Best dining places

junglechef

First time post in BBK forum but imagine this has be discussed at length. Anyway heading down for a week visit in a few days and looking for some suggestions of only the best. Want to take the GF to "best restaurant in town" for a nice dress up evening, hopefully Thai but any cuisine if its really worth it (for instance not interested in best French in BKK as I can go to Paris unless it of that caliber). And the best of any number of dishes (I eat everything and the smellier and gooyer the better) is really what I'm interested in from street food, Chinatown and my favorite real foodie hole-in-the-walls. Also love to try the gross weird stuff as I feel the need to stick everything in my mouth that someone else dares to call food. Bringing along the Thai family of 8, whom I won't always be dining with, but when I do maybe some fun places for kids for Mexican or Pizza. If you have a secret place and don't want to go public with the name for guaranteed good karma for life PM me with the details, I'd appreciate it and give you the real deal food tour of Chiang Mai anytime you come up!

If you want to stick with 'the best restaurant in town' I'd go with Sala Rim Naam at the Mandarin Oriental hotel. It's a royal Thai cuisine set menu along with a traditional Thai show. Not cheap and a tad touristy but personally it's well worth going if you have never been IMO. Have fun!

• Like 1

Dined at Lord Jims many years ago and was very good. Last time in town 2 yrs ago,, also for my birthday dinner, went to Nam which was a worthwhile experience. I booked at Bo.Lan for this weekend but after reading the tripadvivor and a few other reviews I started thinking I might do better and decided to ask here.

--- Want to take the GF to "best restaurant in town"

Assuming your GF is Thai, she'll probably get more enjoyment from a 30-baht noodle soup on the street corner. I have yet meet a Thai woman who can appreciate anything more sophisticated than Sizzler. Sizzler and MK are "real swanky" restaurants to them.

--- really what I'm interested in from street food

I told you, just take her and the extended family for noodle soup. If you really want to impress, order it with "double meat" for an extra 15 baht.

• Like 2

Assuming your GF is Thai, she'll probably get more enjoyment from a 30-baht noodle soup on the street corner. I have yet meet a Thai woman who can appreciate anything more sophisticated than Sizzler. Sizzler and MK are "real swanky" restaurants to them.

You need to mingle in a different crowd ....

• Like 1

Over the years my Thai family has developed thier appreciation for many cuisines and foodstuffs, even Yai can be a deserving critic on the rare occasions she comes out from the rice fields. When it comes to my 9 yr old Thai boy not only can distinguish a properly cooked dish of pasta for example but can make a bolognaise from fresh tomatoes understanding the need to develop the natural sugars by simmering for at least three hours and his little brother can cook the linguini to a perfect al dente. They are only limited by what they are told they should be and along with my tutelage have quite a broad understanding of food. We all love a good bowl of noodle soup and fine French cuisine. One should never underestimate the enjoyment food can bring nor those who are eating it.

• Like 1

Over the years my Thai family has developed thier appreciation for many cuisines and foodstuffs, even Yai can be a deserving critic on the rare occasions she comes out from the rice fields. When it comes to my 9 yr old Thai boy not only can distinguish a properly cooked dish of pasta for example but can make a bolognaise from fresh tomatoes understanding the need to develop the natural sugars by simmering for at least three hours and his little brother can cook the linguini to a perfect al dente. They are only limited by what they are told they should be and along with my tutelage have quite a broad understanding of food. We all love a good bowl of noodle soup and fine French cuisine. One should never underestimate the enjoyment food can bring nor those who are eating it.

Yes my gf raved about the fois gras at the Marriott's evening buffet. Not the best place in town but certainly worth a visit.

• Like 1

If you want to stick with 'the best restaurant in town' I'd go with Sala Rim Naam at the Mandarin Oriental hotel. It's a royal Thai cuisine set menu along with a traditional Thai show. Not cheap and a tad touristy but personally it's well worth going if you have never been IMO. Have fun!

I have eaten at Sala Rim Naam and was less than impressed.

In my opinion, it is difficult to go upscale and be authentic when it comes to Thai food. Keeping this in mind, two restaurants I believe are better than Sala Rim Naam and equally upscale:

Nahm: Metropolitan Hotel (note, Nahm claims to be very authentic and traditional, and preparing Thai food the way it was done years ago. I have gone with several elderly Thais who have been delighted by foods they have not seen since they were children.) Hard for me to describe the crowd - business, tourists, hi-so, it gets them all.

Benjarong: Dusit Thani Hotel – a bit westernized. Gets a an upper-class Thai business crowd as well as hotel guests.

Not into Westernized Thai either the fusion or watered down type. As mentioned liked Nam but want to try somewhere new for me. Recently ate at a private dinner cooked by David Thompson and was less than impressed but his food and his demenour.

It was more the way he presented himself professionally. It was at a winery and he was looking quite a mess slugging beer and using foul language during his talk to the well dressed guests who paid a pretty penny to attend. Everything came out very late and not very organized and not especially great. One could see flourishes of brilliance but overall not an impressive showing from a man with such a reputation.

I am of the opinion that there is no point eating Thai food in an upscale / expensive restaurant, as the best Thai food can be found on the streets.

However, if you're after a good 'dining experience' with great food, does Italian rock your boat?

I have always liked Angelini at Shangri-La for a memorable night out.

What is your budget? 20-30k? Just your GF or family members in tow as well?

It's a bit challenging to get your exact requirements, due to the lack of punctuation & spacing in your post.

Not taking anything away from good street food but I've found the best Thai to be found in restaurants where the Chefs have more experience in a variety of dishes and especially better products such as fresh seafood. Also a nice atmosphere is nice

As I don't know the rep of each poster in the BKK forum But would have to guess your one of the jokers (and grammar police) suggesting a 30k baht meal for two (as I think my requirements are clear enough). I thought the Chiang Mai forum was a tough crowd for bashing me for spending 5000 bht on lunch at the Four Seasons in Mae Rim.

Italian is fine but I'm personally not a big fan of hotel restaurants unless they are chef driven as they often feel contrived and they ask too much for what they are serving since they use the captive audience theory.

Anybody been to Bo.lan or sirocco? (Please don't hate me that's how they spell them)