Camry 2.0g vs 2.5g

ThaiBob

I was at the local Toyota dealership for a car service and got cornered by my old salesperson. He advised me I qualified as a VIP customer and the program applied to the Camry and Fortuner models (often it doesn't). Long story short, I ordered a Camry 2.5g over the older engine 2.0g. The salesman said the 200,000 baht premium was for the larger, more powerful and fuel efficient engine, and for better automatic transmission, besides a few goodies like cruise control. Anyone have any experience with these cars and engines?

I have no experience with Camrys, but i would say the 2.0g disqualifies itself with a 4 (four!!) speed gearbox. Together with an engine that has only 190Nm of torque at 4.000rpm that has to be an unpleasant and uneconimical combination. Only if you´re driving in BKK ? and you´re stuck in traffic all the time anyway, then you could consider the 2.0g as fuel efficency wouldn´t matter a lot anyway. The 2.5 won´t do much better in stop and go, how could it?

200.000B is 6060 liter of E20 gasohol, a lot of gas you would have to save with the 2.5g. Depends on the goodies if you want/need them.

Wouldn´t the Hybrid be the best option? It´s "only" 150.000 more but then you have a real up to date, economical and powerful car. Even the fuel economy in traffic should be a lot better than both petrol engines.

I'd say the correct decision.

Lets face it size wise the Camry is not really a 2 litre car so 2.5 makes sense.

Technically there is a small premium to pay on fuel but I doubt in real life you will notice.

Hybrid weighs about 310 lbs more so it's like driving all the time with two passengers. Sure it has 20hp more for short bursts but that is not free as it has to be replenished after use.

That being said if you want to be the first away from the toll booth on the express-way that might be the Hybrid until you got to the Rama 9 bridge where the extra 300 lbs would slow you down.

• Like 2

Lets face it size wise the Camry is not really a 2 litre car so 2.5 makes sense.

Technically there is a small premium to pay on fuel but I doubt in real life you will notice.

Hybrid weighs about 310 lbs more so it's like driving all the time with two passengers. Sure it has 20hp more for short bursts but that is not free as it has to be replenished after use.

That being said if you want to be the first away from the toll booth on the express-way that might be the Hybrid until you got to the Rama 9 bridge where the extra 300 lbs would slow you down.

Performance-wise there's quite a big gap between the 2.0 L and 2.5 engine, especially the 0-100 sprint.. Fuel economy is roughly the same with 14 km/l For overtaking the 2.5 is "only" a second quicker than the 2.0L

The hybrid combines outstanding performance ( with an eco-car-like fuel economy of 18.59 km/l in real world driving., the more you drive it in the city and in traffic jams, the better mileage you can get

vu2o.png

Fuel economy:

n2jp.png

Source: headlightmag

Thanks for the replies. I think I've made the right choice although I see a lot of 2.0g. I also get corner sensors and hands free Bluetooth, both important to me. I have set a budget for myself of 1.5M baht. I also checked out the Accord but didn't like the interior as well although I know it is overall highly rated.

Edited by ThaiBob

Thanks for the replies. I think I've made the right choice although I see a lot of 2.0g. I also get corner sensors and hands free Bluetooth, both important to me. I have set a budget for myself of 1.5M baht. I also checked out the Accord but didn't like the interior as well although I know it is overall highly rated.

Just be aware you won't be getting 14 km/l in stop and go BKK and metropolitan traffic - in either the 2.0 or 2.5. 10 km/l would be more realistic Personally i think the 2.0 would be adequate around town and see more of the 2.0 than the 2.5.

Just because the engine is bigger, does not mean it will burn more fuel. An loaded up small engine could well burn more than a larger engine not working so hard. Hoe much do you drive it that you need to worry about the fuel anyway.

Personally, I'd rather spend the extra dough and think I may not have needed to, than drive a car for a few years wishing I'd a gone to the bigger mill. There is "No replacement for displacement." Always go for the bigger engine.

The 2.0L Camry is probably the worst car I have even driven with regard to performance. My old 1.3 L Capri I learnt to drive in had more 'go'. I'm also fairly certain that the brakes came off an Isaan tuk-tuk.

