Thai Police officer clarifies 'tourist-beating' video

webfact

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, not exactly... few years ago, i had a taxi ride from Koh Chang to BKK, and the price of the journey was discussed and agreed.

I have never had a problem with a taxi driver, tuk-tuk driver, or motorbike taxi when we settled on the business beforehand. If a taxi driver fails to start the meter, then I get out immediately. These guys know they can screw you if you negotiate after the trip is made, thus the arguments.

When we arrived in BKK, the driver asked me 500 B. more than the previously agreed price , and when i tried to discuss it, he started to become aggressive.

I gave him what he wanted, as i thought any other choice could have been more expensive.

TBH, that was the only bad experience i had with a taxi driver in Thailand

Similar thing happened to us last Thursday, My wife and her friend organised a taxi at Don Muang to Pattaya (Ambassador City) I waited with our 5 yr old and luggage, the negotiated price was 1,600 baht when we arrived the price was suddenly 2,500 baht the increase was due to myself being a farang and the wife didn't inform the driver I was a farang. Just glad he didn't demand a seat wear and tear on top of it. We just paid. The wife tried to give him a mouth full which set him off.

Youve had that one tried on you as well with a taxi...biggrin.png ...."the not informing farang surcharge clause" Section 3 paragraph 6 of the Thailand taxi code

Many years ago had something similar tried on with a hotel/resort, cant quite remember were it was, but the Mrs had booked the place for a few days away in her name 2 PAX , they never had and CC details or anything for the booking, but room rate agreed to, turned up and and their incredible powers of observation noted there was a farang in tow, all of a sudden agreed to room rate went up considerbly because apprantly I was a farang, according to my Mrs. I think they assumed we had arrived by taxi or bus or something and believed they had in corner and could force the rate increase cos we had no transport out of there..

Rather than get in an argument with them, I asked if they were sure about the "farang surcharge"...they said yes all smiles thinking I was going to pay it..."OK no problem, but we have changed our mind dont want to stay here anymore...picked the bags up, walked out and jumped in the car, drove off and found somewhere else to stay...thumbsup.gif

however the most blatant one I ever say was a DM, British guy flew in for the first time, standing out side "negotiating" a taxi ride to Pattaya 2nd road, I was standing outside waiting for my driver and was "ears dropping" on the conversation, I heard THB 6000 quoted and the guy must have agreed to it and the tout walked off to get the vehicle, I walked over and asked him I had heard right and they had quoted him THB 6000 one way, said yes and told him what it should roughly cost..not a happy bunny...but told him I was heading roughly that way anyway and can get the driver to drop him off if he wants...guy said ok and when the tout came back you should have seen his face as the guy jumped into my car with...I gave tout my best Thai smile and we drove off...

I wish more people would do that. If you get a jacked up price then refuse to pay and/or walk away.

Always find the anti Thai hate stuff a bit tiring. Dealing with tuk tuk, motocyke and taxi drivers is simple. AGREE ON A PRICE BEFORE YOU LEAVE, then pay as promised, throw in a small tip if you can.

Westerners in Thailand tend to see things from a Western perspective, why not try putting on the other guys shoes for a second. He has a family, he works long hours often 7 days a week, he deals with drunk, angry trouble makers (many times farang) often. Be polite, learn a bit of the language, work out a deal before hand and then you'll have no problems, no fights, in fact the exact opposite you can have a nice conversation, and learn a bit about another persons life.

I have spent about 3 years in Thailand, taken hundreds of Taxis, motorcykes and tuk tuks...never once has there been an argument about money. Treat people with kindness and respect, work out the price before you depart and your good as gold.

Thank you for such an insightful post based on your many years experience of Thai Cultural norms...

OK, if this guy's three years in Thailand isn't enough for you (I assume you're being sarcastic), I've been here for 26 and have also NEVER had a fight with a taxi, tuk-tuk, or motorcycle driver. I struggle to recall any time I've ever been ripped off by one. I even had one refuse to take my fare when he dropped me off because it was on his way home anyway (I admit that is one in a million).

Being polite and respectful has always worked for me it seems.

You are missing the point, we are talking about tourists here who DONT know the rules. Who are lured here by promises from TAT of a holliday without troubles who should be protected from these kind of things.

Agreeing on a price and such and learning the language are things most tourists just don't know. This is a country that lives from tourism its not the tourists who should adapt.

As someone who has lived here long too, I speak the language and agree in prices before. I have been riped off by a rigged meter other then that haven't been ripped off in taxis. Of course many don't open the meter but that is something I have learned to live with and a reason why I have my own transportation.

Also if you read my earlier posts how Thais always seem to respond that Thais are not at fault how many damming evidence there is you will see its a pattern. The cases that mentioned in the other post were widely reported.

bit naive arnt you son,trying to change a nation to your pc way of thinking is bordering on the absurdity,think youve been pumping the wrong stuff ,for xxxx sake this is thailand,love it or leave it.

Always find the anti Thai hate stuff a bit tiring. Dealing with tuk tuk, motocyke and taxi drivers is simple. AGREE ON A PRICE BEFORE YOU LEAVE, then pay as promised, throw in a small tip if you can.

