Gasoline for the Car

SpokaneAl

Not need to do anything different from anywhere else in the world. Get out of the vehicle checked that the pump is on zero and wait until filled, pay, smile and leave. If you fill up at the same station many times the guys learn to clean my windscreen for a tip.

There is no need to be paranoid.

Just check that the pump is at zero when you start, and see how much fuel has gone into your car when they finish... it's easy.

In the last 12 years in Thailand ( and filling up frequently) I only got scammed once, and that was 10 years ago in Pattaya when they put the pump into my car after putting fuel into some motorbike without zeroing it first..

I don't really understand why people are paranoid about getting ripped off in Thailand.

+1....I've never had a problem. Make sure the pump starts at zero.

I have been driving in Thailand for 15 years, the capacity of my European car's gas tank is 70 liters, once to my surprise, it was filled with 76 liters of benzene 95, smile.png , I complained to the gas station manager and he simply accepted their fault, apologized and charge me for 70 liters.cheesy.gif

Usually the gas tanks are a bit bigger.

My cars in Europe always could take a few liters more than the tank size in the guide.

Don't tell him about fuel lines , fuel filters, safety factors etc. tongue.png

I have wondered about this, and then put it out of my mind. There is no department of weights and measures in this land, and if I err on this, I am certain that it is either run like every other scam herein or in complete shambles.

There is no way for you, the customer, to know if the meter in the pump is calibrated the way it should be....

I have a farang friend that is "involved" with a Thai owned gas station, yes there is a Thai Governmental Department that carry out inspections of gas stations, they license the storage tanks in terms of safety and the volume of fuel that can be stored on site and basic safety precautions.

And they DO carry out tests of metered delivery from the pumps, there is a -/+ percentage tolerance that is acceptable I can't recall what it is - I can find out if this is important to you.

I thought there were seals placed on pumps after they have been tested - again I can check for you.

They keep a calibrated measuring can (image below. Source) so operator spot checks can be made, over-selling is as much a problem for them as under-selling is for customers.

Detail of the measuring gauge, link. Source

measuredwg.gif

The fuel retailer also has the loss due to evaporation at fuel delivery and from the storage tanks as well.

As a buyer to maximize the amount of fuel you get for what you pay for there is a marginal benefit in filling up early in the morning (sunrise) when the temperature is at a minimum and the amount of fuel delivered is greater.

For those that seek to argue the toss, marginal means a small amount.

Beware Shell stations, They are notorious for not re-zeroing the meter.

Like 7-11 stores most of the big name gas stations are franchises so the people running the Shell on Sukhumvit Soi 17 in Pattaya will be a completely different 'company' from the one operating the Shell on Sukhumvit Soi 17 in Bangkok for example.

Saying that one gas station chain is worst than another is really down to the level of brand enforcement that is monitored and managed on a regional basis by the operator company and or the area franchise manager.

What this means on the gas station forecourt will be down to how they manage money and transactions, as Thailand is mostly a cash economy these small frequent transactions are an easy target for "mistakes" in the favor of the person handling the cash.

Silly to blame the international corporation as if it's a boardroom originated scam, those 20 Bahts don't get fed back up the chain!

As ever: "Buyer beware."

When on a bike seeing the pump is zeroed is easy - so make the same effort when in a car, get out of the clucking thing rather than just sitting inside and speaking through a one inch gap in the window, I can imagine a hot, bothered and bored pump attendant looking at the difference between fuel dispensed and the amount you pay as a tip etc.especially if you drive a nice car and are a rich farang. It's the way it is.

I've had some strange encounters at Thai gas station in my time but not aware I've ever been conned in this situation.

Years ago I would have the car filled up, now we just go for 500 or 1,000 Baht depending if we are pottering about locally or on a longer run, no point storing fuel just to carry it around as there is 24hr station a few Km away.

The above is correct.

The checks are random and unannounced. I've literally got the T'shirt. The inspector gave me one last time. biggrin.png

The staff fill to the amount given and if over it comes out the cashiers error allowance. If you are as paranoid as the OP's inlaws then as said get out and check instead of sitting in your car only communicating through a gap in your window to the minions like a wannabe hiso Thai.

And ? Even cheated for few hundreds will your life change ?

Yeah, some of us work on a Thai salary, so yeah, a few hundred baht make a difference. And since when do you like being cheated? You say "a few hundred baht" so, let's call it 300 baht. That is 8-10 lunches, about 6 beers, or my water bill, or almost my electricity bill and on and on. Yeah, getting cheated out of a few hundred baht by somebody is kind of crappy.

If you are so keen on getting ripped off, go for it, but most of us won't be in line with you.

• Like 2

I have been driving in Thailand for 15 years, the capacity of my European car's gas tank is 70 liters, once to my surprise, it was filled with 76 liters of benzene 95, smile.png , I complained to the gas station manager and he simply accepted their fault, apologized and charge me for 70 liters.cheesy.gif

Usually the gas tanks are a bit bigger.

