Farang-Thai road accident and discrimination

dotpoom

My experience was similar.

While traveling down a dirt road at a low rate of speed, less than 15 KPH, I came to a small curve.

Saw a bike coming fast, cutting the corner on my side of the road.

I pulled to the extreme left and stopped.

He panicked, locked up the front and rear brakes on his bike and slammed into me.

No damage to me or my bike, but he split his hand open between the thumb and forefinger.

I asked if he was o.k.. He held out his hand to show me and then took off fast on his bike.

I tried to follow, thinking he was going to the local clinic for first aid, but I lost him and he was not at the clinic when I arrived.

Long story short..his wife shows up at my village and leaves a message that I need to give him a large sum of money since he will not be able to work for a while!

My wife, knowing I was upset ,would not let me join her when she went to the other persons house to talk to them.

When she returned, she told me that she only had to pay them half of what they wanted and was happy about it!

Foot note: When my wife went to pay him, he told her that he lied at the hospital and told them that he hurt his hand by dropping a piece of wood on it!

Maybe to cover his rear since he had no, licence, registration ,or insurance???

I told her that he was in the wrong and that we should not pay anything.

She corrected me.

In Thailand everyone knows accidents are always the Farang's fault.

Even the police believe that if you had stayed in your own country and not come to Thailand the accident would not have happened!

Since then I have heard the same statement from other Thais, one of them was a police officer.

Better to negotiate and pay then go to court and pay more I guess!

Urban myth,good to see your wife spending your money wisely.I have heard,somebody told me,what if.You were suckered and seem proud of it

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two years ago on a wet day, coming out of a soi and crossing a 2 lane road to turn right. The right-to-left lane was gridlocked and the two cars to my right stopped to let me edge out. I did so slowly and stopped to wait for a chance to turn into the opposite lane. It was then I saw a motorcyclist barrelling down between the two cars that had stopped for me and he lost control. He came off and the motorbike slid and ended up wedged under my driver's door. Right in front of me on the opposite side of the road was a cop who actually saw it happen. He stopped the traffic on the other side to let me come out - after we had yanked the bike out from under the car.

The motorcyclist was ok. Just a bit shaken and bruised. He knew he was in the wrong and was consistently saying sorry and wai-ing me. The cop wasn't interested and just started making a report. The motorcyclist was in his 50s and earning his living as a messenger. He had a helmet on. I actually felt sorry for him and bought him a drink from the 7-11 and sat and chatted to him whilst waiting for my insurance rep to arrive.

Insurance chap came. Motorcycle was dinged a little. My car (a BMW) had a thump and deep gouges and I knew this would cost several thousand to fix up. Insurance chap spoke to the police officer who said yes...the motorcyclist was wrong, I was in the right but he wouldn't put that in his report. He 'suggested' that because I had a beemer and full insurance that I take a knock on the head for this. I called my broker who spoke to the insurance company. They said given the amount of time and paperwork etc that I should agree to this. They will cover me and the bike and I might lose my no-claims bonus next time round. I agreed. All settled amicably. The insurance company took care of it all and my premium bounced up Bht1,000 in the following year.

Speaking to my Thai friends after this, one common answer came through - regardless of who is right or wrong - a motorbike in Thailand is never at fault and you just let your insurance company sort it out. Something about you should always give way to motorbikes.

The repairs to my car came to Bht34,000 or something plus the cost of the repairs to the bike..I have no idea what that was.

About a month later, there was a knock on the door from my condo security. He said there was a man downstairs wanting to speak to me. Went down and it was the motorcyclist. He had a bottle of 100 Pipers for me as a token of thanks for taking the blame. He still had a job and was being a lot more careful on the roads.

So maybe there is such a thing as goodwill karma wai2.gif

555555.The first rule of bike riding is give way to everything.If you don't ride by this rule in any country you will soon be down.

You have lived here 11 years, and you still refer to yourself as "farang".

On the one hand you complain about being discriminated for being the "other".

And yet, you happily call yourself "farang".

One thing is for sure, if you cant even stop calling yourself "farang" (an object, rather than a human being), how on earth are you going to expect Thais will view you in another way??

The term "farang" doesn't denote an object, it is a mass noun used to identify a person of foreign ancestry the same way we refer to people being african americans.