Westerners in Thailand tend to see things from a Western perspective, why not try putting on the other guys shoes for a second. He has a family, he works long hours often 7 days a week, he deals with drunk, angry trouble makers (many times farang) often. Be polite, learn a bit of the language, work out a deal before hand and then you'll have no problems, no fights, in fact the exact opposite you can have a nice conversation, and learn a bit about another persons life.

I have spent about 3 years in Thailand, taken hundreds of Taxis, motorcykes and tuk tuks...never once has there been an argument about money. Treat people with kindness and respect, work out the price before you depart and your good as gold.

Sorry but that's total rubbish! Did you read the stories on here about taxis CHANGING the agreed upon price upon reaching the destination?

Explain to me how not wanting to be scammed is 'anti Thai hate (eh?) stuff'?

Thailand... Face saving is what you do best, whether right or wrong.

... You should be embarrassed by your country-people and more so of your Police department

... Its your fault when big spending tourist numbers drop and replaced by low paying tourists that dont G A F

• Like 2

While the trio was waiting for a bus in front of the bus company office at the scene, the Bahraini woman reportedly talked to a Thai man, and her newly married husband became angry and started trashing the bus company office.

So why are the Thai beating everyone up;including the woman? It seem the police think it is acceptable attack someone to solve a problem as opposed to calling the them when an emergency occurs.

Like all similar posts over the years we never know the whole story or indeed know if any of the story is true apart from that the farang or farangs were hurt or killed by thais.You can't trust much of what is reported or claimed to be the police response due bad reporting, bias, and truly awful translating.

Don't get out of shape over it.Its been that way since forever and is unlikely to change anytime soon.

• Like 1

WHY OH WHY does every little argument have to be 'solved' by violence?!?!? What happened to talking?!? In the worst case, you can agree that you disagree... So, up to someone else (police, judge) to decide, if you continue to disagree...

Violence solves nothing, but makes things only worse....

Yeah, this is Thailand, but this is a worldwide thing... Happens everywhere unfortunately sad.png

I have never had a problem with a taxi driver, tuk-tuk driver, or motorbike taxi when we settled on the business beforehand. If a taxi driver fails to start the meter, then I get out immediately. These guys know they can screw you if you negotiate after the trip is made, thus the arguments.

For sure.

Biggest problems I've ever had is taxis changing their mind after I'm already in the back.

You get that BS from time to time on suk at night.

That pisses me right off.

1. They're breaking the law by refusing a fare

2. They're kicking me out in favor of ripping off another farang

3. It's embarrassing to get in a cab then get back out 50m down the road.

f*** that.

If you tell me to get out of a taxi we're going to have a problem.

• Like 1

WHY OH WHY does every little argument have to be 'solved' by violence?!?!? What happened to talking?!? In the worst case, you can agree that you disagree... So, up to someone else (police, judge) to decide, if you continue to disagree...

Violence solves nothing, but makes things only worse....

Yeah, this is Thailand, but this is a worldwide thing... Happens everywhere unfortunately

True, it happens everywhere not only Thailand.

But too many here. There are way more of this kind of happening that doesn't include farangs. Most people here don't know common sense, think or discuss with reason. They don't think ahead. It's all about lack of self-control. All they know is that Mai pen rai applies to everything.

Soon I'm gonna call this place kingdom of animals.

Many comments in the website, and other social network sites, berate the Thai nationals for their aggressive behaviours against the tourists.

This part we know is basically true

While the trio was waiting for a bus in front of the bus company office at the scene, the Bahraini woman reportedly talked to a Thai man, and her newly married husband became angry and started trashing the bus company office.

This bit is a bit which is hard to believe, but Pol.Col. Suwat has his result, blame the farangs and make a bit of money on the side...

All is good in la la land for quality tourists

That wouldn't be hard to believe if they would have called the police or hold them till the police arrives, without beating and then overcharge them xx.000 Baht for damage.

The overcharge story is also strange. And I have seen tourists from Muslim countries which were very aggressive and always the Thais tried to calm it down.

So I wouldn't jump to the usual "the police is wrong" without knowing more.

Without any Bahrainis to corroborate or deny the police version of events I find it hard to believe they got away with only a 5000baht 'fine', considering they were entirely responsible. I imagine the truth is they paid a small fortune to extracate themselves from the avaricious police and couldn't wait to get out of the country.

I guess I will re-post, as I wasn't attacking anyone. I have just found that many of the men I meet here in Thailand are very insecure about the women in their lives so I have stopped talking to anyone's girlfriend of wife beyond the most basic greetings ("hello" or a wai for Thai women and then done). I guess we can't know if this is what really happened, but judging by some of the jealousy I have seen here from different guys from all over the world, I wouldn't doubt that a guy could go off the rails because someone had a conversation with his wife.

