Philip Morris says to fight Thai tax evasion charges

webfact

Philip Morris says to fight Thai tax evasion charges

BANGKOK, October 4, 2013 (AFP) - Philip Morris vowed Thursday to "vigorously defend itself" against Thai tax evasion charges -- the latest dispute between the kingdom and the tobacco giant, which recently clashed over warnings on packets.

Thailand's newly appointed Attorney General Athapol Yaisawang told AFP that the indictment had been launched against the maker of Marlboro cigarettes by his predecessor before his recent retirement.

Although the details of the allegations were unclear, Philip Morris said in a statement any prosecution would violate Thailand's obligations under a World Trade Organisation customs agreement.

"Philip Morris Thailand Limited (PMTL) intends to vigorously defend itself against these meritless charges," it said.

The company said it had not been formally notified by the Thai authorities of a prosecution order, and expressed hope that the new attorney general would review the case.

The row follows a Thai court decision in August to suspend government plans that would have forced cigarette companies to slap bigger graphic warnings on packets.

The health ministry in April decided to enlarge health warnings -- which feature gruesome photographs of smoking-related ailments -- from 55 to 85 percent of the surface of both sides of every cigarette packet.

The rules had been due to come into force on October 2.

In a statement released on Monday, the World Health Organisation voiced regret that the tobacco industry was "trying to undermine the work of health authorities to protect people from the devastating health effects of smoking".

Japan Tobacco, one of the world's biggest cigarette companies with brands including Winston and Benson & Hedges, said in June it was suing the Thai government over the plans.

The tobacco lobby has systematically tried to block laws curbing advertising or raising taxes on cigarettes. But more and more countries are adopting the approach.

European Union member states in June agreed to cover 65 percent of packaging with health warnings.

WHO director-general Margaret Chan said last month that a "massive army" of lobbyists had been deployed to block the bill.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-10-04

• Like 1

The Chinese govt is pulling the same crap on foreign companies operating there, such as GlaxoSmithKline, which is under investigation for bribery. Of course all the local companies work in the same way, as it's the way things work in Asia (and everywhere else for that matter, in the US they just call it lobbying). They just target the foreign devils but end up looking like idiots.

The US Govt and the Chamber of Commerce both lobbied and arm twisted the Thai Govt into letting in The Tobacco Companies that were being so badly treated in the US.

Since that time cigatte consumption has gone up dramatically and now over 350,000 Thais develop lung disease yearly.

I got absolutely no sympathey for the Tobacco lobby and the rest of that culture of death & violence that is being foisted on developing countries.

It's neo-colonialism at its worst.

The US Embassy should never help to promote US tobacco companies in foreign countries...it is like exporting cancer and death to other cultures. Reminds me when I lived in African and they were spraying DDT around my living area.... not allowed in USA ; yet manufactured in the USA and exported to other countries to use. I do like like to see my American tax dollars used to help big corporate American when their product causes sicknessd or death.

Heandline: "Philip Morris says to fight Thai tax evasion charges"

Okay so what is Philip Morris accused of doing in the way of evading taxes? No information in this non story. Entire story about packaging. Why was it even posted?

The US Govt and the Chamber of Commerce both lobbied and arm twisted the Thai Govt into letting in The Tobacco Companies that were being so badly treated in the US.

Since that time cigatte consumption has gone up dramatically and now over 350,000 Thais develop lung disease yearly.

I got absolutely no sympathey for the Tobacco lobby and the rest of that culture of death & violence that is being foisted on developing countries.

It's neo-colonialism at its worst.

The Thai tobacco monopoly and local chop chop have way over 50% market share.

The US Embassy should never help to promote US tobacco companies in foreign countries...it is like exporting cancer and death to other cultures. Reminds me when I lived in African and they were spraying DDT around my living area.... not allowed in USA ; yet manufactured in the USA and exported to other countries to use. I do like like to see my American tax dollars used to help big corporate American when their product causes sicknessd or death.

The Thais are doing perfectly well consuming their own cancer sticks.