Advice Needed From A Thai Botanist

Our coconut palms are dying on the beach front even though we have tried everything to save them. :o

We are looking for some tall (not broad) hardy trees who are "beetle" resistant and can grow near sand and salt water.

Can anyone please advise us of what to replace our beloved palm trees with?

:D

samuiclaudia, have you tried contacting the co-op or the ag dept there on Samui? They have been releasing the wasps that eat the beetles on Samui for sometime now, perhaps you could get some for your place.

Also, avoid the Casuarina tree, it tends to grow too tall. We have one in front of our place and it is enormous.

The beach almond is a nice tree, also tall but with an umbrella shape and the leaves turn bright red every year.

I'm no botanist... but this is eaasy!!!

Try Tamarisk Chinensis, you see them all over asia on the beaches, they are incredibly hardy , grow pretty tall and look a bit like pine trees

:o

Thank you but no thank you. The Tamarisk is considered a "pest" in many countries and they are trying to eradicate it. That is why you probably see so many.

Best wishes

samuiclaudia, have you tried contacting the co-op or the ag dept there on Samui? They have been releasing the wasps that eat the beetles on Samui for sometime now, perhaps you could get some for your place.

Also, avoid the Casuarina tree, it tends to grow too tall. We have one in front of our place and it is enormous.

The beach almond is a nice tree, also tall but with an umbrella shape and the leaves turn bright red every year.

SBK

Yes we have the wasps and are also treating the palms with chemicals - it is just too late. There are so many palms now dying on Samui. Ihope you are faring better on Koh Phangan

Will look up the Beach Almond

Thank you for your advice :o

Some have died, some seem to have survived. I understand that a large part of the problem is the eradication of the squirrels which helped to keep the beetle under control. We have a nice healthy squirrel family around our place and most of our trees seem to be doing ok.

What you might consider, is cutting down and burning all infected trees and starting over with more palms? That way, you could treat them as they grow.

I know how much tourists love the whole swaying palm thing :o me, I'm not the biggest fan of coconut trees, my father-in-law has many coconut plantations and I think coconuts are just alot of really hard work!

I'm no botanist... but this is eaasy!!!

Try Tamarisk Chinensis, you see them all over asia on the beaches, they are incredibly hardy , grow pretty tall and look a bit like pine trees

:o

Thank you but no thank you. The Tamarisk is considered a "pest" in many countries and they are trying to eradicate it. That is why you probably see so many.

Best wishes

Hi

Yes.. but not in Asia.. as there are plenty of natural predators that help to keep it in check, the problems seen in the USA are a result of introducing non-native species that have no supporting ecosystem to keep them in check! I would agree that the Indian Almond would be a good choice, but they are more specimen trees than the Tamarisk if you just wanted some protection from the sea or to stabilise the soil.

I suppose on Samui you could just transplant some mature coconut palms.. good luck though!!

So what happened to all the squirrels??

Local coconut growers shoot the squirrels because they eat the coconuts. Transplanted Isaan people eat them. So, a major decline in the squirrel population has allowed this beetle to go out of control.

Pandanus is a nice looking tree but the leaves (fronds?) have very prickly spines. And the fruit is poisonous! :o

Local coconut growers shoot the squirrels because they eat the coconuts. Transplanted Isaan people eat them. So, a major decline in the squirrel population has allowed this beetle to go out of control.

Pandanus is a nice looking tree but the leaves (fronds?) have very prickly spines. And the fruit is poisonous! :o

Nice to look at though. :D

The points you raise would benefit the palm.