A life full of riches! The story of a farang man who lives like a rural Thai

Boater

I've never understood how / why some people (especially in Thailand it seems) are proud to be a complete peasant, and extremely lazy as well. Do you guys call your parents up, and say, "hey mom! I get by one a simple $3/day. aren't you proud of me?" or something?

I just don't get it. Obviously I don't like people who brag about how much they have / make, but at the same time, it just seems stupid to brag about how little you have, as if it's an accomplishment or something.

Good luck to the chappy, he seems to be living a very happy and peaceful life without the trappings of modern society.

I for one can appreciate the satisfaction that fending and providing for yourself generates, however, 'some' of the trappings of modern society are surely a necessity.

Specifically 1st Class Health Care for ourselves and family and International Standards of Education for our future Children.

If I could not afford or secure these in Thailand I would move back home (UK). I hope this chap has such measures covered...

Edited by richard_smith237

A Life Full of Tattoos.. Who paid for the Artwork... maybe they are in Latin. This is a man who cannot bear the competition of modern life.. Yawn...how boring...! I am also extremely happy in my life.. I woke up with a beautiful young Thai girl this morning.. forgot her name.. I will drive her home in my new Fortuner shortly, and off out to play golf this afternoon... My cook will steam me a lovely tasty fish for my evening meal, which I will wash down with a nice Chablais.. But , then again.. maybe I need a change..cheesy.gif Like I need an extra hole in my head..!

W#anker!

I can guarantee i would rather spend an interesting evening with this man, learning something, any time, than a boring evening with you, learning nothing.[/quot

Not me tossed, a chick good food any day.

I kid you not--there will come a day--maybe in 2050,3075, whenever...that there will be a giant farang shanty town in Thailand (most likely Pattaya) like the mega slums in Pakistan and India. It starts with a few hundred homeless farangs in BKK and then boom! Mega slum. Maybe it will be after Western countries go to the dogs/zombie outbreak/etc. Whatever the case--this guy has the right idea. I lived that life for 2 years and it was the happiest time of my life. I love the Twilight zone aspect to it--about farangs embracing the simple life, while Thais chase after the latest iphone, and work like dogs to get it.

What a delightfully strange switcheroo.

Now, if they could just manufacture companoids for the farangs in the mega slum--I think they will be happy.

Oh dear.whistling.gif

Good luck to the chappy, he seems to be living a very happy and peaceful life without the trappings of modern society.

I for one can appreciate the satisfaction that fending and providing for yourself generates, however, 'some' of the trappings of modern society are surely a necessity.

Specifically 1st Class Health Care for ourselves and family and International Standards of Education for our future Children.

If I could not afford or secure these in Thailand I would move back home (UK). I hope this chap has such measures covered...

Same here . :)

I spoke to my wife about him before as we have a farm that I do work on when I time and I worry that maybe someone might say something about it,but she said he has taken a Thai passport a long time ago so he can work at what he likes...as he has said on Thai television he never intends to go back to the UK and he doesnt teach his children English because as far as he is concerned they will never need it......He seems like a very likeable guy...and he said he is not poor he has 47 rai to feed him and his family...and he said how many people in the UK have 47 rai....not many.and p.s he said he gets 400 baht a day for collecting ant eggs when he is not busy on the farm.

I can't believe that he wouldn't teach his children English because HE thinks they will never need it. How does he know what they'll need? Has he got their whole life planned out for them? If that statement is true I think the man's crazy..

• Like 1

Too young for a retirement visa...Too poor for a O visa...and no work permit.

He is actually a criminal not yet deported.

You are correct, I say jail and deport him! Crime is crime, unless self sufficiency equals a get out of jail free card.

Foreigners are allowed to work in Thailand if you have a valid visa, a work permit and are employed with an occupation that does not violate the Alien Employment Act. If you are a foreigner and you intend to work in Thailand, you are subject to the Alien Employment Act, which requires you to have a work permit to be issued by the Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour, or unless it falls within an exception of the said Act.

According to Thai law, foreigners can work in the country but factors such as the national security, as well as the need of alien labour for the development of the country are being considered. Thai nationals are still to be given priority.

Listed below are the businesses that are prohibited to foreigners:

The Alien Business Law (N.E.C. Announcement 281). Business activities falling in categories A & B are generally closed to foreigners. Under category C you must obtain a permit prior to commencing business. Businesses outside these categories are exempt. The Ministry of Commerce will also help applications of non trading offices.

Category A:

1. Agriculture: rice farming; salt farming.

2. Commercial Business: Internal trade in local agriculture products, Land trade.

3. Service business: Accounting, farming animals, architecture, advertising, brokerage, auctioning, Barber, hair dressing & beautician. Building industry.

Category B.

