So confusing - can someone help with specific case?

This is situation.

I'm 49 Years Old.

Married to Thai for 10+ years officially in Sweden / Ceremony only in Thailand.

Living in Sweden past 10+ years

Coming to Thailand in Nov. for 3 months (now)

return to Sweden approx. 1 month to pack container then return permanently.

No problem with 400/800K in bank (but last tried to make account couldn't)

Need to be able to come and go as I want with minimal hassle. (maybe 1-2 times / year?)

I have US and Swedish Passport - if that matters Also have 3 kids with Swedish/Thai/US citizenship if that matters.
Might need /want work permit - wife can be official business head, but not sure yet exactly what we will do. So need to have the possibility of WP.

When I read all the rules, tutorials etc I just get more confused than before.

Where When and Which should I do.

1st step for 3 month I think can just do visa run to Cambodia or something. But which options do I have for the rest of the future?

Hoping someone can explain clear and simple - I've seriously been reading this and other places for the past 2-3 years and still don't get it.

Once you are ready to stay you need to enter Thailand with a Non Imm O Visa

You will need to get your Marriage Certificate translated and verified by MOFA in Bangkok.

Open a bank account and deposit the money. 400,000 Baht

You then apply for a 12 month extension from Immigration.

You do this every year.

A Rough Guide.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Letter from your Thai Bank showing balance and up to date bank book.

OR.

If income from outside Thailand: Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.

If Income from Thailand: Statements showing Income Tax receipts.

Marriage Certificate. (Kor Ror 3)

Marriage Registry entry. (Kor Ror 2)

Wife's Tabbien Baan and ID Card.

Your Passport.

Copies of everything.

Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house.

A map showing the way to your house.

Passport size photos and 1,900 Baht fee.

Take your Wife to be interviewed.

One or two witnesses may be required.

You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Go back in a month and get the remainder.

You will also need a Multi Entry Re Entry Permit from Immigration . 3,800 Baht.

• Like 2

You will need to get your Marriage Certificate translated and verified by MOFA in Bangkok.

You do this every year.

A Rough Guide.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

OR.

If income from outside Thailand: Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.

Your Passport.

Copies of everything.

could the Non-O visa be a multi-entry?

If thinking of opening company using the US passport might have an advantage at some point in Thailand but you would have to compare tax implications. Should not be any issue opening bank account if with wife to verify you. Just go to next branch if one says no.

That is what the Re Entry Permit is for.

No need for a re-entry permit if the non O is multi.
I don't think the OP plans on traveling that much.

But what do you do when you don't want to leave and have to make a border run to get another entry. Border runs are not cheap.

Or having to make a costly trip out to get another visa that costs 5000 baht vs 1900 for an extension.

There is every need for a Re Entry Permit if he has a 12 Month Extension from Immigration.

Which is what the op was asking about.

natas, don't waste time trying to get a Multi Entry Non Imm O Visa.

You only need a single entry.

It will save you a lot of money and make your life a lot easier.

• Like 1

If you'll be 50 soon and have 800k, you might find it a lot easier to extend your stay for retirement than go the marriage route, which requires a lot more paperwork.

But he did say that he might need or want a work permit, which he would not be able to obtain with a retirement extension.

You do this every year.

A Rough Guide.

OR.

Your Passport.

Copies of everything.

Thanks a bunch! Just a little problem with the timeline.

The list of requirements and steps are for getting the Non O right? Where/When to do this in my case?

if I need to get marriage cert fixed in BKK and witnesses etc it sounds like I should be applying in BKK not in Sweden.

So do I assume correctly that you mean to do this the first time Im there on a normal tourist visa?

1. Come in on Tourist visa

2. Rough Guide steps in BKK

3. extend Tourist visa by border run because 30 day consideration still not long enough (need approx. 90 days total)

4. exit with Non-O when approved - then come back permanently?

See still confused. I'm not generally stupid about these things, I got my wife's permanent residency and citizenship here and visa for USA too. Never a problem.. but this time I feel so dumb...

If you'll be 50 soon and have 800k, you might find it a lot easier to extend your stay for retirement than go the marriage route, which requires a lot more paperwork.

But he did say that he might need or want a work permit, which he would not be able to obtain with a retirement extension.

True, I have thought of this, BUT I am not 50 and as of now maybe need to keep the work permit option available.

How about switching between the two? Any potential problems doing that?

There is every need for a Re Entry Permit if he has a 12 Month Extension from Immigration.

Which is what the op was asking about.

natas, don't waste time trying to get a Multi Entry Non Imm O Visa.

You only need a single entry.

It will save you a lot of money and make your life a lot easier.

Great, but seems others are confused also, maybe some definitions of terms is what is needed.

what exactly is "extension"

What exactly is "multi-entry"

What exactly is "Re-Entry Permit"

Or more like What are the differences between them.

they seem so self-explanatory yet people seem to not understand which is necessary or not in which situation

If thinking of opening company using the US passport might have an advantage at some point in Thailand but you would have to compare tax implications. Should not be any issue opening bank account if with wife to verify you. Just go to next branch if one says no.

Thanks for mentioning that, Just having the passport isn't an advantage if it's not the one with the visa stamped in it?

Any other reasons to chose the one (US) or the other (SWE) to enter on?

US has an agreement with Thailand that allows full ownership of company and you would have to be here as an American to use that provision.

The list provided by Lite Beer is for extension of stay inside Thailand - visa normally only requires marriage certificate/translation if not in Thai or English/copy and copy of wife ID card and home register.

1. Extensions are of your permitted to stay period - if for Thai wife the requirement is a non immigrant visa entry of 90 days which is then extended at immigration. There is a conversion process available to obtain visa entry in Thailand if you can so financials and other proof of being eligible for marriage extension of stay but not all places will do so might require trip to Bangkok - far better to obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa from a Thai Consulate prior to entry.

2. Multi entry means valid for however many trips into Thailand that you want to make during the validity of the visa or extension of stay.

3. Re-entry permit is an approval for return using current entry stay (you receive the same permitted to stay stamp you currently have again when you return before its expiration date) and can be single or multi entry.