Bangkok: Police to tow away illegally parked cars beginning on Oct 21

webfact

Finally some sensible news regarding the controlling of traffic in the Capital.

Yes, but that's not nearly enough? Up to 500 baht ? That's a joke and peanuts for those driving a Mercedes. The opportunity cost of their time is probably considerably more than that for the convenience of being able to leave your car " anywhere ".rolleyes.gif

In London it costs up to £130 fine and towing away costs an extra £200blink.png

they have to make it a real deterrent not an alternative to undercover parking

all fines in LOS are a joke exept those concerning immigration ,.............more opportunities to fleece tourists

I know shopkeepers who pay the local beat cop to allow illegal parking 'for their customers' in front of their shops. It's a nice service for the business and a revenue stream for the officer. What's going to happen when these two policies clash? Take Rama IV for example, How would a tow truck even get into position to tow and how long would it take them to get the towed car to the impound yard? They'll be lucky to tow one car per day per tow truck so I don't expect it to be anything more than a drop in the ocean for changing anything in a meaningful manner; even if their intentions where in the right place.

I have a solution though. Rent a dozen large car-carriers (the kind that holds a dozen cars) and start a convoy down ONE street and pick up EVERY violator's car. Zero tolerance. Do a random, new street every day; focusing on the streets with the worst traffic. Impound the car a minimum of three days and a fine of Bt. 1,000 and see what happens. Half the money goes to run the system and half goes to the local cop shop to compensate for their losses. Make the tow crew independent of any local cop shops.

• Like 2

Going to be great in the Bangkok evening hours! "The tow truck's coming, it's a hundred yards up the road!"

"OK one more round. or do we have a designated towee?"

Sent from Android please excuse errors in judgement or type.

Again maybe need the help of the Dutch ??

Years ago [1976 - 1980] when I lived in Amsterdam, used to love watching the tow trucks and flat beds with a cradle do the job. row of 20 cars illegal parked. would not take more then 15 mins to all be gone..

Saw 4 cops standing around two motorbikes parked under a bus shelter in Sathorn the other day filling in copious paperwork. When they had finished filling in the forms they loaded one bike onto a pick up truck and drove off, leaving the other one behind. Go figure.