Chiang Mai to Pai

Impkenai

Sure you can. There are many drivers offering their services online. Just look it up.

No problem, everything is for sale in Thailand but if it is cost that is the issue the price of a air ticket and a car and driver would be in the same ball park.

If you have say 3- 5 people going OK a car would be cheaper.

On the matter of risk (as the OP has mentioned it) a plane would win hands down anytime.

Actually the express van from the bus station is ok no more dangerous than a car and driver. I would say the drivers from the bus station are probably safer than a one off guy in a car. I have been on this route many times and have ridden in the express van from the bus station and would ride again.

• Like 2

The drive is easy. If you have a international drivers license, then hire a car and drive yourself. If you go with a driver, they will try get there as quick as possible and the road into Pai is 60kms of very windey mountain road. And if you enjoy being carsick, then that's the way to go. Best get your own car so that you can drive around that area. Also the drive through the mountains is spectacular and there are nice lunch spots along the way. It's really beautiful and you can drive on to Mae sai as well. In chiang Mai you can get a honda jazz for about thb1200 per day.

It's a drive I always enjoy - drove up and back a few days ago. The road has some spots where it's been washed out but should be patched by December. You just have to respect the road - it's a common sense drive......

I'd rather drive and have the car to explore the side roads ..... scooters aren't my thing .....

Actually the express van from the bus station is ok no more dangerous than a car and driver. I would say the drivers from the bus station are probably safer than a one off guy in a car. I have been on this route many times and have ridden in the express van from the bus station and would ride again.

Moe, this would be an alternative for me. Do you know the company name for this express van? I'll probably go to the bus station and check them out when I am in CNX.

North Wheels or Ruby Car hire. Car with driver I would say about 1500 Bht upwards.

Thanks for the tips. I'll check them out.

The reason I'm considering a car and driver option is that I can direct the driver to stop along the way, wherever I want. I may be naive, but I think I could also ask him to slow down if he's going too fast for my comfort.

The drive is easy. If you have a international drivers license, then hire a car and drive yourself. If you go with a driver, they will try get there as quick as possible and the road into Pai is 60kms of very windey mountain road. And if you enjoy being carsick, then that's the way to go. Best get your own car so that you can drive around that area. Also the drive through the mountains is spectacular and there are nice lunch spots along the way. It's really beautiful and you can drive on to Mae sai as well. In chiang Mai you can get a honda jazz for about thb1200 per day.

I do love to drive, but not this time as I'll be bunking for a few days at a Pai resort, and not going nowhere. LOL

I will bear this option in mind for another trip.

North Wheels are on the east side of the moat on the road that travels south - Th Chaiyapoom. Their site seems to be down right now. They seem to have a good reputation. "Bpai cha cha nah khrap" if you want the driver to slow down and "jort rot te nah khrap" if you want him to stop. Seems to work for me, but I taught myself so there may be better ways to say this.

Most likely a driver will speak some English though. Still, I would always recommend you learn as much Thai as possible. You will enjoy your trip a lot more if you do so.

North Wheels are on the east side of the moat on the road that travels south - Th Chaiyapoom. Their site seems to be down right now. They seem to have a good reputation. "Bpai cha cha nah khrap" if you want the driver to slow down and "jort rot te nah khrap" if you want him to stop. Seems to work for me, but I taught myself so there may be better ways to say this.

Most likely a driver will speak some English though. Still, I would always recommend you learn as much Thai as possible. You will enjoy your trip a lot more if you do so.

Thks for the info. I'll check their website. They're located within walking distance of where I'll be staying around Thapae, so no problems.

Yes, I know a spattering of 'pidgin Thai'. But just enough not to go hungry. LOL

There is a frequent minibus service to Pai and Mae Hong Son from platform 11 Arcade Bus Station. The vehicles are in good condition and I'm not aware of there having been any accidents. The nearby ticket office can sell you a ticket 3 days in advance. You can choose your seat so best book early before the best ones are taken (recommended #2 in front row with driver, or #3A next to the door, with extra leg room). The fare to Mae Hong Son is 250 baht, so Pai should be about half that. You can certainly hire a motorbike in Pai and probably a car too, to get around. If you like caves there's a big one (or rather 3 adjoining ones) at Bang Mapha up the road a bit towards Mae Hong Son - Tam Lod. Lots of bats and a short boat trip at the end.

