Farang-Thai road accident and discrimination

dotpoom

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't expect the insurance assessor to submit his report based on facts. I once had a motorbike drive into my parked car, and my own insurance guy suggested I claim responsibility for the accident. They figure farangs are more able to take the immediate hit, but it gets complicated if the other party takes it further once guilt has been established. Good luck.

• Like 1

One of my falang office colleagues was hit by a Thai motorcycle rider in front of the office with 3 of our security guards watching. My falang colleague is a lawyer and very aware of protocol with anything documented. He was in the far lane with turn indicator on and just starting to turn across the oncoming lane. The Thai motorcycle rider was approaching from behind and decided to gun it and try and pass in front of my colleague in the oncoming traffic lane. The motorcycle bounced off of his right front fender and the rider and bike lost balance and came to a crashing halt in 2 places further down the oncoming lane. The police were called and an ambulance took the rider to the hospital. The rider had a broken wrist and some road rash.

My colleague was brought to the cop shop and he gave his statement. One of our security guards and an HR staffer also went and the cops agreed it was the riders fault.

Not so. A week later, my colleague is called to the cop shop again. The rider insists it was the falangs fault. The cops say, the rider is very poor, falang pay hospital bill and lost wages now that rider is at home recovering. My colleague insists that all agreed already that it was clearly the riders' fault and nothing to do with the rider's poverty.

The HR staffer takes him aside and says, this will not go away and will get worse unless it is closed out today. My colleague says, he will pay no money for this! The HR staffer tells the police, our company will give Bht 1,000 and my colleague will agree to 50/50 fault.

Case Closed!

• Like 2

Waiting for someone on the forum to ask .." what is the law" , like it makes any difference here, in this or any other case, they do what they want and 9 times out of ten the ferang will be the one who loses face and has to pay regardless of facts or fault.

Accept it, it is what it is, I'm not saying its right but it is what WILL happen most of the time.

As for "not ready to talk with Police", they are Nationals and resident here, good chance they are not going anywhere, you are and always will be an ALIEN.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

So this was a dual carriage way and you were crossing into the lane going into the opposite direction when a bike hit you. Was she coming from the correct direction ?

Just don't really get what has happened here.

But the fact that she has no license and no helmet does not make her in the wrong automatically she could be right but I need to know more. But remember this is Thailand often the bike is protected against the car.

• Like 2

But remember this is Thailand often the bike is protected against the car.

True also in Belgium and other European countries (there it is a law providing systematic coverage for the physical damage to the biker, not the material damage). thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

But remember this is Thailand often the bike is protected against the car.

True also in Belgium and other European countries (there it is a law providing systematic coverage for the physical damage to the biker, not the material damage). thumbsup.gif

Actually I am not sure what to make of this as I drive both a car and a bike. I see some cars do pretty stupid things then I think when I am on my bike good thing the protection. Then I drive my car and see bikes doing stupid things and I think hope I don't hit one. I do have a dash cam but that is only limited protection.

Anyway the fact that the richer party pays for the poor also happens among Thais its not unusual for the party with the right insurance to take the hit. Its not only farangs who get done in. But then to ask for payment that is not reimbursed by insurance for missed working days is over the top.

Edited by robblok

I was hit by a motorcycle who tried to undertake me as i was turning left into my service station , of course "it was my fault and money was wanted" i just said no ,in the end after about an hour ,my insurance guy had not turned up ,but my wife had "you dont want to get on the wrong side of her" anyway long story short ,i ended paying for my own repairs , i got rid of my insurance company and too get rid of the girs ,who by now i felt sorry for ,i gave them 1000 baht. waste of time here relying on anyone from the police to the insurance ,sort it out yourself. but stand your ground.

• Like 2

Yes what you are saying mirrors what I have heard about bikes and cars and it also goes for Thais.. not a anti farang thing.