How would you be able to stop calling yourself an "african american" in case you live in Asia for x number of years...? Are you saying the correct term should be "african american asian".

Brings to mind Tiger Woods home-made definition of himself: "Cablinasian". Apparently he made that up from being Caucasian, Black, American, Native American Indian and Asian or something in that region.

First of all, Thais do not view a "white person", the way most of the rest of us view race.

We, well most of us at least, think, underneath the skin, the main factor that decide how we behave, is based on cultural, national heritage and individuality, NOT primarily skin color (even though, there are minor differences between races).

But for a Thai, skin color is THE most important thing that decides how we behave, much more important than nationality, or culture. This is also the reason, why Thais can never, even for a second, get passed the fact that you have white skin, and that is the most important thing for a Thai to point out.

Apart from accepting that I can't possibly know what a Thai person think (other than the overwhelming Thai majority of my own family whom I can ask) I dont agree with your idea that skin colour is THE most important thing. I employed a Thai national who grew up in Europe and didn't speak a word of Thai. Every single person who met him initially believed he spoke Thai because of his appearance. Despite his apparent Thai appearance, he was referred to as farang wherever he went when people realised he was a foreigner.

My perception is that Thais use the farang to denote a foreigner not someone with white skin.

Wait that thai person grew up in europe so suffice to say he spoke with a european accent correct?

Honestly non western foreigners like africans, japanese, koreans, chinese aren't ever referred to as farang. When someone says farang he thinks blond hair and blue eyes he won't think of a japanese or a negro.

Meanwhile in other parts of the world like the US. Farangs met a farang that grew up in HK so he didn't really speak english at all but they all spoke to him in english and assumed this farang that grew up in HK could speak english as good as them.

Let me start by saying this. I've been involved in 3 accidents and everytimes, i've been cleared of everything. I'll try to answer as best as I can and my apologize for the mistakes as my main language ain't English. Still, I'll take the time to answer to your questions and, in the eventuality it happens again, you'll know what to do.

There are things you did pretty well. The first one is that you haven't ran away from the scene. The second is that you know the Thai road safety code. The third good thing is that you have all the papers as required by the authority to drive in the kingdom.

There are 2 things you should have done not to be involved in the "farang is wrong" circle. The first one is to get a lawyer right before you and the insurance officer sign the papers at the police station to make sure that:

1- they wrote the report properly

2- the insurance officer wrote his repport properly

Insurances companies in Thailand have a bad reputation when it comes to pay for a car accident and this is caused by their wrong way to write their report. Exemple: they are going to write in Thai that you have for 20000 BAHT in damage on your vehicule but they are going to avoid writing that "it may cost more for unknown damages" the car accident may have caused, or, in the case the lady sue you, to pay for her damages. This said, this is one of the problem you may face pretty soon.

The second thing would have been to take evidence by yourself on the scene. You could have taken photos, videos and witness testifying about what happened over there. Usually, Thai people are not lying when the event just occured. They tend to lie more once they gossip about it with friends and family to make the farang looks "bad".

One more suggestion would be to install a dashcam. Don't forget that we are guests here and we need to do our own safety.

I'm lucky as I have a high rank policeman in my family who likes to teach me about the laws and how to do things in Thailand. I would tell you that it is not about not being welcome here, but all about money. Thais act this way towards Thais and so they act this way too towards foreigners. However, the difference is that Thai people are going to stick together to win over you while the foreigners living in Thailand don't care much about each other. That is the reason why we have such a hard time getting respect here.

One more suggestion: get a lawyer now!

Send me a private message if you have more questions.

Could not agree more, especially your last paragraph. Until All farangs stick together and stop wearing rose tinted glasses this will continue, I 'm not suggesting that we support other farangs when they are obviously in the wrong, but unfortunately some farangs seem to always make excuses and take the side of the Thai, perhaps mistakenly thinking that this will make the Thai's accept them as one Their own.

You're promoting a form of seperation that isn't good at all. It's like how some thais think. All thais should help one another and if this was the case you wouldn't have any thais helping you out.

Btw farangs are so different from one another too. In europe so many different farangs that speak so many different languages.

Let me start by saying this. I've been involved in 3 accidents and everytimes, i've been cleared of everything. I'll try to answer as best as I can and my apologize for the mistakes as my main language ain't English. Still, I'll take the time to answer to your questions and, in the eventuality it happens again, you'll know what to do.

