Strange Shenanigans At Immigration

Mrs Moog went to pick up my 1 yr Category O visa yesterday (except its not one year, its 8 months - since I came here in October).

Something strange - to bring to your attention.

About the deposit - they said...

"we want to see another B400,000 sent to his account when the next renewal is due"

"Its there already"

"No, that's for this year. We want to see a fresh B.400,000 coming in and new Bank letters to prove remittance".

Seems unbelievable, but they were quite adamant.

From July 04 the deposit increases from 200,000 to 400,000. They were forewarning you for next year.

Except he should only have to provide 200k this and next year. Wonder if the 400k is a typo? Also wonder why he did not show up to obtain the visa himself? Suspect immigration may also have asking themselves that second question. Did he provide a verified source for his foreign income on his data sheet? If not perhaps they suspect local work without a work permit as the source of support. As for the money being "fresh" that been a requirement but is not often closely checked AFAIK.

I thought this was going to be Grandfathered?

In otherwords if you qualified already under the old regulations you stayed on the old regs. This has already been established with the Retirement Visa and is spelt out the new regs as well.

Or does this mean they what to screw those of us who are married??

I thought this was going to be Grandfathered?

Or does this mean they what to screw those of us who are married?? 

I do not want to be a Grandfather :D And yes I am also married and I get the screws put to me on a regular basis :o

Devil's advocate here...isn't it getting more equitable rather than a screw job ? A guy married to a Thai with umpteen kids needed 200,000 baht by way of bank or an income, or a combination. A solo foreigner needed 800,000 as it stands. That seems both inequitable and unfair. Any reasonable person should, I think, see that.

I heard that two can live as cheaply as one......but only for half as long :o

The matter I wanted to bring to people's attention was their statement that the B400,000 had to be new money brought in each year - even if I haven't spent the 400k already in there.

If this turns out to be accurate it could prove extremely tiresome to transfer out and in again - but that would be a way around it.

I sincerely hope that Mrs Moog was misled.

The matter I wanted to bring to people's attention was their statement that the B400,000 had to be new money brought in each year - even if I haven't spent the 400k already in there.

If this turns out to be accurate it could prove extremely tiresome to transfer out and in again - but that would be a way around it.

I sincerely hope that Mrs Moog was misled.

here's a suggestion that i did that might work for you...go back in a few weeks and find a DIFFERENT officer. ask the officer that you would like something in writing, like a checklist what will be required for you to bring in for your next one year extension. they should give you a checklist form called "TO INSPECTOR OF SECT.3 SUB DIV.2 IMMIGRATION DIV.1".

this is the checklist that the immigration officers use when they review your one year extension. it is written in thai and english on the same paper, there will be checkmarks next to what you are required to bring in. for me marriage certificate, house registration etc etc.

number 7 says bank statement together with a certificate letter. here i made the officer write in the amount 200k. then i made her sign her name and date it.

note: i did this last year just as soon as the 400k rumour started, just for ammo. but every officer and big boss kept telling me don't worry, the bank balance requirement increase in july to 400k is only for new applicants., but having it gave me piece of mind a long time ago.

My experience has been that got an Notarized AFFIDAVIT from the US Embassy stating that I had a military retirement in the amount of $1,163 per month. I then had to take that Affidavit to the Thai Legal Department at the Foreign office where it was certified as being notarized by the proper Embassy personnel. Then together with my Passport, my wife House book, our Marriage Certificate and my Passport and two photos I went to the Immigration Office and my One Year extension was granted after I filled out the required forms. No letter from the bank, no bank accounts, just the documents that I referred to. Sometimes I had to come back but never a problem and always courteous service and without the alleged problems of Phuket offices. :o

I think,from my own personal experience that you will get a different answer from every officer that you talk to and from different offices,CM,Nong Khai,BKK, every one has different rules that you have to go by,if you don't like what you hear,go and talk to someone else or to a different district.

When I first went to BKK and was talking to an officer,I said this is what I read in the regs., She said that might be so, But this is what I require!

When a friend of mine checked with the minister of immigration ,he was told that the posted regs are guidelines only and each office is autonomous..Which I have found to be so.

Its obvious that they somehow want to force you to spend x amount a year here but realistically cant (shopping receits to be scrutinised next year ?). like somebody said whats to stop you just recycling most of the same money ? Are there limits and rules about sending money back to your home country from Thailand and are these rules going to be tightened ?

My experience has been that got an Notarized AFFIDAVIT from the US Embassy stating that I had a military retirement in the amount of $1,163 per month. I then had to take that Affidavit to the Thai Legal Department at the Foreign office where it was certified as being notarized by the proper Embassy personnel. Then together with my Passport, my wife House book, our Marriage Certificate and my Passport and two photos I went to the Immigration Office and my One Year extension was granted after I filled out the required forms. No letter from the bank, no bank accounts, just the documents that I referred to. Sometimes I had to come back but never a problem and always courteous service and without the alleged problems of Phuket offices. :o

Your income is sufficient, even for the post July increases announced. Good for you :D

I think,from my own personal experience that you will get a different answer from every officer that you talk to and from different offices,CM,Nong Khai,BKK, every one has different rules that you have to go by,if you don't like what you hear,go and talk to someone else or to a different district.

