Multiple 3G connections

alexviseu

I've been in Thailand for almost 3 months (going for my ED visa in Laos this weekend).

I've been plagued by bad internet ever since I've move here. To tell the truth I didn't expect it to be so bad, invariably hotel and residences end up having shaky shared internet. I'm thinking in getting a condo after getting the ED visa but I mostly worry about what internet I'll be getting. I'm a heavy bandwidth user but I don't need that much speed, I'm OK with waiting for a download to finish, as long as I can make them (even at relatively low speeds I can use up to several tens of Gigabytes a month - I used 73GB in the last 21 days)

I tried True 3G briefly, and it worked great, until I hit the fair usage and the speed became unbearable. I believe it was reduced to 128Kbps or so.

I've been entertaining the idea of merging multiple 3G connections instead of wandering around between internet cafes and hotel/residence WIFIs. It would also give me freedom to work/play anywhere I need/want using my laptop.

I researched the different 3G operators and found this:

B299/m => 2GB + 384kbps (TOT3G) = 0.778 Bahts/kbps
B599/m => 2GB + 384kbps (true) = 1.5 Bahts/kbps
B299/m => 500MB + 128kbps (true) = 2.3 Bahts/kbps
B799/m => 4GB + 256kbps (AIS) = 3.1 Bahts/kbps
B429/m => 750MB + 128kbps (DATC) = 3.3 Bahts/kbps
B399/m => 1GB + 64kbps (AIS) = 6.2 Bahts/kbps
B599/m => 2GB + 128kbps (AIS) = 4.6 Bahts/kbps
Of course all prices are pre-VAT.
I'm not sure about their coverage, I assume they will all work decently inside Bangkok (which is where I am). But TOT3G seems a very good deal compared with the other operators, both in fair usage bandwidth usage and in speed after the fair usage is hit.
If I merged 4 TOT3G connections (using something like Connectify), I could theoretically have 8GB of high speed traffic and then around 1.5Mbps for the rest of the month (which is not that bad - almost 200KBps). And this would cost me around 1300 Bahts a month (VAT included).
I would also have to buy 4 air cards and a usb hub to connect them all, so maybe another one-time 4000/8000 bahts to setup the whole thing.
Do you know of people who have done this? And do you think this is a good idea? I'm seriously considering doing this after I come back from Laos.
Edited by alexviseu

I've had good experience with TOT ADSL and AIS HSPA+ 4GB a month for smartphone and backup when ADSL drops out. The main problems with internet in Thailand is the oversubscribed international gateway and poor system administration both with ISP's and with hotels/café's. I don't use torrents much, but can max out the adsl line on most other downloads by splitting it up into multiple connections with download managers.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

TrueMove H and AIS/One-2-Call have the best WiFi affiliations, so you may be able to get by with one or both, along with both a complementary and even a paid WiFi subscription, assuming your residence location has access to one or both of these WiFi services. I believe TOT/3G does offer a truly unlimited 3G plan, but it is speed-limited to 2 Mbps. Perfect Storm: http://www.tot3g.net/PromotionInfo.aspx?pid=23

Obviously a fixed-line solution would be better, so maybe choose a residence based on the ability to get DSL or DOCSIS.

I think you would need a specialized router which can support multiple SIMs/USB aircards and bond/load-balance multiple, simultaneous WAN connections, if you want to try that option.

Edited by lomatopo