Sticker Shock

CMfoodie

Hopefully the NGO crowd will be attracted by the new pricing and leave us in peace by the river...

Incredible, what is wrong with the NGO crowd?

I like to watch them eating at the original DUKES, it's really entertaining, they walk about speaking very loudly and laughing almost always, not sure why, all I know is they are really happy and never drunk, mean or obnoxious, they seem like good people, that sure like pizza!

That complaint about Duke's comes up periodically on ThaiVisa though those people are usually identified as being missionaries rather than NGO workers and after the initial salvo there usually are a multitude of follow-up posts explaining what horrible people missionaries are.

I've never come across them but I can see how a crowd of people, be they missionaries or NGOs, laughing and enjoying themselves can be annoying, especially if you're lonely and unhappy. It would almost seem like they're rubbing it in. Edited by Chiengmaijoe
  • Like 1

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, well worth passing on. A great reply, stating the obvious and letting the people that would probably never go there anyway know that their opinions aren't important. There are restaurants to fit all budgets in Chieng Mai so moaning about ones you can't afford or consider to be too expensive is futile. He knows what he's doing and is more than capable of getting it right every time.

He basically said, you run your mouth and I'll run my business. He may have been a bit blunt about it, but under the circumstances that's understandable. Nothing wrong with speaking your mind, and we're all adults here.

I wonder why he advertises here? I know I wouldn't.

A ''bit blunt''? Nothing understandable at all to reply as he did...totally unprofessional and downright disgusting...i and i figure many others have now vowed never to eat at any of his establishments again...

Was it a "Gerald Ratner moment"?

He possibly was 'Doing a Ratner"..but in the fickle world that restaurants are, i don't think that displaying such contempt for customers is a smart move.

It proved to be Ratners downfall in the end.....

Are you saying who ever this mysterious ranter is no longer is around? I hope it is not Dave at Dukes I enjoy his food there and at the river market.

• Like 2

Hopefully the NGO crowd will be attracted by the new pricing and leave us in peace by the river...

Incredible, what is wrong with the NGO crowd?

I like to watch them eating at the original DUKES, it's really entertaining, they walk about speaking very loudly and laughing almost always, not sure why, all I know is they are really happy and never drunk, mean or obnoxious, they seem like good people, that sure like pizza!

That complaint about Duke's comes up periodically on ThaiVisa though those people are usually identified as being missionaries rather than NGO workers and after the initial salvo there usually are a multitude of follow-up posts explaining what horrible people missionaries are.

I've never come across them but I can see how a crowd of people, be they missionaries or NGOs, laughing and enjoying themselves can be annoying, especially if you're lonely and unhappy. It would almost seem like they're rubbing it in.

"lonely and unhappy.'

You just described a lot of TV posters.

They seek to pull down to their level rather than try to reach up to it.

some how I don't think the business will suffer with out them.

• Like 2

IGetting upset when someone tells them to go is one thing...i couldn't give a rats, but when you are told to ''<deleted>> off" its a whole different ballgame.....

It's much the same thing but if you're really pissed off you use the more colourful option. Did you have a sheltered upbringing? In my first job after leaving college that was exactly the greeting I got every morning when I walked into the foreman's office. After a while, when they came to appreciate the fact that I knew what I was doing and that I could take the abuse, things changed. They still greeted me with the same words, but with a change in tone it almost became a term of affection.

Dave's was only directed at the idiots so I wasn't offended. Why were you? I very much doubt that Dave uses this term with the people that are polite, nice and friendly with him. At least you know where you stand with him. If, like me, he doesn't suffer fools then this is the wrong place for him to advertise and he's probably decided that it isn't worth the hassle. Plenty of praise, sure, but the idiots ARE persistent and annoying.

Much like most people, I don't use that expression very often, but on occasion it can be a very good way of telling people exactly how you feel. As I've said before, ask the local expats what they think about the people who write on TVCM. The answer is a seven letter word that begins with W and ends with s ( I didn't type the word because I knew it would upset you). Since I now post here then that includes me too. The only difference is, I know that it's true ..... but only sometimes.

Oh dear..tough guy alert!!!...

I think this quote below is very appropriate for you and as such i will practice as i post..;

"Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."smile.png

Oh dear..tough guy alert!!!...

I think this quote below is very appropriate for you and as such i will practice as i post..;

"Dont argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."smile.png

That's very perceptive. I was raised in a very tough district of a tough town, but outside of junior school I have never been involved in a physical confrontation. That's because, as you so clearly observed, I became mentally tough as opposed to physically tough, thanks to being both smart and articulate. A lethal combination.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

He's also being destructive, creating enemies. He doesn't need to do that, he's a successful businessman, that should say it all. Why he rants on here, I have no idea.

Out of curiousity, why do you rant on here, please can you tell me a restaurant where you would get the same value as the Dukes?

