De scaling on demand water heaters with calcium build up

jaideeguy

• 3 weeks later...

While on this topic, has anyone tried the magnetic/electronic products that claim to help with the issue? For example, this one even claims to help cleaning the existing build-up:

http://www.maxxi.co.th/index.php/water/decalcifier/maxxi-decalcifier

Best of all, it can save hours of cleaning time! this innovative solution will begin to save you money from day one, descaling your existing system and giving longer life to domestic appliances, not forgetting the savings on fuel bills, soaps, shampoo's and detergents.

• 2 weeks later...

That maxxi unit is not going to do anything !

"Electrostatic power field" lol, whoever wrote it tried to make up some

big words to sounds scientific. This unit will have exactly zero effect

on your water.

This item should be reported to the Consumer Protection Agency.

luudee

• Like 2

After having less than success on coffee makers don't believe I would even try on an on demand water heater. As these units are now quite inexpensive (cost less now than 30 years ago) I would be less than green and buy new. I say that after buying a new units about two months ago and being amazed at how much better the water flow is when compared to any of the other units in house (all more than a decade old). At a price under 3k very happy with it (Panasonic). Actually seems as if the flow is better than the others were when new so maybe they are using larger pipes these days for the heating coil.

on your water.

luudee

While I cannot comment on this specific unit, there has been some academic research in the field. IF a device is properly tuned, it would help with the problem. See http://www1.lsbu.ac.uk/water/descal.html and http://www1.lsbu.ac.uk/water/magnetic.html. Lots of references.

"There are 'electronic' devices, related to the above purely magnetic devices, that use weak electromagnetic signals utilizing a coil wound around a pipe. A square-wave pattern is often used as it effectively contains many frequencies from a few Hz to 100 kHz [657]. This changes the magnetic field in a manner similar to a number of rapid passes past a very weak static magnet. However the changing electric field will also contribute to the effect, as shown using a pulsed electric field [799]. Recently,13.56 MHz at 2 V has been found to work well [1626]."

While on this topic, has anyone tried the magnetic/electronic products that claim to help with the issue? For example, this one even claims to help cleaning the existing build-up:

Best of all, it can save hours of cleaning time! this innovative solution will begin to save you money from day one, descaling your existing system and giving longer life to domestic appliances, not forgetting the savings on fuel bills, soaps, shampoo's and detergents.

I purchased one of these type devices from the UK about 6 years ago for the same problem.

The effect is not observable. I found that initially I was wiping down surfaces immediately and therefore didn't see a build up. I concluded that it worked :). Subsequently went back to a normal style of maintenance and the issue really hadn't changed. No bona-fide group has demonstrated this has worked and there are university engineering departments who have studied it. I have since de-commissioned the unit.

My next attempt was to use ion exchange resins. This reduced calcium and magnesium but the salt use was very high and the recharging became a bothersome chore. Now I have installed a whole of house RO system. No pre-treatment of water supply (450 mg/l calcium) and the filters are still working well after 12 months. occasionally I will run the deionised water through the system to soak and this seems to preserve the RO filters from precipitated calcium damage. I ozonize the tank every 2 days and the water is safe to drink, no bacterial contamination, clean as anything with no taste, easy sudsing and no scale build up anywhere. The pipes have descaled since using this system.

I purchased one of these type devices from the UK about 6 years ago for the same problem.

The effect is not observable. I found that initially I was wiping down surfaces immediately and therefore didn't see a build up. I concluded that it worked smile.png. Subsequently went back to a normal style of maintenance and the issue really hadn't changed. No bona-fide group has demonstrated this has worked and there are university engineering departments who have studied it. I have since de-commissioned the unit.

Not all of these pseudo-science units are the same. Look at this report claiming that it's been carried out by the Engineering department at the University of Oxford.

http://www.lifescience.co.uk/PDFs/Softerwater.pdf

This is UK seller, so I don't think they would put something like this if it was fake. From what I've read, the general consensus is that the electro-magnetic type is the only type that might actually do the job, providing the "right" conditions are present. It depends on the water type, frequencies, etc (the reports mentions that "The presence of traces of iron in the water also appears to enhance the effectiveness of Water-King, probably by enhancing the electrical charge on the suspended nanoparticles").

Since OP has the problem already, I had suggested OP to buy it to see if it will help with the existing buildup as it claims and report back to us. Thanks in advance OP guitar.gif.pagespeed.ce.Rjd-vqhNlw.gif

I'd suggest white vinegar for the project. I soak lots of scaled up pieces in 3-5% acetic acid (white vinegar), and in a few minutes they're clean.

Relatively safe, easy to find, and won't kill you if you accidentally drink some. Kind of stinky, but not as bad as some other acids.

• Like 1

on your water.

luudee

While I cannot comment on this specific unit, there has been some academic research in the field. IF a device is properly tuned, it would help with the problem. See http://www1.lsbu.ac.uk/water/descal.html and http://www1.lsbu.ac.uk/water/magnetic.html. Lots of references.

"There are 'electronic' devices, related to the above purely magnetic devices, that use weak electromagnetic signals utilizing a coil wound around a pipe. A square-wave pattern is often used as it effectively contains many frequencies from a few Hz to 100 kHz [657]. This changes the magnetic field in a manner similar to a number of rapid passes past a very weak static magnet. However the changing electric field will also contribute to the effect, as shown using a pulsed electric field [799]. Recently,13.56 MHz at 2 V has been found to work well [1626]."

The Maxxi unit described in the article will not generate any magnetic fields. It's plain out nonsense ...

Modifying the molecular structure of water and calcium with magnets is possible, however it takes

a slightly larger magnet, like the particle accelerator they build in Switzerland. Read the references

you provided very very carefully !

My mother runs a vinegar water solution through her coffee machine once a months and that

seems to work just fine. After the vinegar mix, she has to run at least two pots of water through it

though, to get rid of the smell ...

I use instant coffee :P

rudi

The Maxxi unit described in the article will not generate any magnetic fields. It's plain out nonsense ...

I don't see use of the word magnetic on the maxxi website. The unit appears to be identical to the WaterKing one, for which the Oxford Uni report has been produced.

"The Water-King device differs from most available non-chemical water conditioning devices because it applies an electric field to water

inside the pipes rather than a magnetic field. The electrodes are fixed to the outside of the water pipes and they comprise two or more coils
of insulated wire, they do not provide for any magnetic field production. A rectangular pulsed voltage is applied between the two coils and
this induces an electric field inside the water pipe. The electric field will penetrate any normal water pipe."
I am not saying that it works, but claiming that a device is scam should be based on more than "I am an expert in everything" attitude. I am using the Maxxi drains, and could swear that there is nothing else in Thailand that is even remotely close to their quality.
Just sayin'