1. Agriculture Business: orchids, cultivation, animal husbandry including silk worm raising, timbering, fishing.

2. Industrial & Handicraft: Rice milling, Flour making, sugar, alcohol & non alcohol drinks, Ice cream, Pharmaceutical manufacturing, cold storage, timber, gold, silver and inlaid stone, wood carving, lacquer-ware, match making, cement etc, Dynamiting rocks, Manufacturing garments & shoes, Printing, newspaper publishing, silk weaving or silk printing, manufacture of finished products in silk.

3. Commercial: all retailing not in category C. Or trading not in Category C, selling food an drinks, trading of antiques & fine arts.

4. Service Industry: Tour agency, Hotels except Hotel management, photography, laundering, dress making and service jobs.

5. Land, water & i.e. Transport.

Category C.

You are allowed to do the following:

Exporting, all wholesale trades not in A & B. retiling machinery, equipment & tools, selling food, beverages that promote tourism. Industrial & handicraft Business: manufacturing animal feeds, vegetable oil extraction, textile manufacturing, dyeing, fabric printing, glass ware manufacturing, making plates and bowls, stationary & printing paper, rock salt mining, mining.

How long did you spend compiling this? Sad...........

This might be the letter of the law, but what he is doing is subsistence farming. This in no way threatens the livelihood of Thai people.

We at TV are the first to quibble when Immigration applies the letter of the law without looking at its intent. Now we are being a little hypocritical if you ask me.

Well the man linked in the OP has certainly taken himself to a very basic lifestyle, if he is enjoying it then all the good to him. A farmer does not achieve great deeds but there is pleasure and peace to be had in coming out to see your crops flourishing. A basic life without the distractions of over the top materialism can be good for thought and the soul. Although to be fair I could never see myself living such a lifestyle as the farang farmer.

Sorry to be a killjoy but he can't be going to "his" rice field at 6.00am because he is not a Thai citizen and can't own land. He is also not allowed to work without a work permit and working as an agricultural labourer is restricted to Thais, except under the MOUs with Burma, Cambodia and Laos which provide temporary exemption for citizens of those countries with valid work permits.

Before he gets carted off to jail, however, I hope he is also working illegally as a Latin teacher. Thais' knowledge of Latin is abominable.

• Like 1

ah i see so happiness is living a quiet rural lifestyle i am sure they have farms in england too and quite countryside places but somehow he had to choose to do this in a foreign country.

There are tens of thousands of farms in England, but every farmer I ever met had a few bob, it's not the peasant lifestyle of the Thai farmer. For many, farming is a very lucrative lifestyle, albeit dodgy at times.

But personally, I lived a long time in Rural England and almost every farmer I knew complained about money all the time but were minted. disregarding the few disasters to hit cattle farming (foot and mouth) etc.... most years they make a fortune. They all seem to have very expensive top quality John Deer equipment. A bit more well off than your typical Iron Buffalo driver.

They have the EU to thank for this, untold amounts of subsidies whether or not anything is produced.

ah i see so happiness is living a quiet rural lifestyle i am sure they have farms in england too and quite countryside places but somehow he had to choose to do this in a foreign country.

There are tens of thousands of farms in England, but every farmer I ever met had a few bob, it's not the peasant lifestyle of the Thai farmer. For many, farming is a very lucrative lifestyle, albeit dodgy at times.

But personally, I lived a long time in Rural England and almost every farmer I knew complained about money all the time but were minted. disregarding the few disasters to hit cattle farming (foot and mouth) etc.... most years they make a fortune. They all seem to have very expensive top quality John Deer equipment. A bit more well off than your typical Iron Buffalo driver.

They have the EU to thank for this, untold amounts of subsidies whether or not anything is produced.
Yes but the union is cutting down on a lot of these subsidies,like when they sent inspectors to countrys like Greece and Italy where cattle farmers where getting subsidies for farming cattle only to find out that most of them did not own any cattle.

And yes every so often one sees european farmers complaining on tv and in the background one sees a top of the line merc on the driveway.And the person in the op might like his basic lifestyle but thai farmers dont apparently when visiting Isaan last year i was amazed of all these so called poor farmers driving around in theyre new pick up trucks and motosays.Some of them also had state of the art farming equipment.

Edited by Kudel

Sorry to be a killjoy but he can't be going to "his" rice field at 6.00am because he is not a Thai citizen and can't own land. He is also not allowed to work without a work permit and working as an agricultural labourer is restricted to Thais, except under the MOUs with Burma, Cambodia and Laos which provide temporary exemption for citizens of those countries with valid work permits.

Before he gets carted off to jail, however, I hope he is also working illegally as a Latin teacher. Thais' knowledge of Latin is abominable.

Did you not read the post where a board members wife said he is a Thai citizen ?

Did you not read the post where a board members wife said he is a Thai citizen ?

Ok maybe the members wife is wrong.

No mention of Thai citizenship in his autobiography.

Martin Wheeler: A short autobiography.

