Simple questions from a newbie planning to buy a scooter in BKK

MoTewada

Greetings,

I m planning to get my TH DL next week and get a scooter for traveling up country. I have never bought a vehicle here, so I am a bit lost when it comes to the process:

1. Will the motocy dealersphip get all the paper´s done at the Land Transport Office when purchasing a new motocy? Or, will I have to go with the sales staff to the Land Transport Office (assuming that I will provide the dealership with my Ti-yuu asai (residence certificate) and copy of my PP with my O-visa.

2. Will the plates be sent to the dealership (my preference as I plan to travel), or to my local address? How long will that take?

3. At what stage does the money change hands when purchasing the motocy? When I receive the purple book with my name in it, or when I sign a purchasing contract?

4. I assume mandatory insurance papers are drawn up by the dealer as well and I pay for it at the dealership?

5. What is different in regard to the paperwork-dance, registration, insurance, when buying a used motocy from a dealership, versus buying a new one.

6.. Anyone know of a reputable Honda dealership not far from the Lat Prao/Ratchada area (or easily reached by MRT/BTS) that sells Honda Wave´s and may even have some reliable 2nd hand scooters ready?

I appreciate informed replies which I hope wiill make me a bit more comfortable about the process!

Thank you!

1. Paperwork is all handled at the dealership

2. You can pick up the plates at the dealership

3. When you sign the papers. Book to follow.

4. Insurance part of the bottom line.

5. Used from a dealer? I don't know. I don't see a lot of used bikes at dealers.

6. Good luck

There are motorcycle dealers in the Huay Kwang Market, along the street furthest from Ratchadapisek. [an easy walk from MRT Huay Kwang] If you continue along that road, past the bus stop and into Soi Na Thong [Ratchada Soi 7], there are many local repair shops and some more sales shops. Probably cheaper than in Lad Prao, as it is local market. Buy some good fruit and veg while you are there.

I don't know about the paperwork, though have recently read a forum on here about it. As I recall you have to take some paperwork to the Officials first to get a permit to buy...

Attached is a great link that you will need to follow to obtain a Thai Drivers license. You will also need a letter from Immigration as well stating that you are allowed to purchase a motorbike.

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/thai%20license%20Checklist.pdf

As with mostly everything is life, just follow the steps and you will get what you want. Try to sidestep them, and you will get what you get. Have fun with your bike. I do agree completely with the post that said 110cc is not for traveling outside of town. Yamaha Nouvo is 135cc, and will make you very happy. Good bike.

If you plan on long distance travel, that is the criterion you should address first, anything sold here is good about town.

PCX comes to mind, but others here have more experience, I personally have two bikes, one for town the other for country.

One word of warning, be careful you don't get overcharged, some dealers may see you coming, I met one Ausi who paid 15,000 over the odds, he wasn't pleased when he found the same bike cheaper elsewhere.

Edited by AllanB

Thanks for all the helpful replies!

@ Bpuumike: As I will get my residence certificate for BKK which is needed for registration at the Land Office, I will buy the motocy herem and plan to ship it by train up to Esan - even shipping all the way to Nong Khai the cost is only about 750 bht and I plan to use the Bang Sue station for shipping.

In regard to engine size - I think a 110 or 125 ccm max engine size should be sufficient, I am a 140 lb guy...

I would consider a Yamaha if i were you , far better build quality and better resale value than any Honda.Have a look at a Yamaha Nouvoe ,Mio or Spark. Dont forget good safety equipment,good luck,and take it steady. .

Questionable if Yamaha is of better quality. Your opinion I guess. I only see young school girls driving around on small Yamahas like the Mio with automatic transmissions. Not much of a man's bike with a floorboard to plant your feet on. These bikes are called scooters, not motorcycles. A 110 cc bike will beat you to death after several hours of highway speeds. Get a real motorcycle with as much cc's as you can afford. And forget the automatic transmission, as they are nightmares to get worked on.

Thanks for all the helpful replies!

@ Bpuumike: As I will get my residence certificate for BKK which is needed for registration at the Land Office, I will buy the motocy herem and plan to ship it by train up to Esan - even shipping all the way to Nong Khai the cost is only about 750 bht and I plan to use the Bang Sue station for shipping.

In regard to engine size - I think a 110 or 125 ccm max engine size should be sufficient, I am a 140 lb guy...

For highway cruising and long rides.. your cc range is much to low. Most people with a bit of experience will tell you what.

I owned a honda wave.. and a cbr250r... the latter was much better for highway.. bit bad for transporting stuff as you need panniers.

I also own a yamaha 135cc and its a nice scooter... I also have a 650cc.. great for the highway. But I think a 250cc woud suffice. You might even go for a forza or a 150cc pcx though on the highway the 150cc pcx might still be a bit to slow.

For city use your cc range is good.

BTW: Anyone knows of a link with the current "official" (Honda) scooter prices in TH?

I only found this link to motocy/scooter prices, but the prices quoted are all for 2012 and seem outdated....

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/staticpages/index.php/Honda_Motorcycle_Price_List

Thanks again for helpful feedback!

@robblok: planned use is just pottering around town and the roadtrip ....I don´t plan to ever drive faster than 70-80 kph,

hence I think a 110-125 should suffice.

BTW: Anyone knows of a link with the current "official" (Honda) scooter prices in TH?

I only found this link to motocy/scooter prices, but the prices quoted are all for 2012 and seem outdated....

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/staticpages/index.php/Honda_Motorcycle_Price_List

Thanks again for helpful feedback!

@robblok: planned use is just pottering around town and the roadtrip ....I don´t plan to ever drive faster than 70-80 kph,

hence I think a 110-125 should suffice.

Have you ever driven in Thailand.. the road trips that you are talking about will require you to go to places where more power is needed. Too slow is dangerous.

One more simple/silly question.

Can a motocy be purchased and registered with Land Transport Office in a province that is different from what is stated on your residence certificate?
(My residence certificate will be issued for bkk, but I may want to purchase my motocy up in the northeast).

thanks again for helpful feedback!