Lone Buddhist widow holds out in war-torn Thai village

webfact

Lone Buddhist widow holds out in war-torn Thai village
by Aidan JONES

BAAN GA DOH, October 8, 2013 (AFP) - Guarded by Thai soldiers from rebel attacks, an 81-year-old grandmother -- the last Buddhist in a Muslim village -- refuses to abandon her home, defying a wider split between insurgency-plagued communities.
Since violence erupted in the Muslim-dominated Thai deep south in 2004, Jiaw Pongthawil has seen her Buddhist neighbours flee Baan Ga Doh, a remote village in a security "red zone" in Narathiwat province.
She is now the only Buddhist among 1,200 Malay Muslims.
"I'm afraid. I have been attacked many times... but I have nowhere else to go. This is my property. This is my land," she says, her voice faltering.
It is a demographic shift playing out across the southern provinces of Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat, where a festering rebellion against Bangkok's rule has killed more than 5,700 people.
Estimates suggest half of the region's 400,000 Thai Buddhists have fled in the nine years of war, wearied by near-daily attacks against state representatives and their perceived supporters, including many Muslims.
That decline -- among a local population of around 1.8 million -- may shape tentative peace talks with rebels, according to experts who say nervous Thai Buddhists are pressing Bangkok to secure their future.
Many Muslims lament the growing split from their erstwhile neighbours.
But there is also little love lost for Thai authorities after decades of alleged human rights abuses and efforts to weave the culturally distinct south into the kingdom.
Those have included handing land and high status official jobs to Thai Buddhist migrants, stoking resentment among the local population and skewing the economic fortunes of the two groups.
Jiaw's home has been attacked three times in recent years despite the deployment of a squad of soldiers inside her compound.
In the last attack, in July, a homemade grenade was lobbed from the adjacent road but failed to detonate after hitting a 10-metre (33 feet) high security net.
The mother-of-six was widowed in 2007, leaving her alone in a spacious bungalow festooned with dusty curios and weathered posters of Thailand's revered king.
Former neighbours now living apart
Her military guards, stationed in sand-bagged dug outs around the compound, say she is a courageous Thai elder who they are willing to defend with their lives.
Security forces in the violence-racked region are often assigned to guard people of both religions who are considered targets of the militants for their supposed collusion with the state, with teams of troops flanking monks on their rounds and teachers as they make their way to and from school.
But while Jiaw is grateful for their protection, she is saddened that most of her Muslim neighbours no longer visit her.
"We used to live together... we helped each other. But now they (Muslims) want all of us out. Buddhists and Muslims live apart," she says.
The Southern Border Provinces Administration Centre, which governs the restive region, told AFP there had been no exodus of Thais, insisting Buddhists were in fact relocating to the conflict zone.
But the available figures paint a starkly different picture.
The last survey in 2010 by the National Statistical Office found 288,000 Buddhists living in the three provinces, 20 percent fewer than a pre-war count in 2000.
Academics say the numbers have slumped further since 2010 in parallel with a rise in violence.
The flight marks a success for the rebels, a shadowy collection of groups who are fighting for a form of autonomy from Thailand, which annexed the south a century ago.
Danger lies in the growing divide, according to Srisompob Jitpiromsri of Prince of Songkhla University in Pattani.
Once seen as the champions of the Thai state in its southernmost territory, Buddhists are anxiously watching peace talks, fearing their influence could be eroded.
"Any new political settlement will be a very bitter pill for Thai Buddhists to swallow," says Srisompob, who is an observer at the talks.
"Tensions will reach a higher level if any settlement doesn't resolve their concerns," he says, warning "sectarian violence could be the consequence" if a form of self-government emerges.
Security forces accused of rights abuses
With violence -- by both rebels and Thai security forces -- setting the temperature for community relations, hopes for reconciliation appear distant.
Checkpoints restrict access to Thai areas of many villages, while soldiers guard Buddhist temples and heavily-armed patrols scour Muslim hamlets for militants, spreading fear among remote and traditional communities.
So-called red zones -- where militant activity is deemed to be high -- are the most clearly split, although pluralism can still be found in the south's city centres which are markedly safer.
But even there long-established Thai and Thai-Chinese merchant families are in retreat -- many have sold up or sent their families away.
For their part Muslims have long railed at what they see as the Thai state riding roughshod over their Melayu culture.
Widespread allegations of extra-judicial killings and other human rights abuses by security forces compound the hostility.
While the Thai administration has taken some steps to appoint more Malay Muslims to its ranks, locals say casual prejudice lingers, embodied by the description of them as 'khek' -- the Thai word for guest.
In Baan Ga Doh local headman Uzman Ahmad, who is a Muslim, remembers Jiaw from his childhood when the village was at peace.
"I really wanted the Buddhists to stay. We were brothers," he says, a pistol holstered by his side. "Maybe one day we can live together again, but now it is too dangerous for them."
afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-10-08

So sad that the Govt and Military are totally clueless as to what needs to be done.