When I first went to BKK and was talking to an officer,I said this is what I read in the regs., She said that might be so, But this is what I require!

When a friend of mine checked with the minister of immigration ,he was told that the posted regs are guidelines only and each office is autonomous..Which I have found to be so.

Ain't that the truth Kev...ain't that the truth :D It makes it very difficult to advise people because it seems that the rules are that there are no rules :o

B 400,000 was indeed written on the paper collected on tuesday.

But what they added verbally was that I can't turn up with my bangkok bank passbook showing B400,000 in savings that I showed them this time. They want to see a new B400,000 on top of that.

That ain't what the rules say....simply that amount in the bank or a combination of income and savings. Gradually draw it out and put in another account if you like, then top up the account from the second account next year.

B 400,000 was indeed written on the paper collected on tuesday.

But what they added verbally was that I can't turn up with my bangkok bank passbook showing B400,000 in savings that I showed them this time. They want to see a new B400,000 on top of that.

That ain't what the rules say....simply that amount in the bank or a combination of income and savings. Gradually draw it out and put in another account if you like, then top up the account from the second account next year.

dr pp is telling you how to do it, have a second account and then transfer the money back.

i don't understand why they quoted him 400k for right now it usually is 200k

and to tell him that he can't just keep the same 400k in the bank, they must of not liked this guy.

what immigration office was this MOOG? it doesn't sound like bangkok thai immigration at all, so head up there if you want to be treated better.

i realize that for one year extension regulations, thai immigration had to make some sort of requirement to show that someone can support his wife so it was decided 200k seems fair what is not common sense about this requirement is that if MOOG has 400k and doesn't touch it for a year, and his wife is still fed, clothed and still breathing i would say he has supported her. why would he need a different 400k to prove anything. does immigration really think expats only have one bank account?

MOOG, avoid that immigration officer and/or the office again is my advice.

yes but the trouble with this is they will want to see that the money has come from abroad.That is why i asked earlier whether sending money out of the country will become more controlled in the future and whether some sort of asset control i.e something like havimg to declare every bank account you have in Thailand to immigration type of law for foreigners will be introduced .

Huski:

hmmm it looks like it's in BKK indeed as the topic is "Mrs Moog goes to Soi Suanplu...."

Would not be that easy to find another office if he leaves in BKK. I am not sure that he could say "please let me talk to another officer" next time he goes there. Maybe the problem came when he didn't come in person as I was considering to do before your advice :o

Devil's advocate here...isn't it getting more equitable rather than a screw job ? A guy married to a Thai with umpteen kids needed 200,000 baht by way of bank or an income, or a combination. A solo foreigner needed 800,000 as it stands. That seems both inequitable and unfair. Any reasonable person should, I think, see that.

I heard that two can live as cheaply as one......but only for half as long :o

Maybe they thought that the husband can put his wife to work.Part of the 800,000 are for problems in case of illness or accident, so in that particular case a married guy could be able to get some support from his thai wife's family, which may not be the case for a solo guy. Just thinking loud...., maybe another reason to have lower requirements for spouse of thai citizen.

I just thought about the fact that that the PM's son was born in Texas when the PM went to school there, thus making him a U.S. Citizen :o . Maybe we can get him to join us on our Visa Runs and maybe even on this board. What do you think guys? :D

I just thought about the fact that that the PM's son was born in Texas when the PM went to school there, thus making him a U.S. Citizen :o . Maybe we can get him to join us on our Visa Runs and maybe even on this board. What do you think guys? :D

You'll only get jealous when you see his personal effects...watches pens gold :D

yes but the trouble with this is they will want to see that the money has come from abroad.That is why i asked earlier whether sending money out of the country will become more controlled in the future and whether some sort of asset control i.e something like havimg to declare every bank account you have in Thailand to immigration type of law for foreigners will be introduced .

You got it Parry. Those guys are only interested that the money has come from abroad. I discovered that last year when I tried to apply for a Non-O in country. You could have a million baht sitting in some account, but they're not interested, so long as you cannot prove that it came from abroad. Hence, some of us are destined to continual border hops for the rest of time, or until those get axed too, when we get a one way ticket back to blighty.

So, I suspect Moog can not just set up a ocal bank a/c for money shuffles, he'll have to transfer it out the country and in again, with all the hassle and bank chages that go with it.

Correct - they said (and it was Suanplu in bangkok) - for the next renewal the next B400,000 I bring in has to be from outside the country again - and they want to see the new inbound remittance notice & Bank letter.

Finger's crossed that this doesn't stick. Bringing in a fresh 400,000 every year is going to be vexing.

why don't the gov't

laid out all the rules

on the table and

update all it's agency

and make it standard...

and publish it once in six months on the latest rule even if there's no changes to remind their own people of what it the actual...

why don't the gov't

laid out all the rules

on the table and

update all it's agency

and make it standard...

and publish it once in six months on the latest rule even if there's no changes to remind their own people of what it the actual...

Sounds like a good idea....but there's little chance they'll do that. There's no place for logic in the way the Government does business :o