My cars in Europe always could take a few liters more than the tank size in the guide.

Don't tell him about fuel lines , fuel filters, safety factors etc. tongue.png

As well what is full? Full till the edge of the tube, or till 95 % of the tank?

And the tanks is produced so it fits well and not designed to hold exactly 70.00 liters.

If it holds 73.56 Liters it is a 70 liter tank.

Beside that both the tank and the gasoline is changing size with temperature. So measuring the volume isn't perfect at all.

Yeah, some of us work on a Thai salary, so yeah, a few hundred baht make a difference. And since when do you like being cheated? You say "a few hundred baht" so, let's call it 300 baht. That is 8-10 lunches, about 6 beers, or my water bill, or almost my electricity bill and on and on. Yeah, getting cheated out of a few hundred baht by somebody is kind of crappy.

If you are so keen on getting ripped off, go for it, but most of us won't be in line with you.

or a days work for someone on the minimum salary.....

The thing I don't understand is when the wife and I pull into a servo, on separate bikes, ans want them both filled, they fill hers then reset the bowser then fill mine, then add the two prices. Why not fill hers the, without resetting things, fill mine. Am I paranoid, or is there a technical reason for this?

Unless you were towed in with an empty tank you were still scammed.

speaking of gas...what is the difference between e20 gasohol and fuel save gasohol 91....are they both ok for car that burns 91?

FuelSave Diesel:
V-Power Nitro+ Diesel:
Shell E20 Gasohol:
FuelSave Gasohol91:
FuelSave Gasohol95:
V-Power Nitro+ Gasohol 95:
Shell Unleaded 95:

Unit Baht/Litre

**Above data is only reference fuel price for Shell Service Station in Bangkok & vinicities.
More information please contact Shell Customer Service Centre, Thailand.
Reference Price on Date 4/10/2013

Trust amongst thais from your FIL is not apparant by the sounds of it. Be careful if i were you. (The eye of the beholder) !!

The second last time I filled up with LPG, I was a bit late getting out the car, and to cost me about 530 Baht, the next time, I did the exact same journey, and filled up at the same LPG station. The price then was 330 Baht. Watch them. Every time I fill up with gas, I get out the car quickly and watch the pump.

LPG has massive variations from pump to pump because they click off at different pressures. The most you will get into any LPG tank is 80% but a lot click off at 70% or even less. I've seen 350 baht to 580 baht to fill the same empty tank, and it really is empty before filling. It's not cheating, you still only pay for what you get.

Yeah, I couldn't imagine living off what they say the "average Thai" lives off of. Granted, I see my wife and her family....if she or one of her family members run out of money, they can go home and they don't need money. They can eat somtam for free and get some laokhao or snacks from friends in the village. They can literally wake up with 5 baht in their pocket in the AM and know they will eat well and do pretty much what they want to do during the day.

I can't. I definitely make more than a lot of Thai people, but not that much more. Either way, it doesn't matter. I remember being in another country (a very poor one--Thailand is wealthy in comparison) and some guy was trying to bond with me or something and he commented on a dish I had bought, saying "yeah, it's nothing, right?" in a throw-away fashion. It was about the equivalent of 10 baht for a meal. I told him, well.....it is a meal. So, it isn't nothing. It drives me nuts when people act like money has no value.

The thing I don't understand is when the wife and I pull into a servo, on separate bikes, ans want them both filled, they fill hers then reset the bowser then fill mine, then add the two prices. Why not fill hers the, without resetting things, fill mine. Am I paranoid, or is there a technical reason for this?

Maybe they assume you're Dutch. whistling.gif

I have wondered about this, and then put it out of my mind. There is no department of weights and measures in this land, and if I err on this, I am certain that it is either run like every other scam herein or in complete shambles.

There is no way for you, the customer, to know if the meter in the pump is calibrated the way it should be....

I have a farang friend that is "involved" with a Thai owned gas station, yes there is a Thai Governmental Department that carry out inspections of gas stations, they license the storage tanks in terms of safety and the volume of fuel that can be stored on site and basic safety precautions.

And they DO carry out tests of metered delivery from the pumps, there is a -/+ percentage tolerance that is acceptable I can't recall what it is - I can find out if this is important to you.

I thought there were seals placed on pumps after they have been tested - again I can check for you.

They keep a calibrated measuring can (image below. Source) so operator spot checks can be made, over-selling is as much a problem for them as under-selling is for customers.

Detail of the measuring gauge, link. Source

measuredwg.gif

The fuel retailer also has the loss due to evaporation at fuel delivery and from the storage tanks as well.

As a buyer to maximize the amount of fuel you get for what you pay for there is a marginal benefit in filling up early in the morning (sunrise) when the temperature is at a minimum and the amount of fuel delivered is greater.

