Gay event to be Phuket's TAT chief's final hurrah

webfact

Gay event to be Phuket's TAT chief's final hurrah
Jody Houton

gv.jpg

PHUKET: -- As opening up Phuket to more profitable ‘niche’ markets was always a high priority for the Director of Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Phuket office, Chanchai Duangjit, the upcoming Glow Phuket festival (October 18-20) will, rather ironically, prove to be his final, rather flamboyant and flawless swan song.

However Bangkok-born Mr Chanchai will not be on the island to enjoy it, as he will be moving to Bangkok to work as the director of the HR department of the TAT headquarters. He had been the director in Phuket for 13 months.

“I’m sad to leave. I like Phuket, but I’m happy that the TAT and Phuket Governor Maitree Intusut were so receptive of one of my main ideas [which was] to introduce new markets.”

Mr Chanchai told The Phuket News earlier this week that so called “high yield” markets, such as the the wedding, yachting and marina, medical tourism and, of course, LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) markets were what Phuket will now be focusing on.

The latter was one that was already gathering momentum.

“Although Phuket already has a festival and parade for the LGBT community – Phuket Pride – Glow Phuket want to do something bigger, something different.”

Mr Chanchai believes that there is no reason why Phuket could not one day host a LGBT event that could rival the spectacular gay pride festivals held in Los Angeles, Vancouver and Sao Paulo.

The Glow Phuket festival, on October 18-20, is only the start of the TAT’s plans to really start targeting the LGBT community.

“The LGBT is a high yield market. We [TAT] have been talking about targeting the LGBT for a long time, but we’re ready to do it now.”

Mr Chanchai did admit, however, that the decision to focus on the particular market was not taken lightly.

“Many Thai people might be asking why are we supporting and targeting the LGBT community, but it’s good for tourists and tourism.

“Perhaps it wasn’t so much in the past, but Thai culture is now much more accepting of the LGBT community. In fact, we are quite an accepting culture.”

Part of TAT’s plans to target the LGBT community includes the setting up of gothaibefree.com – designed by an American company – a website designed to provide the LGBT community with gay-friendly restaurants, hotels and activities.

“We sent an invitation to high-end resorts in Phuket asking if they wanted to be involved. Many agreed, some didn’t. I think some of the hotels that have high Chinese occupancy might be afraid of this as they might not like it.”

Phuket will form part of a four-pronged attack, alongside Chiang Mai, Pattaya and Bangkok, to target the ‘pink dollar’ market and it is Mr Chanchai’s hope that as a result other provinces in Thailand – and perhaps those with less accepting views of the LGBT community – will follow suit.

Mr Chanchai added that as Phuket and the three other Thai cities were already so popular and marketable, it is now the TAT’s plan to shift focus.

“We’re trying to emphasise new areas so we will hold off mass marketing Phuket for a few years now in favour of promoting Phang Nga, Krabi and Chiang Rai for example. We’re trying to promote the areas that do not benefit so much from tourism.”

Mr Chanchai added that he hoped the few years of not promoting the island, at least aside from the Glow Phuket event, may give it a chance to rectify some of its problems.

“Phuket has changed a lot, even in the short time I have been here. It certainly has had success in numbers, with an almost 20 per cent increase every year for a few years now, but we still have a lot of problems; traffic, too much construction, lack of security for tourists and an airport that’s jammed,” says Mr Chanchai.

Phuket International Airport is currently being renovated, with an estimated reopening set for 2015. Mr Chanchai tells The Phuket News, however, when the airport does open he fears that the new capacity (12.5 million) may not be large enough to accommodate visitor numbers, which already stands at 12 million annual visitors.

“There’s problems with extending any further though because of issues with access areas and ownership of land,” he explains.

It is the TAT’s objective however to manage visitor numbers, especially the low-yield markets, he says.

“Zero-baht tourism is something we’re trying to stop, but it something that will happen on the Chinese side. From October 1, it is policy for the Chinese government and Chinese authorities to monitor where companies are taking the tourists and make sure they stick to the travel programme and not deviate to take them to particular shops to get commission.”

Deputy director of the Phuket office, Wannaprapa Suksomboon, will take up the position of director until a new appointment is made.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/gay-event-to-be-phuket%E2%80%99s-tat-chief%E2%80%99s-final-hurrah-42257.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-10-08

Glow ?? First the word "gay" was hijacked into being another word for homosexuals. Now is "glow" suddenly having its meaning changed by some group or another?

I've nothing against homosexual males or females, bi-sexual or transgender people. Each to there own. But, why keep applying different expressions.

• Like 2

The "PINK DOLLAR" I remember when the colour pink was for little girls, now it is another way of identifying the gay community. Turning Thailand into the hub of gayness is not going to impress the bargirls very much, they will be out of work. What next having a specific gay airline to transport the guys to and from Thailand?