The 2.5 is by far a better car. Good choice.

Great, hope you love it!

Thanks, by choice I will not take delivery until January although Toyota can deliver the car in one month. Unlike most of the competition I will not get Push Start or Smart Entry which miffes me in a car of this price range.

The Camry beats the Honda on ride noise and interior finish,both a super Cruizer if you like to get around Thailand , sure You will enjoy the ride quality on long runs , i assure You its as good as my Ex Company C Class at a deacent price.Enjoy.!coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Hi Thaibob,

I drive the 2.0G and after going through the troubles that I had with my last car (Jag X300) the Camry is a dream.

It has never given me any trouble since I bought it about 6 years ago, I just fill it with fuel and have it serviced every 6 months.

Apart from the normal running the only other things that I have had to do is change the battery once and change the tyres when needed.

I’m pretty shocked that the newer version of the 2.0 does not have cruise control and Bluetooth as standard, as these were standard in the previous 2.0G model (2006 – 2010).

If I was ready to change cars I would probably go for the 2.5G, so in my book you are making a wise choice.

I hope that you enjoy the car and have many safe and enjoyable journeys in her.

Culicine,

The reason that you do not see many 2.5 Camrys on Thai roads is because this is a newer vehicle (2010) and the 2.0G has been around since 2006.

The previous equivalent of the 2.5 was the 2.4.

I agree that there were not many 2.4 Camrys on the roads in Thailand but I don’t think that was more about the price than the performance or fuel efficiency.

Edited by tonytigerbkk
  • Like 1

I’m pretty shocked that the newer version of the 2.0 does not have cruise control and Bluetooth as standard, as these were standard in the previous 2.0G model (2006 – 2010).

Par for course in Thailand - the first series of any new generation is always missing features so they have something to add to the 3-4 minor changes it's going to have before the next generation releases.

Performance-wise there's quite a big gap between the 2.0 L and 2.5 engine, especially the 0-100 sprint.. Fuel economy is roughly the same with 14 km/l For overtaking the 2.5 is "only" a second quicker than the 2.0L

The hybrid combines outstanding performance ( with an eco-car-like fuel economy of 18.59 km/l in real world driving., the more you drive it in the city and in traffic jams, the better mileage you can get

vu2o.png

Fuel economy:

n2jp.png

Not to detract from your otherwise excellent post, but.... "outstanding performance"? :D

Im pretty shocked that the newer version of the 2.0 does not have cruise control and Bluetooth as standard, as these were standard in the previous 2.0G model (2006 2010).

Par for course in Thailand - the first series of any new generation is always missing features so they have something to add to the 3-4 minor changes it's going to have before the next generation releases.

I was shocked too, no bluetooth, no cruise control, no rain sensors, no sunroof. My friend's Ford Focus has them all.

Yep, but of course 'performance' should be read in perspective though wink.png but I find it quite an achievement that this hybrid is capable of 6 sec 80-120 km/h times (this is basically 3.5 V6 Camry,Accord, E250 CGI / CDI territory) still return around 18 km/l fuel consumption.. The handling, top speed is nowhere a good as it's German peers but with it's THB 1,659,000 price-tag it's not a bad deal IMHO wink.png

vu2o.png

Fuel economy:

n2jp.png

Not to detract from your otherwise excellent post, but.... "outstanding performance"? biggrin.png

Im pretty shocked that the newer version of the 2.0 does not have cruise control and Bluetooth as standard, as these were standard in the previous 2.0G model (2006 2010).

I was shocked too, no bluetooth, no cruise control, no rain sensors, no sunroof. My friend's Ford Focus has them all.

Whats that got to do with the Topic , ones a Cruizer,the Fords, well... its just a Ford with Toys.biggrin.png .

Whats that got to do with the Topic , ones a Cruizer,the Fords, well... its just a Ford with Toys.biggrin.png .

My whine was a far cheaper car comes with equipment that today's buyer come to expect and are not necessarily luxury options on what some people consider a high end model here in Thailand. Sort of like a 3* hotel giving free wifi and the 5* charging an arm and a leg. Whine over.