Anyway some of those idiots on bikes drive crazy, i hate the ones with no taillights. I drive a bike too and there are plenty of idiot car drivers too. Actually still the majority drives ok. Just more idiots then back home.

I don´t mind the cars at all in Thailand. Some drive not bad at all and some are real lthreats. But the risk of a deadly accident doesn´t scare me a lot when i think of cars here. So far i had two minor accidents with my cars, both were handled from the insurance guy in my favour. One guy rammed my parked car and some gal busy talking on her phone hit me in stop and go traffic. No problems and everything fair.

The bikers really worry me, there´s nothing you can do to avoid them, especially the so called dhek vään (young <deleted> with tuned loud bikes, no helmet and no brain driving around like lunatics while trying to impress the gals). Or whole families one on bike, 4 persons without a helmet carrying a little baby perfoming dangerous manouvers facepalm.gif I pray everytime i go for a ride that i will not kill one of them........even if it wouldn´t be my fault, i dunno how i would feel afterwards.

Edited by I knew this would happen

I got involved in a minor accident in 2011 where I was hit by a minibus who was trying to squeeze his way between mine and another car. I was stationary and had been for a minute when he hit me. The result was a four foot long scraping on the minibus from when he tried to squeeze by.

The driver of the minibus called the police to the scene, and the chaos that followed caused the attention of other drivers. Basically, the driver of the minibus wanted money. A lot of money. I got the impression others got interested when they heard the amounts being discussed, and for this reason another driver came forward and claimed I had hit his car. He also wanted money. Soon the police officers decided to have a go; if they're getting money, we're having some as well!

I will not go into detail of the ugly and unfortunate events that followed (though sdk here on TV actually knows the details), but this event triggered a decision to fly my family out of Thailand (which they did within 48 hours), close my business and sell my two houses and leave Thailand. Which I did soon after my business was closed.

I have always wondered what triggers someone to lie, cheat, bend the rules or even use criminal actions to extort money from others, and it's clear that jealousy is a huge factor. In my case, being a farang and driving a new BMW 5-series probably didn't help. In Europe, youngsters are getting robbed of their mobile phones by school kid bullies. Thailand is no different, only here it's grown ups doing the bullying..

Really? That sounds horrible, it sounds like LOS, but still unbelieveable.sick.gif

Got a bimmer too, maybe i´ll switch to a rusty pickup with no insurance to avoid trouble.

• Like 2

Transportation cost are very reasonable nation wide, I pay 200 baht for a round trip to the local hospital, 14 kilometers away, 750 baht for a 120 kilometer monthly shopping round trip to Nakhon Sawan.

So your solution to the problem is to hop on a minibus...?

Right...

• Like 1

The OP would have been in a much stronger position if he had a dashcam!

Indeed - A Dash Cam is the way to go. I have one installed in both my Wife's and My car for this very purpose.

The Police here tend to be more sympathetic to the poorer party, thus, between a bike rider and car driver the Police are likely to try and favour the rider. However, the Police also favour the path of least resistance.

Op: Ultimately your insurance will take care of everything - You've no need to rush or worry too much. It will take more than a month or so to fix your car anyway.

If you have signed something from your Insurance guy at the scene just double check to either signed a) not your fault or B) you accept only partial blame 50:50.

Usually: 50:50 acceptance of blame is the quickest way of dealing with things and the Police will prefer that, you both pay a small fine (i.e. 500 baht) and thats it.

I got involved in a minor accident in 2011 where I was hit by a minibus who was trying to squeeze his way between mine and another car. I was stationary and had been for a minute when he hit me. The result was a four foot long scraping on the minibus from when he tried to squeeze by.

The driver of the minibus called the police to the scene, and the chaos that followed caused the attention of other drivers. Basically, the driver of the minibus wanted money. A lot of money. I got the impression others got interested when they heard the amounts being discussed, and for this reason another driver came forward and claimed I had hit his car. He also wanted money. Soon the police officers decided to have a go; if they're getting money, we're having some as well!