I guess every country has it specific gay areas. Sydney Australia is known as the gay centre/capital of Australia if you come from NSW/Sydney you are usually labelled.

The "PINK DOLLAR" I remember when the colour pink was for little girls, now it is another way of identifying the gay community. Turning Thailand into the hub of gayness is not going to impress the bargirls very much, they will be out of work. What next having a specific gay airline to transport the guys to and from Thailand?

I guess every country has it specific gay areas. Sydney Australia is known as the gay centre/capital of Australia if you come from NSW/Sydney you are usually labelled.

The "Pink Dollar" is a marketing term that has been around for many years.

Gay people don't care to impress bargirls, but I can assure you that welcoming gay people will not hurt their business. Neither would a gay airline hurt any straight peoples' business in any way. It is just an additional group of tourists coming to Thailand, one which you may not have noticed before.

I can assure you that most of the people of Sydney are straight, and we do a lot of business with them. I'm in Australia often and never heard that anybody from Sydney would usually be labelled gay. You are making this up.

• Like 1

Gay people don't care to impress bargirls, but I can assure you that welcoming gay people will not hurt their business. Neither would a gay airline hurt any straight peoples' business in any way. It is just an additional group of tourists coming to Thailand, one which you may not have noticed before.

I can assure you that most of the people of Sydney are straight, and we do a lot of business with them. I'm in Australia often and never heard that anybody from Sydney would usually be labelled gay. You are making this up.

I'm from Melbourne and those from Sydney are generally referred to as such coming from the gay capital. Melbourne and Sydney have always had this friendly rivalry and mockery.

"Straight people's business" - ? Another new definition? Guess you mean people who are not homosexual, bi-sexual or transgender ?

The growth in PC driven "fashionable speak" is staggering.

Tolerance and respect for other human beings - regardless of gender, race,religion or sexual orientation, most certainly. PC propaganda using words with a new meaning to show you're a fashionista pc trendy type - forget it.

• Like 1

There's a lot of homophobia amongst the older white faring community here in Thailand. I don't know if its because they're still stuck in the same era as when they left what ever country they're from or if its something to do with thinking themselves super macho amidst all the bar girls...

Sorry, Charlie.

Phuket will NEVER have a gay pride event to rival Los Angeles, Vancouver or Sao Paulo.

Aim lower.

It will be super easy to beat Moscow and Kampala!

Pink, schmink, it's all GREEN to me ...

For people who promoting gay tourism offends, I suggest just get over it. You won't ever be required to act gay, trust me.

Edited by Jingthing

Glow ?? First the word "gay" was hijacked into being another word for homosexuals. Now is "glow" suddenly having its meaning changed by some group or another?

I've nothing against homosexual males or females, bi-sexual or transgender people. Each to there own. But, why keep applying different expressions.

Not to worry. I think the word glow is safe. You're right about gay ... the old usage is now antiquated. Thankfully, there is no shortage of words in the English language and there never will be. The word homosexual is fine as it is, but the objection is that it is way too clinical. There is nothing wrong with having multiple words for same sex sexuality and people. We have multiple words for many things in life. Also it is not at all uncommon for the same word to have radically different meanings depending on the CONTEXT. Why Uranian never caught on is anyone's guess.

Another point, quite often people who are opposed to gay civil rights will insist on using the clinical term homosexual and refuse to use the word gay. Some global politicians go so far as to assert that gay people don't even exist. So yes words do get politicized and the global adoption of the word GAY was indeed a step towards recognizing gay people as an identity group deserving of civil rights the same as all other identity groups. This global civil rights movement is still a work in progress (ask some Russians about that).

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

I'm from Melbourne and those from Sydney are generally referred to as such coming from the gay capital. Melbourne and Sydney have always had this friendly rivalry and mockery.

Nothing against friendly rivalry and mockery, but the way you brought it up earlier it sounded discriminating. I am glad you did not mean that, but again, I have never heard of it.

Maybe other Ozzies can chip in?

"Straight people's business" - ? Another new definition? Guess you mean people who are not homosexual, bi-sexual or transgender ?

The growth in PC driven "fashionable speak" is staggering.

Tolerance and respect for other human beings - regardless of gender, race,religion or sexual orientation, most certainly. PC propaganda using words with a new meaning to show you're a fashionista pc trendy type - forget it.

Not sure what you mean with PC speak. You referred to promoting gay business as being hurtful to the bargirls' business (and I implicitly assumed that most of their customers are straight men) and asked whether gay airlines will bring in gay people in the future (and up to now I am not aware of any airline that labels itself as a gay airline). I replied to that.

Nothing PC, just business facts.