Price/Quality of Hospitals around Pattaya

djmatty

Hi All,

I suffer with a recurring condition(Bipolar Disorder) which is expensive to ensure as pre existing. I've had to be admitted in Thailand twice in ten years, and had a good experience at Pattaya Memorial which cost me £800, and a bad one at Bangkok Pattaya, which cost me £4000. I won't ever need any operations, just care, and would be able to travel a reasonable distance to get it, say 50k or so if need be, if Pattaya Memorial was full, as it was last time; I was shoved into BP, where I was overcharged, and where my expensive watch was stolen. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to go for reasonable/quality care, in case the worst happens again please?

Regards, Matt.

Have you thought of the possibility of returning home.

The provision of psychiatric care is not a strong point in Thailand and in patient care reaching Western standards will be expensive unless you access care in a Government facility where costs will be less.

Have you thought of the possibility of returning home.

The provision of psychiatric care is not a strong point in Thailand and in patient care reaching Western standards will be expensive unless you access care in a Government facility where costs will be less.

I wasn't in a position to return home in either case, as I was unfit to fly due to the properties of the illness(physical weakness and disorganised thought processes mainly).

It doesn't actually require a great deal of acute psychiatric care, just medical supervision to make sure that meds and nutrition are given, and I am kept out of harms way over a 7-10 day period until the episode subsides.

Thank you anyway for the reply.

I should add that Pattaya Memorial did that very well, the trouble is they are often full, which is why I was looking for an alternative at similar cost.

Edited by djmatty

I noticed you speak of £'s which would indicate you are from the UK.

Returning home would ensure access to "free" care in the event of an acute episode and on going community support which will never be available in Thailand.

The cost of one stay in Pattaya Memorial would cover the cost of a ticket home.

The time to think about your situation is whilst you are well.

There are a number of issues not the least being your ability to sustain a legal presence in Thailand over the long term.

As you know your condition is not insurable and you will therefore have to meet any care costs from within your own , private resource, which, if anything like mine, is not inexhaustiblesmile.png

edit

spelling +punctuation

Edited by Sceptict11

I noticed you speak of £'s which would indicate you are from the UK.

Returning home would ensure access to "free" care in the event of an acute episode and on going community support which will never be available in Thailand.

The cost of one stay in Pattaya Memoria would cover the cost of a ticket home.

The time to think about your situation is whilst you are well.

There are a number of issues not the least being your ability to sustain a legal presence in Thailand over the long term.

As you know your condition is not insurable and you will therefore have to meet any care costs from within your own , private, resource which if anything like mine is not inexhaustible:)

Yes I am from the U.K and I do receive on going care here which is, of course, free.

I DO NOT live in Thailand, my question is related to dealing with the possibility of becoming ill whilst on holiday and being temporarily unable to fly.

I am well now, which is why I'm trying to prepare for the worst and gather as much information as I can.

You are of course completely right, it would be foolish of me to attempt to live in Thailand unless I were prepared to pay all the medical bills all the time, but I've got sick twice in 30 trips, so even with

1 hefty bill it's still worked out cheaper than 30 very expensive travel insurance policies. The alternative is not coming at all, which I'm not prepared for just yet.

Edited by Phil Conners
Fixed quote

A short trip out of town gets you to Sri Racha where Phyathai Hospital is usually good quality and far less expensive than any of the private hospitals in Pattaya, and it has a psychiatric dept.

http://www.phyathai-sriracha.com/en/department/psychiatric/

Many thanks Sheryl, hopefully I'll never need it as I've been well on holiday recently, but it's best to be prepared. I paid around £100(5000THB) a night at Pattaya Memorial, will it be even cheaper than that?

Edited by djmatty