There are things you did pretty well. The first one is that you haven't ran away from the scene. The second is that you know the Thai road safety code. The third good thing is that you have all the papers as required by the authority to drive in the kingdom.

There are 2 things you should have done not to be involved in the "farang is wrong" circle. The first one is to get a lawyer right before you and the insurance officer sign the papers at the police station to make sure that:

1- they wrote the report properly

2- the insurance officer wrote his repport properly

Insurances companies in Thailand have a bad reputation when it comes to pay for a car accident and this is caused by their wrong way to write their report. Exemple: they are going to write in Thai that you have for 20000 BAHT in damage on your vehicule but they are going to avoid writing that "it may cost more for unknown damages" the car accident may have caused, or, in the case the lady sue you, to pay for her damages. This said, this is one of the problem you may face pretty soon.

The second thing would have been to take evidence by yourself on the scene. You could have taken photos, videos and witness testifying about what happened over there. Usually, Thai people are not lying when the event just occured. They tend to lie more once they gossip about it with friends and family to make the farang looks "bad".

One more suggestion would be to install a dashcam. Don't forget that we are guests here and we need to do our own safety.

I'm lucky as I have a high rank policeman in my family who likes to teach me about the laws and how to do things in Thailand. I would tell you that it is not about not being welcome here, but all about money. Thais act this way towards Thais and so they act this way too towards foreigners. However, the difference is that Thai people are going to stick together to win over you while the foreigners living in Thailand don't care much about each other. That is the reason why we have such a hard time getting respect here.

One more suggestion: get a lawyer now!

Send me a private message if you have more questions.

Could not agree more, especially your last paragraph. Until All farangs stick together and stop wearing rose tinted glasses this will continue, I 'm not suggesting that we support other farangs when they are obviously in the wrong, but unfortunately some farangs seem to always make excuses and take the side of the Thai, perhaps mistakenly thinking that this will make the Thai's accept them as one Their own.

You're promoting a form of seperation that isn't good at all. It's like how some thais think. All thais should help one another and if this was the case you wouldn't have any thais helping you out.

Btw farangs are so different from one another too. In europe so many different farangs that speak so many different languages.

So how about helping the Thais to understand white skinned people are not all the same by first, maybe not refer to white skinned people as "farang" all the time, as that is the Thai definition of a white skinned person.

As I said before, a Farang, does not only mean a person with white skin. It actually means, first and foremost, white skin. And then secondly, a human being. Sure we are white, but we should help Thais to realize we are not all the same, and that skin color is not the most important thing.

Nationality, Culture, and most importantly, personality is what matters most to most of us.

• Like 1

It is not just foreigners that have this problem. In my wifes village, an old guy ran into her uncle who was stopped. Everybody agreed it was the old guys fault. Except the old guy. The court begged him to plead guilty. He wouldn't. Finally, after 2 years of court cases, the uncle gave in and negotiated 100k...feeling sorry for the old man.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

After two years of court and he gave in,feeling sorry,you gotta be joking.

No joke. Lawsuits were going back and forth. The old man wanted 200k. The teacher who got hit finally gave up, feeling sorry for the old man. True story.

Slightly off-topic, but I couldn't help but notice this in the OP:

"Almost instantly passers by helped the woman up and she was taken to the hospital by the rescue team for a check up.....she is fine , thank God, a few minor scratches."

Wait a minute, but didn't the TV know-it-alls insists that this never happens in Thailand? That the Thais never help victims of accidents? Another myth debunk.

As for the OP, no worries. If you have Class I insurance, your insurance company will "take care."

Yes I also saw an accident the last time I was in Pattaya, on beach road the traffic was backed up quite a way, Two elderly Falang ladies were crossing the street as they arrived to the other side of the street one lady was hit by a young Thai, on a motor bike at a high rate of speed on the shoulder of the road so as to not be held up by the stalled traffic, she was hurt quite badly but the Thai's that witnessed the accident got a pickup truck and cleared a path on a one way street leading to 2nd road and transported her to the hospital. The motor bike taxi drivers had the young men sit down until the police arrived.

So you are correct Thai's like any other compassionate people will help a person that is in need of emergency attention.