Toyota always seems to be kinda stingy for the SEA market with goodies and specs. But you´re lucky, there is much aftermarket stuff around for Toyotas. You can go to many car hifi places, ebay or walk at Worachak market to find a nice gps, bluetooth, dvd, tv, ipdod, rear cam, all in one head unit. There are decent ones around which look exactly like the oem units. You can keep your steering wheel controls too.

Just do a quick search in google and you can find many offers.

Geez, the previous version 2.0G also had rain sensors (as well as sensors for the lights).

It looks like Toyota have stripped the new 2.0G model bare.

My '53 Ford had push-button start, I wouldn't get too caught up in it...wink.png

No, I am certainly not going to lose sleep over it, but I do like the latest technology if it is available. The Push Start works together with Smart Entry system making the traditional door/ignition key unnecessary.

No, I am certainly not going to lose sleep over it, but I do like the latest technology if it is available. The Push Start works together with Smart Entry system making the traditional door/ignition key unnecessary.

That's true sometimes it could be good not to have the latest or newest technology.

Ford fit a gadget to the Ecoboost engine , a Symphonic or somesuch stupidity,to make it sound more powerful. The U.K. Mondeo doesn't have gimmicky engine , just a 1600cc 160 BHP,for 18K GBP. I put LollyPop Sticks into my Bikes wheels and pretendid i had a Moto Guzzi,perhaps Mr Eco Boost did the same once. .No Toyota should be without one either............biggrin.png

My '53 Ford had push-button start, I wouldn't get too caught up in it...wink.png

I liked my push start/keyless entry system. Until i lost my key somewhere in the trunk looking for some stuff back there before i went on a trip. Unfortunately the car still started like normal and i drove off. After an hour of driving i wanted to park the car and eat something. But the car wouldn´t lock, so i wanted to use the key. Dammit! Where is it? After such a long time driving around i needed quite a while to recall what i did before i drove off. facepalm.gif

Strange thing is, the car started with they key in the trunk, but it didn´t lock because the car noticed that the key was still inside the car (trunk) blink.png

Yes i can`t blame the tech, i´m the stupid guy. But i miss the classic ignition, turning the key is more "real". Otherwise i love tech in the car. Hid, gps, bluetooth, touchscreen, all welcome.

Edited by I knew this would happen
  • Like 1

Ford fit a gadget to the Ecoboost engine , a Symphonic or somesuch stupidity,to make it sound more powerful. The U.K. Mondeo doesn't have gimmicky engine , just a 1600cc 160 BHP,for 18K GBP. I put LollyPop Sticks into my Bikes wheels and pretendid i had a Moto Guzzi,perhaps Mr Eco Boost did the same once. .No Toyota should be without one either............biggrin.png

Instead of lollypop sticks, Toyota has taken the 2.0g and added front/rear/side skirts, a rear spoiler and called it the Extremo. They did upgrade the audio and add bluetooth, all for 60,000 baht.

The 2.0g Extremo made me laugh everytime i saw one. 2.0g 4 speed EXTREMO cheesy.gif

Vios TRD (Toyota Racing Development) cheesy.gif

Vios GT Street Version cheesy.gif

Sorrybiggrin.png

And you didn't expand all of the acronyms - it's even better when you do that:

Value Innovative Outstanding Sporty Toyota Racing Development

Value Innovative Outstanding Sporty Grand Touring Street Version

:D

• Like 1

Camry 2.5 l engine is 4 pot and it is inefficient by any means. Extra 200,000 baht is not only for engine + gear but extra features I believe.

4 gear auto is less fuel efficient compared to 6 gear auto, but it doesn't prevent car to accelerate / take over. You have to know how much push down the gas pedal, thats all. Some people just not fit to drive auto gear cars.

I can ensure you 80-120 km acceleration of camry 2.0 is much faster than that table claims (9 seconds? no way). Of course, if they are doing these tests in final gear (without reducing gear) then I'll believe.

Camry 2.0 should please non-American drivers as long as they travel lightly (2-3 pax, medium loaded trunk) in camry. When I drive 5-6 persons with full trunk in car, you can feel engine is not strong enough but thats pretty rare in my usage.