Any 4G Experts? - Advice needed

ravip

The way I see, 4G is pretty much marketing term (something easy for consumers to remember). LTE or Long Term Evolution is what is offered by some operators.

LTE brings faster speed (some friends have reported 100 Mbps downlink and pretty good uplinks as well) and more importantly faster latency.

In Thailand, where the facto speed is capped to 358 Kbps after using the few GB of fast data, I don't personally see reason to upgrade to LTE. Maybe somebody else can take a good advantage of the fast speed with less data consumption.

yes 4g lte is superior to 3g but please do remember not all 4g devices are compatible with true's 4g ( thailand's only 4g lte service provide at the moment) only iphone 5 and 5s, few nokia lumia devices and sony xperia z

Also, you can get a compatible USB aircard (I believe it is 850MHz) and use it with any computing device that has a USB port. I use True's 4G with a Sierra aircard and my notebook computer.

Edit: By the way, True's "4G" where I live is slower than a dump from a constipated old man.

Edited by Ticketmaster

Assuming you plan to use the device on LTE here in Thailand now, or over the next few years, it should support LTE Bands 1 and 4.

TrueMove H operates LTE now on Band 1, with 2,000 base-stations and 17 provinces planned by year's end.

The NBTC is expected to aution 1800 MHz (band 4) in Oct. 2014, although DTAC may launch LTE on band 4 sooner as they already have the spectrum through 2018.

You'd have to match up device variants for those other countries to which you might travel, and expect to use LTE.

LTE may offer the service provider more benefits than the end-user. 3G is probably sufficient for most mobile applications here in Thailand for the foreseeable future (2+ years). There may also be some battery issues with supporting LTE in that you may increase your battery drain.

Edited by lomatopo

True 4G is a marketing ploy. I never saw True 3G 2100 mhz (52004) coverage outside of svarnabhumi airport. I'm sure they have base stations in sukhumvit line but I haven't been to sukhumvit for sometime.

True is behind all other operators in terms of deploying base stations and coverage due to their hidden contract with cat 850 mhz 3g, which is already covering most of the Thailand.

True 4G is a marketing ploy. I never saw True 3G 2100 mhz (52004) coverage outside of svarnabhumi airport. I'm sure they have base stations in sukhumvit line but I haven't been to sukhumvit for sometime.

True is behind all other operators in terms of deploying base stations and coverage due to their hidden contract with cat 850 mhz 3g, which is already covering most of the Thailand.

I have true 2100 MHz 52004 coverage in asok area, siam and almost all the areas I travel along central bangkok

Asoke and siam paragon and sukhumvit are prime areas, butnthey cover only a fraction of Bangkok.

We at least they do have some 4g lte , others don't even have that. Also apple approved true's 4g LTE infrastructure after a long process. Speed tests show an avg of 30 to 40 mb download with upload around 15.

I've just bought a Samsung S4 gt9505 LTE here in the UK and was wondering about whether it will work in Thailand when I come back.

Hope so? :)

As long as there is no carrier lock it will work. Just don't expect the same data speed as your getting in the U.K ;)

I've just bought a Samsung S4 gt9505 LTE here in the UK and was wondering about whether it will work in Thailand when I come back.

Hope so? smile.png

As long as there is no carrier lock it will work. Just don't expect the same data speed as your getting in the U.K wink.png

My AIS contract sim works fine in it, also on the model spec from Samsung its down as being International on the carrier setting.

£400 of Ebay with full warranty, very happy.

Hope so? smile.png

That SGS4 variant should work with TrueMove H's 2100 MHz LTE implementation, as it supports LTE 800 / 850 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600. That SGS4 variant also supports HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 so it will also work on any/all 3G options here as well.

TrueMove H is behind on 3G/2100 MHz deployment owing to a lack of funds, at least until they sell their "Infrastructure Fund" to generate capital. They have publicly claimed 4G/LTE/2100 MHz in Bangkok and near SBIA/BKK, with a plan to have 2,000 base-stations in 13 - 17 provinces by the end of this year (2013).

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/truemoveh4g#pane04

CAT/TrueMove H already have the most 3G coverage, 11,000 - 14,000 base-stations (CAT has 14,000, TrueMove H can use at least 11,000 of those) in 77 provinces, with 3G/850 MHz, and the fewest customers.

Until such time as the NBTC auctions 1800 MHz spectrum, now July - October, 2014 at the earliest, there will not be a lot of 4G here.