Cheers:wai2.gif

Edited by kikoman
  • Like 1

I had a very bad accident where unfortunately there was a fatality, it was not my fault but what was invaluable was a dashboard camera I had installed.

This was in Prachinburi province and when the police initially turned up I could see their little faces light up when they saw a Farang involved, but these were uneducated junior officers.

The "bodysnatchers" (volunteer ambulance) arrived on the scene and they all carry camcorders to sell footage to the press.

The first thing I done was play back the footage from the dashboard cam on my laptop and there were a myriad of camcorders filming my screen.

The accident then made headline news on Thai TV cos we all know they love such horrific footage.

But I must say that when it was time to go back to the police station the senior officers were intelligent and common sense prevailled, and they dealt with the issue fairly and without discrimination (If it was not for the dashboard cam then this may not have been the case, perhaps).

It's a similar story, car versus motorbike, no insurance, no licence etc..

However I would caution putting too much faith in the local insurance reps, they are almost subservient to the police. I made a few trips back with a lawyer who wouldn't accept what the local insurance reps were agreeing to regarding statements, eventually and because of the publicity etc.. they sent a rep up from Bangkok when it was time to conclude the case, and this woman was very good and very experienced.

There were demands for money of course from the family, but the police defended me and said there was no way I was liable and no way this would proceed to court.

However that didn't stop me making a payment to them out of the goodness of my heart, but it was made clear by the police that it was not an admission of guilt and simply "Nam Jai"

The senior police supported me and I did not have to pay them a single Baht.

Its a terrible experience but although it was a long and drawn out process to clear, I can't fault the behaviour and actions of the police in my case.

My recommendations are..

1. Dashboard cam

2. First class insurance

The dashboard camera certainly paid for itself that day, good idea, I will look into having one fixed into my car.

You made a payment to the other party out of the goodness of your heart,please tell me if this accident had occurred in your own country, would you have made a similar payment?.

I must admit I have never heard of the innocent party involved in an accident in my own country making such a payment, yet here in Thailand it seem a common occurrence, especially if the innocent party is a Farang.

A payment

I had a very bad accident where unfortunately there was a fatality, it was not my fault but what was invaluable was a dashboard camera I had installed.

This was in Prachinburi province and when the police initially turned up I could see their little faces light up when they saw a Farang involved, but these were uneducated junior officers.

The "bodysnatchers" (volunteer ambulance) arrived on the scene and they all carry camcorders to sell footage to the press.

The first thing I done was play back the footage from the dashboard cam on my laptop and there were a myriad of camcorders filming my screen.

The accident then made headline news on Thai TV cos we all know they love such horrific footage.

But I must say that when it was time to go back to the police station the senior officers were intelligent and common sense prevailled, and they dealt with the issue fairly and without discrimination (If it was not for the dashboard cam then this may not have been the case, perhaps).

However I would caution putting too much faith in the local insurance reps, they are almost subservient to the police. I made a few trips back with a lawyer who wouldn't accept what the local insurance reps were agreeing to regarding statements, eventually and because of the publicity etc.. they sent a rep up from Bangkok when it was time to conclude the case, and this woman was very good and very experienced.

There were demands for money of course from the family, but the police defended me and said there was no way I was liable and no way this would proceed to court.

However that didn't stop me making a payment to them out of the goodness of my heart, but it was made clear by the police that it was not an admission of guilt and simply "Nam Jai"

Its a terrible experience but although it was a long and drawn out process to clear, I can't fault the behaviour and actions of the police in my case.

My recommendations are..

1. Dashboard cam

2. First class insurance

The dashboard camera certainly paid for itself that day, good idea, I will look into having one fixed into my car.

You made a payment to the other party out of the goodness of your heart,please tell me if this accident had occurred in your own country, would you have made a similar payment?.

I must admit I have never heard of the innocent party involved in an accident in my own country making such a payment, yet here in Thailand it seem a common occurrence, especially if the innocent party is a Farang.

A payment

Naam jai important in thailand as poster indicated. The way to gain respect. In our countries we are already respected.

• Like 1

My recommendations are..

1. Dashboard cam

2. First class insurance

A payment

If you choose to drive in Thailand, it is best to get the best insurance available and dash cam and/or any devise that will record events as they happen, correctly. As the great financial responsibility that comes with driving tn LOS and becoming involved in an accident.

