A life full of riches! The story of a farang man who lives like a rural Thai

Boater

It is satisfyingly doing a hard days graft if your body is up to it and if you can save for the future..

It would seem his children will learn life skills as well. They may choose to go a different way in the future but that's up to them. I think if he yad a lot more money he would do things a different way. .

He can not save for the future on his income.

Yes it is teaching his children his values and not allowing them to develop their own values.

In case of medical needs out the door go's the self sufficiency and hello government supported health care.

By the way, there is no way he can get a work-permit to do this legally, asking for trouble to advertise it like this.

Your assuming after all the years he has been here that he has not been through the Residency/citizenship process.

That takes much longer and requires a tax history amongst many other documents...

Actually married to a Thai national one can skip the permanent residency process and considering the guy was employed here at the beginning he may have met the criteria for citizenship.

To acquire Thai nationality – Citizenship

Aliens who wish to apply for Thai nationality under the Nationality Act B.E. 2508 (A.D. 1965) a person does NOT need to be 40 years or have spent 10 years in Thailand.

They must be of the age of majority, be of good character, be gainfully employed, have continuously lived in Thailand for not less than FIVE years and have knowledge of the Thai language. (Section 10)

It’s an advantage to be married to a Thai citizen and having children born in Thailand or having studied in a local university/college as an undergraduate.

The applicant must complete an application form and submit various required documents to the Criminal Investigation Division Group I, Subdivision 3, Police Department, Rama I Road, Bangkok.

The official fee is Baht 5,000. The processing takes 2 to 3 years.

http://www.thaivisa.com/acquiring-thai-nationality.html

Too young for a retirement visa...Too poor for a O visa...and no work permit.

He is actually a criminal not yet deported.

You are correct, I say jail and deport him! Crime is crime, unless self sufficiency equals a get out of jail free card.

Foreigners are allowed to work in Thailand if you have a valid visa, a work permit and are employed with an occupation that does not violate the Alien Employment Act. If you are a foreigner and you intend to work in Thailand, you are subject to the Alien Employment Act, which requires you to have a work permit to be issued by the Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour, or unless it falls within an exception of the said Act.

According to Thai law, foreigners can work in the country but factors such as the national security, as well as the need of alien labour for the development of the country are being considered. Thai nationals are still to be given priority.

Listed below are the businesses that are prohibited to foreigners:

The Alien Business Law (N.E.C. Announcement 281). Business activities falling in categories A & B are generally closed to foreigners. Under category C you must obtain a permit prior to commencing business. Businesses outside these categories are exempt. The Ministry of Commerce will also help applications of non trading offices.

Category A:

1. Agriculture: rice farming; salt farming.

2. Commercial Business: Internal trade in local agriculture products, Land trade.

3. Service business: Accounting, farming animals, architecture, advertising, brokerage, auctioning, Barber, hair dressing & beautician. Building industry.

Category B.

1. Agriculture Business: orchids, cultivation, animal husbandry including silk worm raising, timbering, fishing.

2. Industrial & Handicraft: Rice milling, Flour making, sugar, alcohol & non alcohol drinks, Ice cream, Pharmaceutical manufacturing, cold storage, timber, gold, silver and inlaid stone, wood carving, lacquer-ware, match making, cement etc, Dynamiting rocks, Manufacturing garments & shoes, Printing, newspaper publishing, silk weaving or silk printing, manufacture of finished products in silk.

3. Commercial: all retailing not in category C. Or trading not in Category C, selling food an drinks, trading of antiques & fine arts.

4. Service Industry: Tour agency, Hotels except Hotel management, photography, laundering, dress making and service jobs.

5. Land, water & i.e. Transport.

Category C.

You are allowed to do the following:

Exporting, all wholesale trades not in A & B. retiling machinery, equipment & tools, selling food, beverages that promote tourism. Industrial & handicraft Business: manufacturing animal feeds, vegetable oil extraction, textile manufacturing, dyeing, fabric printing, glass ware manufacturing, making plates and bowls, stationary & printing paper, rock salt mining, mining.

How long did you spend compiling this? Sad...........

Edited by somchai jones
  • Like 1

He's still an alien unless he contributes for a betterment in 'his' field. There're many ways for little improvements at any time given. Copying old styles of practice and adjust to slave labor is certainly against Nirvana.

Just watched more interviews. It is always the same sequence and questions, one that you hear and see everyday and everywhere here. He doesn't (want) to see that he's played and secretly laughed at. 47 Rai and no helping hands? I think nobody wants to work below 300 B a day on their farm, that's it. For sufficiency that a family can handle one needs ten percent of that size.

Supposedly educated and chose a third tier of farming practice raises eyebrows everywhere.

He doesn't look enlightened kind of thing. Actually he looks more worried, tries to cover with his wits, and seem to wait that someone takes him out of this. Well, this will not happen until he frees himself from the bondage he's placed himself.

He may get a few bucks for the many interviews he's making, but that doesn't last for long. What's after that?

I spoke to my wife about him before as we have a farm that I do work on when I time and I worry that maybe someone might say something about it,but she said he has taken a Thai passport a long time ago so he can work at what he likes...as he has said on Thai television he never intends to go back to the UK and he doesnt teach his children English because as far as he is concerned they will never need it......He seems like a very likeable guy...and he said he is not poor he has 47 rai to feed him and his family...and he said how many people in the UK have 47 rai....not many.and p.s he said he gets 400 baht a day for collecting ant eggs when he is not busy on the farm.

• Like 1

Admiral somewhat....but doubt he is truly self sufficient.

Personally, I prefer to have the funds and means to provide for emergencies, health and such, especially for my kids in the unforeseen event.