For those that seek to argue the toss, marginal means a small amount.

Beware Shell stations, They are notorious for not re-zeroing the meter.

Like 7-11 stores most of the big name gas stations are franchises so the people running the Shell on Sukhumvit Soi 17 in Pattaya will be a completely different 'company' from the one operating the Shell on Sukhumvit Soi 17 in Bangkok for example.

Saying that one gas station chain is worst than another is really down to the level of brand enforcement that is monitored and managed on a regional basis by the operator company and or the area franchise manager.

What this means on the gas station forecourt will be down to how they manage money and transactions, as Thailand is mostly a cash economy these small frequent transactions are an easy target for "mistakes" in the favor of the person handling the cash.

Silly to blame the international corporation as if it's a boardroom originated scam, those 20 Bahts don't get fed back up the chain!

As ever: "Buyer beware."

When on a bike seeing the pump is zeroed is easy - so make the same effort when in a car, get out of the clucking thing rather than just sitting inside and speaking through a one inch gap in the window, I can imagine a hot, bothered and bored pump attendant looking at the difference between fuel dispensed and the amount you pay as a tip etc.especially if you drive a nice car and are a rich farang. It's the way it is.

I've had some strange encounters at Thai gas station in my time but not aware I've ever been conned in this situation.

Years ago I would have the car filled up, now we just go for 500 or 1,000 Baht depending if we are pottering about locally or on a longer run, no point storing fuel just to carry it around as there is 24hr station a few Km away.

The difference between tanking up in the morning and in the afternoon is not marginal, it is also very near to zero. The storage tanks are underground for goodness' sakes, temperature down there will hardly vary at all. And don't forget that your tank is going to expand also. This is what is called an 'urban myth', like saying that using air conditioning increases fuel consumption by 25%. It doesn't, but driving with open windows definitely increases drag and consumption.

Anyway, when I look at the fuel gauge I can usually guess to ฿50.- how much it needs to fill up.

I have been driving in Thailand for 15 years, the capacity of my European car's gas tank is 70 liters, once to my surprise, it was filled with 76 liters of benzene 95, Posted Image , I complained to the gas station manager and he simply accepted their fault, apologized and charge me for 70 liters.Posted Image

Unless you were towed in with an empty tank you were still scammed.

That is the laughing matter, I was not out of fuel and they were claiming 76 liters on their scale, when they realized my complain they just simply opologized.

sent by skyaslimit using thaivisa forum mobile app.

Yeah, I couldn't imagine living off what they say the "average Thai" lives off of. Granted, I see my wife and her family....if she or one of her family members run out of money, they can go home and they don't need money. They can eat somtam for free and get some laokhao or snacks from friends in the village. They can literally wake up with 5 baht in their pocket in the AM and know they will eat well and do pretty much what they want to do during the day.

I can't. I definitely make more than a lot of Thai people, but not that much more. Either way, it doesn't matter. I remember being in another country (a very poor one--Thailand is wealthy in comparison) and some guy was trying to bond with me or something and he commented on a dish I had bought, saying "yeah, it's nothing, right?" in a throw-away fashion. It was about the equivalent of 10 baht for a meal. I told him, well.....it is a meal. So, it isn't nothing. It drives me nuts when people act like money has no value.

Well if you know how to do, you can live with very little money here. Maybe not in Bangkok but outside. Food comes almost for free with some chicken, friends, fishing etc etc. Living as well. You can earn 7000 Baht per month and keep 6000.

My wives sister is living from 4000 Baht per month in the south and everyone complains that she waste so much money with women (she is lesbian).

But she got a very simple house on a friends land, she doesn't pay for the food, instead she helps a little and they cook for everyone.

Electric I don't know....and I don't want to know (possible they just connected themself, but she doesn't look TV, goes sleeping early...maybe a fridge maybe not).

Rental in Bangkok 800-1500 Baht and 2-3 people living in there (they do have money but see no reason to waste it on rental).

So you can live very cheap. Smoking and drinking of course kills the budget...

...in the afternoon is not marginal, it is also very near to zero. The storage tanks are underground for goodness' sakes, temperature down there will hardly vary at all. And don't forget that your tank is going to expand also.

Still failed to read the link I provided.

Im sure that the pumps are not calibrated and you are getting stiffed by the company anyway.

Man, you're a cheery optimist! You must be great fun to have at parties...

It used to happen in Australia... so why shouldn't it happen here... The OP asked a question and I replied. I am sorry if I didn't paint the reply with love and happiness....

It can be funny at times watching the faces of the dek serves when filling my tank if almost empty. They start to look worried when getting over 60 liters and stare in surprise when hitting 65 or more.

The pumps are ALWAYS zeroed. It does get a bit tiring to pay 2500++ every time though. E85 is starting to look mighty tempting.