Tea money was in place in Thailand before the Falang's arrived and will still be in place long after the last Falang's leaves, it effect Thai's more than expats, if you want anything done, if you place some tea money, with it will be done. Much like the "mordida" in Mexico, where I first came into contact with the concept, the different in Mexico is that accidents that cause bodily harm are criminal offenses, instead of being required for the financial liability you could end up in prison.

As a result if I do not know the driving laws of the land, I chose not to drive and Thailand has a great alternative mode of transportation to driving in place.

You are correct to get any devise placed on your car that will aid, in explaining the circumstances of the accident.

Good Luck.

Cheers:wai2.gif

police told he "if a Farang is in the wrong he is sent home

Nothing but an opinion of one copper. Does neither really bear any relevance to current legal practices not to common immigration standards.

• Like 1

I will sympathize with those who have been involved in a serious or fatal accident while driving a car/pick-up regardless of who was at fault. I also realize that some due to circumstances of work, family commitments, or location require such transport.

However, reading of such occurrences, I am well satisfied with a lifestyle that only requires minimal travel on a 100cc Honda Wave which cannot do much damage or cause injury to others.

Years ago a minivan going backwards from his parking spot slightly scratched my mirror i was going slowly on the road , but he did n8t look or just did not see me, funny how he thought i had to stop to let him leave his place , he ended up yelling and beeing angry , i smiled friendly and went on my way , that was all never heard of it again , must have been my lucky day

Sad to say that you are always 'guilty' of being the foreigner so always in the wrong according to the Thais as, and I quote 'Even the worst Thai is better than the best Foreigner'. Their bigotry, xenophobia, selfishness etc etc. know no ends...NOT THAI BASHING - FACT ![/quote

Crap.So you are speaking about 65million,the Thai's.

Naam jai important in thailand as poster indicated. The way to gain respect. In our countries we are already respected.

Sure it's important for the Thai, especially when they are receiving money from a Farang, even if they, the Thai are in the wrong. I must admit I have heard of many farangs contributing to this Naam jai in such circumstances, yet I have never heard of a Thai showing his Naam jai, financially to a Farang when they,the Thai are obviously in the wrong.

• Like 1

Saying here in Thailand that someone is 'obviously' in the wrong or right is a myth: If someone motorcycle rider makes a turn or pulls out in front of you from a soi without even looking and you hit them, then one can say you were driving too fast for the given conditions as -- since someone pulling out in front of you on a motorcycle is to be routinely expected here in Thailand -- you were driving at a speed so as not to be able to stop in time should that event occur.

• Like 1

"Almost instantly passers by helped the woman up and she was taken to the hospital by the rescue team for a check up.....she is fine , thank God, a few minor scratches."

Wait a minute, but didn't the TV know-it-alls insists that this never happens in Thailand? That the Thais never help victims of accidents? Another myth debunk.

As for the OP, no worries. If you have Class I insurance, your insurance company will "take care."

Correction:

They helped her because everyone saw the foreigner getting out of the car. So you are in error to point out that Thais do not help... not in the context that "help" is equated with compassion, etc. They don't. But they do help when there is something in it for them, or in doing so, they can burn down a foreigner; in this case; to create a melodrama by doing this and bringing guilt upon the foreigner standing there in shock, wondering where in hell this stupid moron came from before she smacked in to him.

Additionally, the idiotic simians should not "help victims of accidents" and risk paralyzing people who need to be put in a stationary position as slowly and carefully as possible and kept there until the paramedics get there. I wonder how many Thais have suffered injury after the accident when the idiot monkeys get there and start pawing, jerking and pulling the victim around in an affort to mug for the camera or to get as near a ghoulish scene as they can and be a part of something great for their tedious and monotonous lives. This does not even take into consideration the large numbers of racist bigots who mull around and wait for their queue to further damage relations with people from other nations who come here and get side-swiped not only by idiots operating vehicles, but idiot vultures who descend afterwards to pick his bones clean.

Yiou debunked nothing because you took three or four things and lumped them into one imagined myth, thus creating your own myth; that Thais are not racist and rape foreigners in more than one way when they possibly can. Nice one!

If there is such a thing as karma,i hope you get what you deserve.

