PM instructs urgent help for flood victims

Lite Beer

PM instructs urgent help for flood victims
By English News

1381039396438-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 6 - Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra today expressed concern over the flood situation in Prachin Buri and Chai Nat provinces and instructed concerned agencies to quickly provide help for flood victims.

The premier made remarks before she left Bangkok for Bali, Indonesia to attend the APEC 2013 summit that she has assigned Deputy Premier Plodprasob Surasawadee, as chairman of the Flood and Water Management Commission, to coordinate with Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department to urgently provide help to flood victims.

She expressed confidence that this year's amount of water is not as much as in 2011 when the country faced its worst flooding in recent history.

She noted that only some areas, such as Prachin Buri's Kabin Buri district, received a large amount of water resulting from rainfall.

For the Chai Nat's floods, the premier said she has instructed the governor to inspect damages in affected areas and provide assistance to the victim.

However, the premier pointed out that the areas which have been affected by water released from Pasak Chonlasit Dam is quite worrying and that she asked relevant agencies to closely monitor the situation.

The Royal Irrigation Department is also monitoring the flood situation and the amount of water in large dams. The agency will work with the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration on water release plan in case of any emergency.

Meanwhile, heavy overnight rains has caused forest runoff in the northern province of Lampang this morning, and 150 houses in seven villages of the provincial seat were inundated up to one to two metres deep. Many of them failed to move their belongings to higher ground in time, and a rice mill was also damaged as about 100 tonnes of paddy and sticky rice were under floodwater.

The Meteorological Department announced today that there is an active low pressure over the upper Gulf of Thailand near Prachuap Kiri Khan, and expected it will make landfall tomorrow. A stronger southwest monsoon is prevailing over the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand, so torrential rain, as well as isolated heavy to very heavy rain, is likely over the areas. Locals should beware of severe weather during 6-8 October in provinces including Rayong, Chanthaburi, Trat, Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chumphon, Ranong, Phang-nga and Phuket.

During 7-11 October, another high pressure system from China will cover the upper North, leading to a drop in temperature and cool weather in the morning in the area, starting in the Northeast. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-10-06

Interesting today to see watching the English language news from V.T.V. ( excellent English too, far ahead of that here in the English language news slots) that in Vietnam the Vietnamese Red Cross are busy assisting flood victims

Now is that the case here that the Thai Red Cross are assisting flood victims if so why do we not see the news footage perhaps such footage is suppressed as it would spotlight the authorities weakness in assisting flood victims or are the ThaI Red Cross doing nothing at all?

• Like 1

Interesting today to see watching the English language news from V.T.V. ( excellent English too, far ahead of that here in the English language news slots) that in Vietnam the Vietnamese Red Cross are busy assisting flood victims

Now is that the case here that the Thai Red Cross are assisting flood victims if so why do we not see the news footage perhaps such footage is suppressed as it would spotlight the authorities weakness in assisting flood victims or are the ThaI Red Cross doing nothing at all?

Do you read the English Thai papers?There in are all your questions.

Do you read the English Thai papers?There in are all your questions.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Monday instructed the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department and other offices in risk areas to prepare for the storm,

kutjebu post # 8.

Living as we do on the Thai Cambodian border English language newspapers are about as rare as hens teeth coupled with a poor internet connection and service I glean my news via satellite dish T.V.

Now if you wish to inform me or us of the situation why did you post no information concerning the Thai red Cross?

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Monday instructed the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department and other offices in risk areas to prepare for the storm,

The above post from you is about governmental department actions not the Red Cross.

I thought the summit in Bali was or leaders or countries .... so shouldn't Thaksin be going?

Meanwhile 2-3 million people at home affected by floods ... YS leaves ... certainly she is no leader

But do not worry ... Thaksin sent a few box lunches .... cheap a$$ <deleted>

Thousands of pairs of Wellington boots on the way! Secret stash of Welly's held in Chiang Mai warehouses to be shipped by rail at high speed to flooded areas. The heroic PM and gallant cabinet do it again!

PM instructs urgent help for flood victims.

PM Yingluck tells police to curb crime and narcotics.

Thaksin tells police chief to tackle police kickbacks

When I read headlines like this, I wonder what the relevant authorities are doing. Isn't that what they are there for?

Why do water management officials need to be told to help flood victims.

Why do the police have to be told to curb crime?

Why are there kickbacks and why isn't the police chief moving heaven and earth to stamp out corruption.

Yes, I know the answer but it does seem rather pointless.

Funny you should say that, perhaps they did not get a job description when they applied.

Incompetitents are us!

"Instructs urgent help for flood victims"

Yeah sure, more empty words on her way on yet another unnecessary trip.

Maybe she should have followed Obamas example and stayed home, trying to deal with domestic crisis, instead of going for another photo op.

Sad thing is, that her voters, now up to the necks in water, wouldn't hesitate for a moment in electing her for a second term! sad.png

I think do anything...but do NOT follow Obamas example......

and a rice mill was also damaged as about 100 tonnes of paddy and sticky rice were under floodwater.

Don't wish to sound sceptical...but I bet that figure changes by a few decimal points in the near future whistling.gif

• Like 1

Famous YLS words on floods and basically everything that is a disaster =

No Problem at all !! then ....

Expresses Concern!!!... Then...

Instructs the governor to inspect damages in affected areas and provide assistance to the victim!!!... then....

Assigns someone to do her job and coordinate with other useless ones for urgent action !!...Then...

She expressed confidence that this year's amount of water is not as much as in 2011....Then....

A bright light came into her brainless head ..."However, the premier pointed out that the areas which have been affected by water released from Pasak Chonlasit Dam is quite worrying and that she asked relevant agencies to closely monitor the situation."

Ok now is Oct 6 and I have done my job so just all of you <deleted>> Off as I have a plane to catch to go to higher and drier grounds and important meetings...

"The Meteorological Department announced today that there is an active low pressure over the upper Gulf of Thailand near Prachuap Kiri Khan, and expected it will make landfall tomorrow. A stronger southwest monsoon is prevailing over the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand, so torrential rain, as well as isolated heavy to very heavy rain, is likely over the areas. Locals should beware of severe weather during 6-8 October in provinces including Rayong, Chanthaburi, Trat, Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chumphon, Ranong, Phang-nga and Phuket."

Have a good , safe and dry trip Madam PM ....

• Like 1

Just a few weeks ago, she was telling everyone not to worry about floods in Thailand ... Is there a brain in there somewhere?

Do you normally wait for an order from government before you make decision? Two weeks is a long time with regard to weather.

I don't know about you but if I lived in a place that was known as a flood area ( how dumb was I to pick that place to live in the first place let alone stay there) and it was the rainy season and there had been a couple of Typhoons pass by, let alone very heavy rainfall, I'd probably make my own mind up about what to do and not waste breath on writing posts blaming the government.