I like the Dukes and I like Dave, actually I'm hard pressed to find anywhere to eat in CM besides his place and say 5-10 others, but taste is personal and I eat at the establishments I can afford, if I can't I don't go on whining about the prices......

My sincerest apologies to Dave and The Dukes. I love The Dukes by the river and eat there frequently. I was just asking if anyone else had suffered sticker shock by this simple promotion. I just couldn't figure out how a plate of spaghetti and some sides could cost 645 baht! That's all....

Yeah, and you know what: I knew that. And most sane people reading your post knew that. But I also suspected that the response come midnight or so might well be a bit more erm, colorful. ;)

Not sure what your apologizing about.

Anyway, good topic. Didn't disappoint. wink.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

Because they perpetuate the idiots here.

Let's face it, this web site has become a haven for idiots and unhappy campers and those that are afraid to let people know who they are. Hiding and complaining behind what is ThaiVisa. I have already stopped advertising for The River Market but for some reason they think I am kidding and they still have us listed there. Soon I will cancel The Duke's because the demographic of the old male dominated customer is no longer. I've said it to them before and I will say it again. "Wake UP ThaiVisa."

George, Barry, I feel for you.

While I agree that there are many creepy characters on this site, my perception has been that a large number of resturant threads are loaded with praise and worship of The Dukes , yet Dave seems to focus on the critiques and gets all bent out of shape... this thread is an example, people are simply asking about the promotion posters.... he hasn't answered or clarified that. Dukes has grown to be big player here, Dave seems to be a winey lil guy, ... oh well.

People are simply asking about..... he hasn't answered..?

Starting with the OP and half of the first dozen or so replies, how can you say that? If the OP had politely asked something along the lines of " I hope you don't mind Dave, but I came across a sticker for your place and I don't quite understand, could you explain this for me....." Then I'm sure his answer would have been quite different. The OPs post was mocking and infantile. Some of the guys here know nothing about politeness or courtesy and then, surprise , surprise get all upset when someone tells them were to go. Boohoo.

IGetting upset when someone tells them to go is one thing...i couldn't give a rats, but when you are told to ''<deleted>> off" its a whole different ballgame.....

Dave is not the problem, so let us ask him this;

Dave please clarify the promotion, portion sizes, value of the regular price etc?

Why don't you ask him how much the rent is how much the payroll is and let us not forget the cost of equipment and utilities.

• Like 1

Come on guys you've got to let it go,vote with your feet.If the khao soi or noodles where to expensive for your taste you wouldn't go back,OK,but you would not get on here and vent.I've never met the proprietor or eaten in his establishments but if I got this sort of ANONYMOUS derision I'd tell you to <deleted> off to.

Seems a natural response to me.

• Like 2

To eat a hamburger, or not to eat a hamburger! That is the question...

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The slings and arrows of outrageous hunger Or to take order a la carte against a sea of troubles And by ordering such comfort food end them. To die, to sleep-- ... --and by a sleep to say we start The heartburn, and the thousand natural shocks That flesh is heir to. 'Tis a consummation Devoutly to be wished.

If there was ever an argument for euthanasia then I'd be sure to cite the Chiang Mai forum on Thai Visa as a fine example of why it would be a good thing

Discuss biggrin.png

Just this afternoon I saw an old Parkinson interview with Frankie Howard in which he asked him if he'd ever, like Tony Hancock, contemplated suicide. He said "no,but I have contemplated murder on a few occasions". I'm with him on that one.
  • Like 1

Dave please clarify the promotion, portion sizes, value of the regular price etc?

It's not like that, simply put when you have a promotion you traditionally and historically have some savings, so we take the menu price of the items in the promotion (which are public knowledge from the menu), then we see if there's a deal to be had, it's standard every restaurant has a "Special of the day or week" nothing new here, nor is my comment in any way devious or derogatory.

Most people seemed to be confused on the promotion, so if I had the menu (which I don't), I could work it out and post it, I believe it's rather basic arithmetic.....

i've attached some flyer type promotional material to clarify.

post-23543-0-46029100-1381724526_thumb.j

post-23543-0-62960000-1381724544_thumb.j

post-23543-0-07802600-1381724554_thumb.j

post-23543-0-38695000-1381724566_thumb.j

It's not like that, simply put when you have a promotion you traditionally and historically have some savings, so we take the menu price of the items in the promotion (which are public knowledge from the menu), then we see if there's a deal to be had, it's standard every restaurant has a "Special of the day or week" nothing new here, nor is my comment in any way devious or derogatory.

Most people seemed to be confused on the promotion, so if I had the menu (which I don't), I could work it out and post it, I believe it's rather basic arithmetic.....

I don't understand where you are coming from.

The two for the price of one pretty well tells you what you are saving the other two are just like Dave's poster. They give a price and do not break it down into what it would cost you individually.