Hope so? smile.png

That SGS4 variant should work with TrueMove H's 2100 MHz LTE implementation, as it supports LTE 800 / 850 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600. That SGS4 variant also supports HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 so it will also work on any/all 3G options here as well.

TrueMove H is behind on 3G/2100 MHz deployment owing to a lack of funds, at least until they sell their "Infrastructure Fund" to generate capital. They have publicly claimed 4G/LTE/2100 MHz in Bangkok and near SBIA/BKK, with a plan to have 2,000 base-stations in 13 - 17 provinces by the end of this year (2013).

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/truemoveh4g#pane04

CAT/TrueMove H already have the most 3G coverage, 11,000 - 14,000 base-stations (CAT has 14,000, TrueMove H can use at least 11,000 of those) in 77 provinces, with 3G/850 MHz, and the fewest customers.

Until such time as the NBTC auctions 1800 MHz spectrum, now July - October, 2014 at the earliest, there will not be a lot of 4G here.

Cheers.

I didn't actually buy it for the 4G it was simply for the price, Same as I would of paid in Thailand for one but £100 less than the UK shop price.:)

• 1 month later...

Still digging around and learning about 4G I came across this info.

Some manufacturers seems to 'block' 4G on their devices in some countries as they want the standard VoLTE to be approved.

e; g VoLTE could be a factor for Apple to block 4G on the iPhone 5S in some countries - meaning that Apple wants to control the network ecosystem providing VoLTE.

Any updates on this, please?

^ Yes.

That looks like the D820 (U.S.) variant.

If/when LTE/1800 is auctioned, built-out offered, and/or some service providers decide to offer LTE/1800 on existing spectrum, then it wouldn't work on LTE/1800. But that is is really not a factor, IMO.

I'd likely buy the D820, in the U.S. given the lower price, as well.

That's correct, it's the D820. A friend brought me one over. I tried using the TRUEMOVE sim from my Note2 (same size) but it didn't seem to want to connect. Was wondering if I need to get down to TRUE and get a new sim or something. For practical reasons I haven't had the opportunity to do so yet.

^ Should be fine, probably just an APN configuration issue.

You have TrueMove H?

Name: TrueMove-H

APN: internet

Username: true

Password: true

APN type: default,supl (no spaces)

this last item, APN type, default,supl is the usual stumbling block, although I've seen cases where you had to use a Username of "ture".

Yes Truemove-H.

I'm currently not in wifi range and when I tried yesterday it started wanting to download a software update over the GSM network. I ticked ok but it never started so I just jumped to the conclusion the phone wasn't compatible with my old sim. Just tried again and this time it went through ok, so all good.

Nice little phone, curiously tiny when you've gotten used to the Note 2 - that my wife will now inherit :)

When they finally get 3G right let the 4G circus begin!! Pencil me in for a 4G account in 5-7 years smile.png

They'll have half of a 5G implementation in place by then (i.e. with speeds of 2.5G)....

LTE may only be wiping its feet on the proverbial doormat, and yet Samsung has already announced a significant breakthrough in the development of 5G mobile communications. The company says this will pave the way for next-generation mobile networks offering transmission speeds in the tens of gigabits per second – hundreds of times faster than LTE.

Samsung Electronics has developed an adaptive array transceiver capable of transmitting data at a rate of 1.056 Gbit/s at a range of up to 2 km (1.2 miles) in the tricky millimeter waveband. The millimeter band, or extremely high frequency band, is not normally associated with long-distance communications due to signal attenuation in the atmosphere and in rainfall.

• Like 1

coffee1.gif

I use 4G all over central bangkok. Some can tell you the theory, but generally even using dual carrier, you will get about 10 -12 meg on 3g, single carrier maybe 3-7 meg in real life terms (averages, not a waow peak speed in one sweet spot)

4G on True i am getting consistently 35Meg down and about 20 Meg up.

Still trying to find out what makes KitKat so much better than JellyBean. Haven't found any difference yet.

GEL, "Ok Google", better multi-tasking?

Maybe read about it? Watch some YouTube videos?

http://www.android.com/versions/kit-kat-4-4/

I like QBKing77: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV9JO76TEQ8

Also an improved base-band on my N4; I'm now getting 29 Mbps x 3 Mbps consistently with DTAC. Before it was 20/2.

Edited by lomatopo