Years of oppression are one of the main reasons for what is happening and will have to be addressed before any improvement or there will be many more stories the same as this one.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is the true militant agenda. The Muslim fanatics are setting out to ethnically cleanse these provinces. The Muslim moderates are allowing them to do it.

Ethnic cleansing in Southern Thailand. Disgraceful.

How are the Thai Muslim 'moderates' 'allowing' 'the displacement of Buddhists?

Local Muslims including Imans, who support the peace process or inform against the armed insurgent groups are regularly murdered. Just as a reminder the most senior Iman in the deep South, who was supporting the dialogue for peace process, was recently shot by the insurgents.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/08/05/thailand-concerned-after-key-peace-talk-imam-shot-dead/

This is the true militant agenda. The Muslim fanatics are setting out to ethnically cleanse these provinces. The Muslim moderates are allowing them to do it.

Ethnic cleansing in Southern Thailand. Disgraceful.

How are the Thai Muslim 'moderates' 'allowing' 'the displacement of Buddhists?

Local Muslims including Imans, who support the peace process or inform against the armed insurgent groups are regularly murdered. Just as a reminder the most senior Iman in the deep South, who was supporting the dialogue for peace process, was recently shot by the insurgents.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/08/05/thailand-concerned-after-key-peace-talk-imam-shot-dead/

I clearly pointed out that there was a recent assassination of a Muslim cleric that was preaching peace, I could not have been clearer.

The moderates are giving tacit support, they are allowing the Buddhists to be marginalized. They are creating Muslim only Ghettos, and are allowing patrols of radicals to police their streets, especially at nights. The entire region is starting to split into the classic segregationist policies and sectarianism best displayed in Northern Ireland.

People like to hide in a grey area, and that's what I saw in Northern Ireland, that's what I'm seeing in the South. They don't war, but they don't want to do what it takes to create peace. The inaction of the majority emboldens the minority of psychotics to go about their deadly business.

The difference in Northern Ireland though, the IRA would never have dreamed of assassinating a Priest that counselled peace. What these people are doing in the South is an abomination, murdering their own clerics in the name of the cause is a disgrace to their religion. I blame the majority, these psychos should now be living in fear of the majority turning against them, but they won't, because they love hiding in that grey area.

• Like 1

So sad.

For those bashing Muslims, opposite thing is happening in Myanmar (ie Buddhist displacing Muslims). The real problem is the governments are not even trying to understand those conflict, and are not doing anything for solving them, they just benefit from the fighting and get publicity. It's really sad.

This is the kind of story I appreciate that it will show up on TV.

George, can you not open a contribution fund were TV users are actually able to help that granny by sending her a few thousand Baht to make her life more comfortable. I always tambon at a local Wat but I think this old granny deserves some of my money.

We can make a difference to some Thai's that are in a very difficult situation in the South.

Edited for Typo's

Edited by MobileContent

How absolutely obscene that an 81 year old widow needs armed guards simply because of her religious beliefs. What kind of sick twisted people could possibly consider her any sort of 'enemy'?

Edited by marell
  • Like 1

I personally thought the story of the lone monk that had to be guarded by soldiers as he went about collecting alms was a genuine low point in this debacle. If you remember, the militants attacked and killed his two bodyguards. The monk abandoned the Temple as he couldn't face putting any one else's life at risk. There was a recent story about that Temple having all of it's artefacts removed for safe keeping.

The Muslim community should have been in uproar about that attack.

On the other hand, these militant lunatics recently assassinated a Muslim cleric that was preaching peace, that was a complete and utter disgrace too.

I blame the moderate Muslims as much as anyone, they should be sending out a message of " Not In My Name ". These militant psychotics rely upon the local population being supportive, withdraw the support and they will wither quickly.

I have no issue with this region wanting special recognition of it's historical status, only next year I'll be voting on a Scottish referendum for Independence, ( it will be a Yes vote ). People should look to Scotland to see a text book example of how political nous and will without the threat of violence brought this about. We had a couple of nutters that tried to mimic the IRA terrorist tactic, the Scottish public universally rejected that path. These guys were quickly rooted out and jailed.

