A life full of riches! The story of a farang man who lives like a rural Thai

Boater

Mr. Wheeler graduated with first-class honours in Latin from London University before he turned his back on his career and decided to live a simple life in Thailand.

Well the questions not asked .....Is what was his career before? And Obviously he had a first class education soooooo ....does his family have money (probably so)? Does he have an inheritance (ie ...a little backup cushion)?

He is portrayed as some kind of urban hero.....to me ...more like a nut...but if he's happy and that's what he wants out of life ...so be it.

I think this is great. Happiness can be hard to come by, and he seems to have found something that works. More power to him. I know many people who have lots of money, and they can be miserable. Especially if poor health, alcohol or drug problems come into play. Some of those people would give anything to trade places with this guy.

A Life Full of Tattoos.. Who paid for the Artwork... maybe they are in Latin. This is a man who cannot bear the competition of modern life.. Yawn...how boring...! I am also extremely happy in my life.. I woke up with a beautiful young Thai girl this morning.. forgot her name.. I will drive her home in my new Fortuner shortly, and off out to play golf this afternoon... My cook will steam me a lovely tasty fish for my evening meal, which I will wash down with a nice Chablais.. But , then again.. maybe I need a change..cheesy.gif Like I need an extra hole in my head..!

Yeah...right. jerk.gif

By the way, there is no way he can get a work-permit to do this legally, asking for trouble to advertise it like this.

Your assuming after all the years he has been here that he has not been through the Residency/citizenship process.

It takes a very High IQ to go native.

on the basis that intellect is judged by the way that a person can adapt then this man seems to be extremely adaptive.

could someone also explain to me why the Thai Visa police are on his case together with the other negative posters.

What has He done to incur such malice?

Is there some thing that they know that I dont about this seemingly inoffensive eccentric?

Live and let live

"why the Thai Visa police are on his case"

Yes, I personally wouldn't be happy with that choice of life, but all the unhappy, frustrated bashers seemed to be on a slice & dice frenzy in this thread. And some of the comments seem to be more than a little strange.

Admiral somewhat....but doubt he is truly self sufficient.

Personally, I prefer to have the funds and means to provide for emergencies, health and such, especially for my kids in the unforeseen event.

"Admiral somewhat..." A character out of Gilbert and Sullivan??

Anyway, when the fresh meat is scarce the predators turn on one of their own. Maybe it's all the rain and a response to cabin fever.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

And even though he knows that having English language skills is an advantage in today’s society, he has never forced them to learn it, when they are at home he and his family speak Thai and Lao.

Therefore depriving his children of a possible advantage over others should they decide in the future that the "up with the larks working your fingers to the bone for <deleted> all baanok" lifestyle isn't really all it's cracked up to be and want to spread their wings and make a different lifestyle for themselves.

Seems a bit selfish to me. They guys chosen his way. Why deprive others of the chance of an alternative just because you want to live like a peasant?

• Like 2

What does PAM PAM mean ??

Marine call for help, like Mayday, but with no immediate danger of sinking.

That would be Pan Pan

Three calls of pan-pan is used to signify that there is an urgency on board a boat, ship, aircraft, or other vehicle but that, for the time being at least, there is no immediate danger to anyone's life or to the vessel itself. This is referred to as a state of urgency. This is distinct from a Mayday call, which means that there is imminent danger to life or to the continued viability of the vessel itself.

Thus "pan-pan" informs potential rescuers (including emergency services and other craft in the area) that a safety problem exists whereas "Mayday" will call upon them to drop all other activities and immediately initiate a rescue attempt.

It is satisfyingly doing a hard days graft if your body is up to it and if you can save for the future..

It would seem his children will learn life skills as well. They may choose to go a different way in the future but that's up to them. I think if he yad a lot more money he would do things a different way. .

ah i see so happiness is living a quiet rural lifestyle i am sure they have farms in england too and quite countryside places but somehow he had to choose to do this in a foreign country.