I will not go into detail of the ugly and unfortunate events that followed (though sdk here on TV actually knows the details), but this event triggered a decision to fly my family out of Thailand (which they did within 48 hours), close my business and sell my two houses and leave Thailand. Which I did soon after my business was closed.

I have always wondered what triggers someone to lie, cheat, bend the rules or even use criminal actions to extort money from others, and it's clear that jealousy is a huge factor. In my case, being a farang and driving a new BMW 5-series probably didn't help. In Europe, youngsters are getting robbed of their mobile phones by school kid bullies. Thailand is no different, only here it's grown ups doing the bullying..

And you let them !!! ???

And you let them !!! ???

Was this somewhere like Samui ?

The reason I ask is that the law and locals are a different breed on some of the Islands - the mob-greed mentality is still readily visible.

In areas such as Bangkok things are handled in a much fairer manner (with a handful of newsworthy exceptions).

• Like 2

And you let them !!! ???

Was this somewhere like Samui ?

The reason I ask is that the law and locals are a different breed on some of the Islands - the mob-greed mentality is still readily visible.

In areas such as Bangkok things are handled in a much fairer manner (with a handful of newsworthy exceptions).

Middle of Bangkok.

Firstly, I'm surprised you don't know the way things work here after living here for 11 years. Also, you need your wife to do the talking?

This is not a Thai farang issue. When an accident happens the 2 parties size each other up. It is to do with how much 'power' you have. Granted, at first most Thais will see a foreigner, especially white one, and think they know nothing/nobody, especially if they are in Pattaya or tourist area. These stupid farang can't even speak the language - of course they won't know 'the law' or the procedure. I wouldn't be surprised if the OP didn't know what 'Boon Khun' is, for example.

I've had accidents here - one time the pick up was on the wrong side of the road and had a head on with me. As I was limping about with a broken foot I heard them say that I was at fault. What to do? Boon Khun time! I called someone and they came and I ended up getting 1 months salary compensation, my car fixed and hospital costs. The guy was also fined 400 baht.

But, my car took 3 months to get fixed and the insurance didn't pay for my rented car so what now? Sue the pricks. A police friend was going to help. Delay - my friend became senator of the region so wait a month until he's in office. Delay, Taxsin and his government is booted out. Plan 2 - settle for half the money by bribing someone in the insurance company.

Usually the bigger vehicle pays. It has all to do with positioning on the social ladder. Thais look at the woman that foreigners are with and know instantly if the farang could have any power.

I hear people talking about having a get out of jail card. I have used these before and can't stress the importance of getting to 'know' people here if you plan on living happily for years. Learn the language, have Thai friends, join clubs etc.

I can't believe that some people leave the country because another car hits theirs.

I do have a buddy who was hit from behind by an off duty soldier. The soldier attacked him with a machete as he lost face when he approached my friend's car and said it was his fault and tried to grab his keys. My mate grabbed his hand and would give them. He said if he hadn't been a black belt in karate and ex army, he'd have been dead as the machete weilder was trying to kill him. Warning - never toot your horn to show someone is in the wrong. It could cost you your life. 3 months ago In khon kaen central street a man was shot dead for hooting his horn. I have a friend who's son's friend was shot in the head for tooting his horn.

Integrate, learn the language, learn the ways to get out of trouble. Don't think it of them and us. I can't emphasize how important it is to learn the language - how the hell are you going to know what's going on if you don't?

My Wif e often toots the horn she isnt dead yet.........................please!!!

• Like 1

I can't believe that some people leave the country because another car hits theirs.

Me neither. Let me know if you hear of someone who actually left because of this.

Didn't you post that the event "triggered" you and your family to up and leave the country? I interpreted this to mean you left because the mini-bus hit scraped your car (probably the same as how Neeranam interpreted it). Maybe the whole "mysteriousness" of your post is what caused the confusion....

• Like 2