You start off with doubt, you end up, up the spout

He is popular in Thailand with his new thought of living happiness, as easy and plain way of life. But sometimes I am wondering about his children, weather they also want to live in a new world like his Dad.....does he let them ....or force them to be like him. Amish way of life in Thailand. Children likes to see tv too, or play game or ice cream too.

His interview in various of Thai tv.

Suddenly he's now forcing his kids not to watch tv or eat ice cream????

Where do you get all this stuff?

ah i see so happiness is living a quiet rural lifestyle i am sure they have farms in england too and quite countryside places but somehow he had to choose to do this in a foreign country.

Why on earth not? I'd sooner do it in Thailand to England anyway. In fact I'd sooner do most things in Thailand any day except watch Wimbledon.

What is wrong with this?

Why is this so strange a life choice?

I have a number of friends who do something similar, in various outlying areas up north.

I am sure Thailand is capable of accommodating a satisfyingly large number of lifestyle choices. . . with the exception perhaps of running a ski resort.

Its even a great place for some people of little imagination and enormous conceit to express their ignorance and bigotry on TV without repercussions.

I am not suggesting this to you personally, but a lot of posters here in general.

I would venture the more incredulous and scathing criticisms, come from minds without much happiness.

• Like 2

Too young for a retirement visa...Too poor for a O visa...and no work permit.

He is actually a criminal not yet deported.

17 years here, Maybe took Thai nationality

As far as speculation goes, I immediately thought he could have already or been attempting to get it by currying favour in the Royal Court, as a King's scheme proponent. I know those that have attempted similar.

Being here takes a bit of creativity to work out how to get citizenship if you really want it.

What does PAM PAM mean ??

Marine call for help, like Mayday, but with no immediate danger of sinking.

Sorry Fifty Two you are getting confused with a "PAN" transmission which is used within all the recognised sectors of radio-telephone procedures and relates to matters of urgency.

When a transmission is started with the words "PAN PAN PAN" it is expected that other users on the same frequency will give priority to the PAN caller (Not always though) until a time that the PAN situation is resolved!

Edited by n210mp

Hey ....Is he happy....That's his question..Not yours or mine....His!!

That being said ....I think he lost the plot long ago....up to him

If he's happy ...Its his life.

Me...I worked ...since I was 13 (Told them I was 15 so I could get a union card).....Worked as a butchers helper making more at 15 than a teacher at the time....Oh well ..Save your money...invest it wisely ....and enjoy life....Not many can say that....I did ...Life is good.....I'm happy

The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.

Do good anyway.

hey I'm a little drunk ...hope the above makes sense.

If it makes sense to you then it's your business not ours. Is it?

And a little drink helps makes sense of a whole lot of things . . .

Think I'll pour one before i read any more of this topic.

Its a very interesting post.

We cannot live in another person's head or heart

He has made several commitments and appears none of them are suitable for sitting on a fence.

• Like 1

ah i see so happiness is living a quiet rural lifestyle i am sure they have farms in england too and quite countryside places but somehow he had to choose to do this in a foreign country.

There are tens of thousands of farms in England, but every farmer I ever met had a few bob, it's not the peasant lifestyle of the Thai farmer. For many, farming is a very lucrative lifestyle, albeit dodgy at times.

But personally, I lived a long time in Rural England and almost every farmer I knew complained about money all the time but were minted. disregarding the few disasters to hit cattle farming (foot and mouth) etc.... most years they make a fortune. They all seem to have very expensive top quality John Deer equipment. A bit more well off than your typical Iron Buffalo driver.

almost certainly by being paid nonsensical amounts by our beloved EEC to grow NOTHING !!

Some Bod earlier in this thread mentioned that I had missed the point of the OP. facepalm.gif

Posting for no other reason than to clock up another post on the post counter seems to be as prevalent here as on other forums, where when I see a post from one of these poster counter posters it immediately makes me wish to not read any more of the thread

To a degree the poster counter poster gives the kiss of death to some of these otherwise very interesting threads.

Same as the Thai Visa police pondering whether the chap is legal or not, <deleted> who cares in a land of such widespread corruption, who cares!

Then you have these other negative type posters, just where do they get their kicks from, do they make their inane and sometimes malicious posts whilst languishing in their anonymity, propped up by amounts of alcohol to make comments that would not be made if face to face!

As far as the subject of the OP is concerned Its actually called "living the dream"

However please dont think that living the dream or going back into shall we say a more hands on way of getting a living is easy because it certainly is not.

This chap seems from the various reports and videos to be making a success of his chosen career, who are we to condemn or criticise him?

• Like 2

It takes a very High IQ to go native.

on the basis that intellect is judged by the way that a person can adapt then this man seems to be extremely adaptive.

could someone also explain to me why the Thai Visa police are on his case together with the other negative posters.

What has He done to incur such malice?

Is there some thing that they know that I dont about this seemingly inoffensive eccentric?

Live and let live

Stay around long enough and you will get to understand the imbeciles that congregate in TV will slag on everyone/anything at a moments notice..

Kudos to the man that decided to live HIS life the way HE wants to..

• Like 2

He is popular in Thailand with his new thought of living happiness, as easy and plain way of life. But sometimes I am wondering about his children, weather they also want to live in a new world like his Dad.....does he let them ....or force them to be like him. Amish way of life in Thailand. Children likes to see tv too, or play game or ice cream too.

His interview in various of Thai tv.

Suddenly he's now forcing his kids not to watch tv or eat ice cream????

Where do you get all this stuff?

I said I just "wondering " whether he ......

Edited by Kathy2014