Easier to live off meager resources in Thailand. Plus, of what I know of farming in the west, it's considerably more industrilaized.

That said, not a life for me.

For someone who has opted for the quiet life , ( noble concept and one I endorse ) ,this chap is not shy of publicity .

Yes ,admired by some , but generally a source of amusement and often ridicule amongst most ...Thai and Foreigners alike.

• Like 1

For someone who has opted for the quiet life , ( noble concept and one I endorse ) ,this chap is not shy of publicity .

Yes ,admired by some , but generally a source of amusement and often ridicule amongst most ...Thai and Foreigners alike.

Only a source of ridicule for the insecure and ignorant i would think.

I admire the guy getting back to the real basics of life.

• Like 2

By the way, there is no way he can get a work-permit to do this legally, asking for trouble to advertise it like this.

Your assuming after all the years he has been here that he has not been through the Residency/citizenship process.

That takes much longer and requires a tax history amongst many other documents...

He is popular in Thailand with his new thought of living happiness, as easy and plain way of life. But sometimes I am wondering about his children, weather they also want to live in a new world like his Dad.....does he let them ....or force them to be like him. Amish way of life in Thailand. Children likes to see tv too, or play game or ice cream too.

His interview in various of Thai tv.

It crossed my mind that 100 baht a day may support him and his family. But how about the visas?

As you say how about the children. They may see it in their home but they have friends I am sure where they can also see the toys money can buy.

A great story maybe for him and his wife.

But it is not the ideal way to bring up children teach them the way of life but don't make it like it is the best way for them.

Edited by hellodolly

Too young for a retirement visa...Too poor for a O visa...and no work permit.

He is actually a criminal not yet deported.

You are correct, I say jail and deport him! Crime is crime, unless self sufficiency equals a get out of jail free card.

Foreigners are allowed to work in Thailand if you have a valid visa, a work permit and are employed with an occupation that does not violate the Alien Employment Act. If you are a foreigner and you intend to work in Thailand, you are subject to the Alien Employment Act, which requires you to have a work permit to be issued by the Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour, or unless it falls within an exception of the said Act.

According to Thai law, foreigners can work in the country but factors such as the national security, as well as the need of alien labour for the development of the country are being considered. Thai nationals are still to be given priority.

Listed below are the businesses that are prohibited to foreigners:

The Alien Business Law (N.E.C. Announcement 281). Business activities falling in categories A & B are generally closed to foreigners. Under category C you must obtain a permit prior to commencing business. Businesses outside these categories are exempt. The Ministry of Commerce will also help applications of non trading offices.

Category A:

1. Agriculture: rice farming; salt farming.

2. Commercial Business: Internal trade in local agriculture products, Land trade.

3. Service business: Accounting, farming animals, architecture, advertising, brokerage, auctioning, Barber, hair dressing & beautician. Building industry.

Category B.

1. Agriculture Business: orchids, cultivation, animal husbandry including silk worm raising, timbering, fishing.

2. Industrial & Handicraft: Rice milling, Flour making, sugar, alcohol & non alcohol drinks, Ice cream, Pharmaceutical manufacturing, cold storage, timber, gold, silver and inlaid stone, wood carving, lacquer-ware, match making, cement etc, Dynamiting rocks, Manufacturing garments & shoes, Printing, newspaper publishing, silk weaving or silk printing, manufacture of finished products in silk.

3. Commercial: all retailing not in category C. Or trading not in Category C, selling food an drinks, trading of antiques & fine arts.

4. Service Industry: Tour agency, Hotels except Hotel management, photography, laundering, dress making and service jobs.

5. Land, water & i.e. Transport.

Category C.

You are allowed to do the following:

Exporting, all wholesale trades not in A & B. retiling machinery, equipment & tools, selling food, beverages that promote tourism. Industrial & handicraft Business: manufacturing animal feeds, vegetable oil extraction, textile manufacturing, dyeing, fabric printing, glass ware manufacturing, making plates and bowls, stationary & printing paper, rock salt mining, mining.

• Like 2