That is the power of moderates, militants can't act without the approval of moderates, it's as simple as that.

"these militant lunatics recently assassinated a Muslim cleric ...."

Why would a Muslim kill a Muslim. I think it is the work of a Buddhist.

Don't tell me Buddhist do not exercise violence against Muslim..... Check out Myanmar.

So sad.

For those bashing Muslims, opposite thing is happening in Myanmar (ie Buddhist displacing Muslims). The real problem is the governments are not even trying to understand those conflict, and are not doing anything for solving them, they just benefit from the fighting and get publicity. It's really sad.

Myanmar news are govt propaganda... i.e. not true.

Thai news is true, because reported by Farang.

I personally thought the story of the lone monk that had to be guarded by soldiers as he went about collecting alms was a genuine low point in this debacle. If you remember, the militants attacked and killed his two bodyguards. The monk abandoned the Temple as he couldn't face putting any one else's life at risk. There was a recent story about that Temple having all of it's artefacts removed for safe keeping.

On the other hand, these militant lunatics recently assassinated a Muslim cleric that was preaching peace, that was a complete and utter disgrace too.

I blame the moderate Muslims as much as anyone, they should be sending out a message of " Not In My Name ". These militant psychotics rely upon the local population being supportive, withdraw the support and they will wither quickly.

I have no issue with this region wanting special recognition of it's historical status, only next year I'll be voting on a Scottish referendum for Independence, ( it will be a Yes vote ). People should look to Scotland to see a text book example of how political nous and will without the threat of violence brought this about. We had a couple of nutters that tried to mimic the IRA terrorist tactic, the Scottish public universally rejected that path. These guys were quickly rooted out and jailed.

That is the power of moderates, militants can't act without the approval of moderates, it's as simple as that.

"these militant lunatics recently assassinated a Muslim cleric ...."

Why would a Muslim kill a Muslim. I think it is the work of a Buddhist.

Don't tell me Buddhist do not exercise violence against Muslim..... Check out Myanmar.

As is other Muslim societies those that are calling for peace or rejection of Islamic extremism are often murdered. As a quick example, some senior Pakistani politicians have been murdered by the Pakistani Taliban & other groups when they have called for rejection of the radical Islamic agenda.

Alternatively Thai English language media & the likes of Human Rights Watch have on a number of occasion referred to the Buddhist death squads operating in the deep South, as well as torture of detainees by security forces. Also it has been reported that those Thai Muslims who have been detained and after investigation released, have been tracked down & murdered.

It's easy to say that moderates should step up and assist with identifying members of the armed militant & other activities, but generally the Thai government & security agencies seem by their actions to be doing everything to contradict an incorporation in their COIN strategy a "hearts and minds" campaign. It is fair to say there has been some success with insurgents surrendering to the Thai military, but my guess is they are the they are the old guard, not the people allegedly doing the killings i.e. the Juwae.

What is not identified is the impact of the extensive corruption by the security agencies that again has been mentioned in the Thai media

A good article summarising the history & current issues in the deep South is at the URL below.

http://www.ctc.usma.edu/posts/the-upcoming-peace-talks-in-southern-thailands-insurgency

Edited by simple1

Did everyone miss the part about Thailand 'annexing' this Malay area a century ago? It is not properly a part of Thailand and never has been. I'd say a 'Special Autonomous Zone' would be a good start. Thailand had no problem giving Penang to the Brits a while back, so why is there such a problem giving some consideration to the actual local residents in an area 'Thai' only by government-supported transmigration?

Did everyone miss the part about Thailand 'annexing' this Malay area a century ago? It is not properly a part of Thailand and never has been. I'd say a 'Special Autonomous Zone' would be a good start. Thailand had no problem giving Penang to the Brits a while back, so why is there such a problem giving some consideration to the actual local residents in an area 'Thai' only by government-supported transmigration?

Did you notice that the Thais "annexed large area of Burma hundreds of years ago, also parts ot Laos and Cambodia or does that not matter?

why don't you ask to give this land to Malaysia? It's so easy to cede land if it's not your homeland!

Back in the 70's they were called Communists and used to rob people.These so called militants are just criminals dressing themselves up as muslim freedom fighters.There will be no freedom if they take power.The govt. has done nothing to help the problem and is the problem in many respects.Give and take from both sides,but a long way from happening.Needs real leaders from both sides.Evil flourishs when good men and women say nothing.