There is a frequent minibus service to Pai and Mae Hong Son from platform 11 Arcade Bus Station. The vehicles are in good condition and I'm not aware of there having been any accidents. The nearby ticket office can sell you a ticket 3 days in advance. You can choose your seat so best book early before the best ones are taken (recommended #2 in front row with driver, or #3A next to the door, with extra leg room). The fare to Mae Hong Son is 250 baht, so Pai should be about half that. You can certainly hire a motorbike in Pai and probably a car too, to get around. If you like caves there's a big one (or rather 3 adjoining ones) at Bang Mapha up the road a bit towards Mae Hong Son - Tam Lod. Lots of bats and a short boat trip at the end.

Thanks for the tip. I do love cave crawling, but not the hard core spelunking. Will check it out when in Pai.

Sure you can. There are many drivers offering their services online. Just look it up.

I would as at a guess say that flying would be cheaper.

Certainly if the OP is travelling solo, not to mention far safer. Anyone contemplating driving to Pai in Dec, regardless of how, should be prepared for at least a 4 hour trip due to monumental traffic both on the route and in town. Parking will be a nightmare. I would fly at twice the price.

No problem at all. Plenty of companies at Chiang Mai Airport. One there (can't remember the name of) took cash only and I rented a Honda Jazz for 4 days. Be very careful driving to Pai and prepare to take 3 hours. Many of the hair pin bends can be treacherous at all times and lethal in wet conditions. Some heavy trucks on the way and overtaking needs considerable patience.

A great place when you get there and well worth parking up and renting bikes to ride around the country lanes either side of the Pai River. Night Market is very colourful and good. It's another side of Thailand.

i think there are 700+ curves , first time don't drive it unless you have extensive driving experience. also get a driver who has done the drive not someone unfamiliar with the drive. lots of switch backs for heavy vehicles. i do it in 2 hours door to door know every turn boring drive when you have done it a lot 10 years all weather conditions. go early before traffic and before high season. no night driving no lights on the mountains ,landslides common in raining season.

Unless you are driving yourself, you may want to consider taking motion sickness medicine two hours before the trip. The driver generally has no problem with motion sickness on this road because of holding onto the steering wheel and focusing on the road. But passengers OFTEN get quite ill due to the hundreds of U-turns encountered.

Unless you are driving yourself, you may want to consider taking motion sickness medicine two hours before the trip. The driver generally has no problem with motion sickness on this road because of holding onto the steering wheel and focusing on the road. But passengers OFTEN get quite ill due to the hundreds of U-turns encountered.

Yes, I do get motion sickness, and always travel with medication. Just have to remember taking it before heading out.

I've also got some wrist bands and will use it for the first time to see if it works for me.

Thks for the reminder.

No problem at all. Plenty of companies at Chiang Mai Airport. One there (can't remember the name of) took cash only and I rented a Honda Jazz for 4 days. Be very careful driving to Pai and prepare to take 3 hours. Many of the hair pin bends can be treacherous at all times and lethal in wet conditions. Some heavy trucks on the way and overtaking needs considerable patience.

A great place when you get there and well worth parking up and renting bikes to ride around the country lanes either side of the Pai River. Night Market is very colourful and good. It's another side of Thailand.

I understand car/bike rental companies keep our passports when we rent a vehicle from them. This will be a bummer when I do drive around the province and check-in to various hotels. Do they take some other kind of security deposit? Anyone knows?

The Pai night market is on my list of things to see/do. Are they open every night or on certain nights only?

There is a Pai tourist website that I checked out and just got some very general info.

I understand car/bike rental companies keep our passports when we rent a vehicle from them. This will be a bummer when I do drive around the province and check-in to various hotels. Do they take some other kind of security deposit? Anyone knows?

The Pai night market is on my list of things to see/do. Are they open every night or on certain nights only?

There is a Pai tourist website that I checked out and just got some very general info.

Never leave your original passport with a rental company, or anyone else. Never.

• 2 months later...

My feedback.

Ended up taking the Aya minivan between Chiang Mai and Pai, both ways. The van was full and we had a careful driver. I was lucky that it was the same driver and van from Pai to Chiang Mai when I returned a few days later. I slept most of the way and did not get jolted out of my slumber. LOL

I'll probably go the same route the next time around.

Cheers!