It takes a very High IQ to go native.

on the basis that intellect is judged by the way that a person can adapt then this man seems to be extremely adaptive.

could someone also explain to me why the Thai Visa police are on his case together with the other negative posters.

What has He done to incur such malice?

Is there some thing that they know that I dont about this seemingly inoffensive eccentric?

Live and let live

Agree with you. Some posters houses may not be in order. I hope his family prospers.

Easy does it.

Edited by Benmart

I've never understood how / why some people (especially in Thailand it seems) are proud to be a complete peasant, and extremely lazy as well. Do you guys call your parents up, and say, "hey mom! I get by one a simple $3/day. aren't you proud of me?" or something?

I just don't get it. Obviously I don't like people who brag about how much they have / make, but at the same time, it just seems stupid to brag about how little you have, as if it's an accomplishment or something.

It doesn't really matter. The sun rises and sets and none of us has any control over life's terms.

Live and let live.

17 years here, Maybe took Thai nationality

Not possible unless he paid three years taxes at least, looks like he is a fugitive from Thai Laws like the French clown in Chinatown who made himself a spectacle as a celebrity falang noodle seller, has he been deported yet? Hes over 50 so could be on a marriage extension if he could scrape the 400k together. Not a lifestyle to be envied in my opinion but fascinating for the Thais to see a foreigner demeaning himself like this, (in their eyes).

Edited by sms747
  • Like 1

A Life Full of Tattoos.. Who paid for the Artwork... maybe they are in Latin. This is a man who cannot bear the competition of modern life.. Yawn...how boring...! I am also extremely happy in my life.. I woke up with a beautiful young Thai girl this morning.. forgot her name.. I will drive her home in my new Fortuner shortly, and off out to play golf this afternoon... My cook will steam me a lovely tasty fish for my evening meal, which I will wash down with a nice Chablais.. But , then again.. maybe I need a change..cheesy.gif Like I need an extra hole in my head..!

Methinks thou dost protest too much.......as does 99% of those that have posted here........why am I not surprised?

Perhaps there's a hint of envy here? I bet the fact that the Thais like this guy really grates doesn't it? As for those speculating on his visa status, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for him to be deported.......unlikely that it will happen. He is harming no one and due to his efforts learning Thai (and Isarn) for the last 12 years he is able to communicate with the locals on a level only dreamed of by the usual TV suspects.....

As for your rather sad quote -

'I woke up with a beautiful young Thai girl this morning.. forgot her name......'

You keep on paying for the prostitutes my friend if it makes you happy.......what a wonderful existence...........not.

I could say some of the comments on here are sad, pathetic is a better choice. I left Thailand 6 years ago for an Asian neighbour, tired of sad old men talking about booze and sex with girls young enough to be their grandaughters. I spent 20 years in the army in my youth and even in that environment, there was more to life than getting plastered and finding a quick jump.

Each to their own. I wouldn't choose his life, just as many wouldn't choose mine or yours. Leave the guy alone and live and let live. There's more to life than golf and 'partners' whose name you can't remember in the morning. Most in that category end up lonely, withered and die alone. Good luck to you.

Amen. U S Army 1968-1988. Living in LOS and facinating to see what you described. Staying sober one can see the pain and loneliness in some eyes, even though a 20ish girl is hanging on their arm. Inner peace and joy are more of a comfort to me in my senior years. One day at a time my friends.

• Like 2

Works as a labourer for less than 100 Baht a day?

I bet he could get the wealthy spinsters in the area to pay him 500 a day to do their housework for them, carry their basket to the market etc or driver.

I'll pay him ฿150 per day to clean up after me. I'll also pay his wife ฿150 per day to do all sorts of other thingsthumbsup.gifWorking for me they would treble their monthly income. (No visa or work permit included) Please PM me for further details of the position.

17 years here, Maybe took Thai nationality

Not possible unless he paid three years taxes at least, looks like he is a fugitive from Thai Laws like the French clown in Chinatown who made himself a spectacle as a celebrity falang noodle seller, has he been deported yet? Hes over 50 so could be on a marriage extension if he could scrape the 400k together. Not a lifestyle to be envied in my opinion but fascinating for the Thais to see a foreigner demeaning himself like this, (in their eyes).

Can he not go to his embassy for help?

I bet he could get the wealthy spinsters in the area to pay him 500 a day to do their housework for them, carry their basket to the market etc or driver.

I'll pay him ฿150 per day to clean up after me. I'll also pay his wife ฿150 per day to do all sorts of other thingsthumbsup.gifWorking for me they would treble their monthly income. (No visa or work permit included) Please PM me for further details of the position.

When they leave your place, send them to mine. LOL. I do wish them prosperity though.

• Like 1

When they leave your place, send them to mine. LOL. I do wish them prosperity though.

Ha ha. In fairness though, each to their own. Like another poster said, it must be sad/strange for the Thai's to see a white foreigner demeaning himself like that. Most of them probably pity him not realising he made this choice...

Edited by Paangjang