Admittedly you have to think a little bit to understand the poster but it is not that difficult.

When you walk into the Dukes on the river there is a chalk board there with daily specials none of them say what the saving is and yet no one complains about it. They simply look at the menu and make the decision for them selves. Why don't people try it with the special poster look at the menu and make up your own mind. When I get out there and I will so I can see a movie and eat at Dukes in the same building that is what I will do.

As for being shocked if the food is all terrible I will be shocked. But I don't think the Mods would allow that kind of post and I know for 100% sure Dave would not allow the food to be that bad. If I had a problem it would be handled right there. Not on the Thai Visa. Dave has absolutely no problems with face to face complaints. He uses them if appropriate to improve his service and quality.

• Like 1

I don't understand where you are coming from.

The two for the price of one pretty well tells you what you are saving the other two are just like Dave's poster. They give a price and do not break it down into what it would cost you individually.

Admittedly you have to think a little bit to understand the poster but it is not that difficult.

Okay, done I will go there anyway!

Order off the menu (Like Always).

Order stuff to take home with me (Like Always).

Get served by staff who are usually friendly, always in clean uniforms, speak English and if they can't someone there will.

Order from Meals on Wheels (Like Always).

None of these are in the least relevent to a customer or potential customer trying to clarify a leaflet which is at the least ambiguous.

What is relevant is the obvious contempt the owner now has to the people of ChiangMai who were and possibly will not be customers in the future. It may be we are no longer the demographic he wants but that does not excuse his offensive and profane language on this forum.

A bit dramatic with a hint of delusions of grandeur...... "The people of ChiangMai". First of all, I know this might be hard to believe but TVCM is not read by everyone in this fair city. It is read by a tiny fraction of a minority group of mostly expats. Secondly the insult wasn't aimed at everyone here. Like me, and LOTS of others he has contempt for the idiots on Thaivisa. I read his post before it was deleted and I wasn't insulted because I knew it wasn't directed at me, it was directed at the idiots who's main pleasure in their small, boring lives is to come on here and deliberately annoy and insult people.Unfortunately, Dave reacts in much the same way as these guys want him to. He gets pissed off and tells these people exactly what he thinks of them, and to be fair , most people would agree with that sentiment. So who's wrong, the people who purposely set out to annoy, or the guy who reacts?

As regards to the second point you made regarding his business. I'd like to say 'I'm sorry to disappoint', but I'm not because what I'm about to say will piss off the idiots here. The truth is, his reaction will have no effect on his business whatsoever. First of all, the people that his insult was aimed at are people who either can't afford to go there, don't like his food, prices, or Dave himself (you can't please everyone) so he hasn't lost Their custom. The people who currently go there, wil continue to do so because they probably agree with him and obviously like his places. As regards to the other people here that weren't customers, some of them have got to be intrigued enough to go and see what all the fuss is about, right?

If there is a loser here it is probably your beloved Thaivisa because there is a good chance that Dave will say 'enough is enough' and cancel his ad. What was the song? "You always hurt the one you love"...............

CMJ, while I agree with most of what you have written above, I must take exception with one bit, as outlined in red.

I do think that there will be a noted difference in his business. I think he will get more customers now , knowing that they will not have to be dining with those aboard who apparently have crotch rickets of the brain and throat.

.... and to Dave ... hope you are over run with new clients.

thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Is that the one called Coachs Pizza near the Canal Road never tried it but its close by to where I live.

Yes, the ribs are 100% awesome. The guy bought his recipe from some famous place back in the states, and brought it here. It's the one place in Thailand I've gone to eat farang food where it was actually cause the food was great, not just because I wanted a break from Thai food. Let me say it this way, if they were in the States, they would be very successful.

The pizza is good, but not out of this world good.

I should add that it is under new ownership, but as far as I can tell, nothing has changed as far as how the food is prepared.

• Like 1

Is that the one called Coachs Pizza near the Canal Road never tried it but its close by to where I live.

Yes, the ribs are 100% awesome. The guy bought his recipe from some famous place back in the states, and brought it here. It's the one place in Thailand I've gone to eat farang food where it was actually cause the food was great, not just because I wanted a break from Thai food. Let me say it this way, if they were in the States, they would be very successful.

I should add that it is under new ownership, but as far as I can tell, nothing has changed as far as how the food is prepared.

I wanna try it, how do I get there, or what is it near?

I wanna try it, how do I get there, or what is it near?

Coach's Pizza - Chiang Mai

Ratchapruek Road, Hang Dong, Chiang Mai, 50230

Tel: 053 839 059

Coach's is on Night Safari/ Royal Flora Road, /// If you're leaving the night safari, go through the first traffic light, it's about 200 meters past on your left. -- or , if you're travelling Canal Road from CMU, come to the Night Safari Traffic Light, take a left, 200 meters on your left.

--

• Like 1