waves down onto ear drums causing furtherl damage to people's hearing.

Other than that you need to be an expert in sign language.

What is the sign language that a DJ would understand for "turn that bloody volume down!!!!!" :o

What is the sign language that a DJ would understand for "turn that bloody volume down!!!!!" :o

2 ways that I know

1 - Show your hand (not the middle finger) to the DJ as if your are turning a radio volume (anti-clockwise)

and

2 - Place your palm at your forehead (in salute style) and while looking annoyed at the DJ slowly lower your hand from your forehead to your chest level (any lower than that means shutting down the music)

:D

Explorer :D

2 ways that I know

1 - Show your hand (not the middle finger) to the DJ as if your are turning a radio volume (anti-clockwise)

and

2 - Place your palm at your forehead (in salute style) and while looking annoyed at the DJ slowly lower your hand from your forehead to your chest level (any lower than that means shutting down the music)

:D

Explorer :D

Ever try to get a DJ to turn music down? (normally opposite will occur with a lower volume request) :D

BMA provides its district officials with sound level meters to use in inspecting entertainment venues

Operating places in Bangkok are required to have an average noise level of no more than 90 decibels, and the noise level at any given time must not exceed 110 decibels.

The BMA has purchased 50 sets of sound level meters and briefed its district officers on usage of the tool, so they would in turn be able to provide correct advice to operators in making the latter comply with city regulation.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 26 April 2006

I guess I am showing my "old-fartness" when I complain about music or sounds that are too loud, there is a couple other places I think should be looked at. I want to keep what little is left of my hearing for a few more years without having to wear an aid.

I think the movie theaters are pretty good for the price we pay, why is it that the volume sometimes so loud that I want to get some earplugs? Are all Thai people slightly deaf?

Even when you pass by the CD-stereo players and music departments in big stores like Robinsons (Patpong store especially) they have the volume full blast! I guess they expect all of their sales to come from kids only!

Why does the music in a bar have to be so loud, so loud that you can sometimes "feel" the bass?

How will the youth of the world hear when "opportunity knocks" when their hearing is shot?

"Enquiring minds want to bitch!"