• Like 1

It is not just foreigners that have this problem. In my wifes village, an old guy ran into her uncle who was stopped. Everybody agreed it was the old guys fault. Except the old guy. The court begged him to plead guilty. He wouldn't. Finally, after 2 years of court cases, the uncle gave in and negotiated 100k...feeling sorry for the old man.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

After two years of court and he gave in,feeling sorry,you gotta be joking.

No joke. Lawsuits were going back and forth. The old man wanted 200k. The teacher who got hit finally gave up, feeling sorry for the old man. True story.

Why feel sorry for somebody that was doing you over.Didn't the ol' boy feel sorry for your uncle,he's laughing.100,000 baht,that's a big accident in a village.

Correction:

They helped her because everyone saw the foreigner getting out of the car. So you are in error to point out that Thais do not help... not in the context that "help" is equated with compassion, etc. They don't. But they do help when there is something in it for them, or in doing so, they can burn down a foreigner; in this case; to create a melodrama by doing this and bringing guilt upon the foreigner standing there in shock, wondering where in hell this stupid moron came from before she smacked in to him.

Additionally, the idiotic simians should not "help victims of accidents" and risk paralyzing people who need to be put in a stationary position as slowly and carefully as possible and kept there until the paramedics get there. I wonder how many Thais have suffered injury after the accident when the idiot monkeys get there and start pawing, jerking and pulling the victim around in an affort to mug for the camera or to get as near a ghoulish scene as they can and be a part of something great for their tedious and monotonous lives. This does not even take into consideration the large numbers of racist bigots who mull around and wait for their queue to further damage relations with people from other nations who come here and get side-swiped not only by idiots operating vehicles, but idiot vultures who descend afterwards to pick his bones clean.

Yiou debunked nothing because you took three or four things and lumped them into one imagined myth, thus creating your own myth; that Thais are not racist and rape foreigners in more than one way when they possibly can. Nice one!

If there is such a thing as karma,i hope you get what you deserve.

L

Saying here in Thailand that someone is 'obviously' in the wrong or right is a myth: If someone motorcycle rider makes a turn or pulls out in front of you from a soi without even looking and you hit them, then one can say you were driving too fast for the given conditions as -- since someone pulling out in front of you on a motorcycle is to be routinely expected here in Thailand -- you were driving at a speed so as not to be able to stop in time should that event occur.

A mate of mine was parked in his car at the side of the road,engine switched off, when a Thai riding a motorcycle came from the opposite direction on the other side of the road,lost control of his machine and crashed into my friends car. This I would say would put the Thai "obviously" in the wrong,no myth involved. However this did not stop the Thai trying to claim unsuccessfully from my friend.

To the OP

Assuming you were not high, drunk, speeding or similar, no crime has been committed, hence it is a civil case regarding financial compensation. There will be no jail, deportation etc. for anyone.

Completely forget the police, the case has nothing to do with them and they have no authority here. Their only job is to make a report regarding what happened for potential use in court later on. You should not sign this report as it is in Thai, and as there is no benefit to you in signing, only potential trouble. Further do not give them your passport at any time, not even to make a copy. Insist on making the copy yourself.

Unless you want to sue the lady on the bike, the case is between her and your insurance company, and has nothing further to do with you. Your insurance company knows exactly how to handle this, and they will be the ones paying in case she takes the matter to court - which is unlikely if she is poor. Odds are the insurance company will settle a small amount with her, and you will not even be notified of this as it does not concern you.

The only thing you have to worry about is the repair to your car, which you will have to clear with your insurance. While it may take a while, the rules are simple. If she is deemed at fault, your insurance company will have to pay for your car repair, and sue her for compensation if they want to. In case you are deemed at fault, they will have to pay for both her and your repair. So in either case your insurance company will eventually be paying for your car repair.

Oh, and in case the repair turns out to be expensive for the insurance company, your premium may increase significantly next year. If that is the case, then simply change to another company.

Ohoh, and all this crap about knowing this and that police officer, forget it. This only works when matters are settled at the local police station. Once insurance companies and courts are involved, nobody cares about the police anymore - and the police know it and will back out automatically.

Edited by monkeycountry

Sure it's important for the Thai, especially when they are receiving money from a Farang, even if they, the Thai are in the wrong. I must admit I have heard of many farangs contributing to this Naam jai in such circumstances, yet I have never heard of a Thai showing his Naam jai, financially to a Farang when they,the Thai are obviously in the wrong.

Couldn't agree more. By the way, if anyone on TV wants respect and wais from Thais, I know a whole bunch of Thais who will be happy to give it to you for say 5,000 baht each? I am sure I can convince them to throw in a big smile toobiggrin.png

Thank you monkey country,

I have taken note of everything you say and thank you for taking the time to write it down for me. Thankfully i did as you say about handing the police the copy of my passport rather than the passport itself, not because I had seen the potential danger, but because I had it in my car already but if they had asked for my passport I probably may have given it to them without thinking too much until you pointed it out (a good lesson for similar situations). I have just checked with my wife whether I signed a police report of not (couldn't honestly remember) she said that I did not. Again I probably would have done if asked, to get out of there as quickly as possible. I did not mention it in my OP (but did in a later post) that I had only 3rd. party insurance (on my way to upgrading after I write this and have dash cam installed) so a lot of what you mention in that area is not applicable to me.

I have asked this question 3 times already in this thread but have not received any comment.....As I knew I was not at fault I told my insurance rep. (keeping a serious face but with tongue in cheek because I knew it was mote than lightly the woman was not insured) to see about claiming for damages to my car from her insurance company. He almost laughed at me saying "motorbike insurance does not cover damage to property of any description...only covers damage to people....maybe you can help here ...is this true....seems not right somehow....I also drive a motorbike so am doubly interested. Thanks again. GB.

To the OP

Assuming you were not high, drunk, speeding or similar, no crime has been committed, hence it is a civil case regarding financial compensation. There will be no jail, deportation etc. for anyone.

Completely forget the police, the case has nothing to do with them and they have no authority here. Their only job is to make a report regarding what happened for potential use in court later on. You should not sign this report as it is in Thai, and as there is no benefit to you in signing, only potential trouble. Further do not give them your passport at any time, not even to make a copy. Insist on making the copy yourself.

Unless you want to sue the lady on the bike, the case is between her and your insurance company, and has nothing further to do with you. Your insurance company knows exactly how to handle this, and they will be the ones paying in case she takes the matter to court - which is unlikely if she is poor. Odds are the insurance company will settle a small amount with her, and you will not even be notified of this as it does not concern you.

The only thing you have to worry about is the repair to your car, which you will have to clear with your insurance. While it may take a while, the rules are simple. If she is deemed at fault, your insurance company will have to pay for your car repair, and sue her for compensation if they want to. In case you are deemed at fault, they will have to pay for both her and your repair. So in either case your insurance company will eventually be paying for your car repair.

Oh, and in case the repair turns out to be expensive for the insurance company, your premium may increase significantly next year. If that is the case, then simply change to another company.

Ohoh, and all this crap about knowing this and that police officer, forget it. This only works when matters are settled at the local police station. Once insurance companies and courts are involved, nobody cares about the police anymore - and the police know it and will back out automatically.

Just occurred to me as I'm on my way to have dash cam installed and upgrade to Class 1 insurance that the insurance company should reduce the cost of my policy for having a dash cam as they will most lightly benefit from it more than myself. If I am in wrong they pay out ....if I am in the right but accused of being in the wrong and I can prove by means of the camera that I was in the right, that saves the company possibly some big money....OK, I would save myself from a cost increase upon renewal but as monkeycountry pointed out....you can change your company.

More on liability. I was once waiting stationary at the traffic lights/u-turn when then bus in front of me decided he couldn't wait, so mounted the kerb to do the u-turn. The kerb was too high so he rolled back into my car. We went to the police station where the bus driver said I drove into the back of him! What can you do? I wanted to jump across the table at him. Police weren't interested, but gave me a bill for their time! Amazing Thailand!

A mate of mine was parked in his car at the side of the road,engine switched off, when a Thai riding a motorcycle came from the opposite direction on the other side of the road,lost control of his machine and crashed into my friends car. This I would say would put the Thai "obviously" in the wrong,no myth involved. However this did not stop the Thai trying to claim unsuccessfully from my friend.

so your friend was obviously able to claim from the Thai successfully?

so your friend was obviously able to claim from the Thai successfully?

I'm sure it will come as no surprise to you, "Unfortunately not"