If you think the Thai's are bad, don't go near those Bahraini's.......................rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

OK, if this guy's three years in Thailand isn't enough for you (I assume you're being sarcastic), I've been here for 26 and have also NEVER had a fight with a taxi, tuk-tuk, or motorcycle driver. I struggle to recall any time I've ever been ripped off by one. I even had one refuse to take my fare when he dropped me off because it was on his way home anyway (I admit that is one in a million).

Being polite and respectful has always worked for me it seems.

You are missing the point, we are talking about tourists here who DONT know the rules. Who are lured here by promises from TAT of a holliday without troubles who should be protected from these kind of things.

Thanks robblok for pointing out the obvious. Thailand want to market itself as gentle, loving, kind, respectful and non confrontational- but the hype doesn't really match the reality.

And about 10, 20, 30 years in Thailand with no problems, I always wonder if those same folks were problem free back home :)

Disagreements will happen and thats OK. Whats not ok is trying to stand up for yourself and get beaten to a pulp by a xenophobic mob.

Edited by Lancelot

I guess I will re-post, as I wasn't attacking anyone. I have just found that many of the men I meet here in Thailand are very insecure about the women in their lives so I have stopped talking to anyone's girlfriend of wife beyond the most basic greetings ("hello" or a wai for Thai women and then done). I guess we can't know if this is what really happened, but judging by some of the jealousy I have seen here from different guys from all over the world, I wouldn't doubt that a guy could go off the rails because someone had a conversation with his wife.

If you think the Thai's are bad, don't go near those Bahraini's.......................rolleyes.gif

Oh, I have seen it with guys from "falang" countries and everything in between. I don't know any people from Bahrain, so couldn't comment. I am just out of talking to attached women at all. It just isn't worth the stress....still doesn't warrant a beating.

Did you read the whole story. The 5,000Baht fine was for damage allegedly caused to an office and the story mentions that the tourist husband got angry and trashed a bus office because someone spoke to his wife.

He probably didn't read much of the story at all, Thai bashers smell the blood and dive in boots and all without knowing the facts. They must be loving this thread. biggrin.png

Its crazy... when there is a rape its also the victims fault, Thais are never wrong. It gets real boring in this xenophobic attitude. Is it that hard to admit when a fellow countryman is wrong. I could not care less if a Dutch guy does something wrong. Wrong is wrong and needs to be punished not brushed under the carpet.

This is the kind of attitude which scares tourists away.

I have been coming to Thailand since I was 21 years old (8 years now), and this year am only spending a week in Thailand, but after my 1 week learning Khaen I am going to experience Vietnam. My only hope is that my Khaen tutor is not as merciless as Thai urban transport providers or as racist and heartless as the Phuket police have proven to be against non-Thais time and time again, regardless of color.

This is the real shame, that I no longer feel wanted or safe in my second home.

• Like 1

Anything safe you can do in Thailand nowadays ? coffee1.gif

Check in at the arrivals lounge, shop at duty free, and then catch your connecting flight outside of Thailand.. oops, that has proven to be unsafe too.

But seriously, if you are careful about who you interact with, and do not interact with anyone that approaches you first you should be generally OK. Keep a copy of your embassy contact card with you and give it to any cop that does anything more than what you would expect of an officer at home. Not all do, but Thai police are supposed to be the ones who uphold the law and apply penalties fairly and evenly.

If you think the Thai's are bad, don't go near those Bahraini's.......................rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif width=20 alt=rolleyes.gif>

Oh, I have seen it with guys from "falang" countries and everything in between. I don't know any people from Bahrain, so couldn't comment. I am just out of talking to attached women at all. It just isn't worth the stress....still doesn't warrant a beating.

Yep, it can be all about possession, especially Asian countries (although it does happen in the west as well).

Anything from making the women hide themselves from head to toe in case anyone dares to look at their beauty (or otherwise), to rattles & teddies coming out of the pram if you dare to talk to them.

Evening Joe, yes, you are right - we should agree on a price before departing, we like many on here are the fortunate ones with the knowledge to do such a thing. But many, coming to Thailand and expecting smiles, expect the same attitude to come with the smile as it would back home. This is, compassion, honesty, and fairness. Sadly for those who are cheated and for those wonderful taxi drivers and Police who are honest and fair, there are some who are not. Pair one of these guys up with a Bahraini couple on their honeymoon who in all likelihood have never been out of the middle east, and we have a serious problem.

Is this the problem of the Bahraini couple for not understanding local customs, or the taxi driver for not understanding that tourists globally often understand little of local customs, and do not feel it necessary to learn? This is a global issue, with the Thai Police already communicating their decision outcome within their actions, and the government approving the actions of the police through their statutory inaction to protect tourists from rogue traders, scammers, thugs and mafias of all sorts.

Edited by TheGhostWithin

I have been coming to Thailand since I was 21 years old (8 years now), and this year am only spending a week in Thailand, but after my 1 week learning Khaen I am going to experience Vietnam. My only hope is that my Khaen tutor is not as merciless as Thai urban transport providers or as racist and heartless as the Phuket police have proven to be against non-Thais time and time again, regardless of color.

I spent 4 months traveling Vietnam in 2004-05, great place but probably encountered more trouble there in that 4 months as I have in Thailand in nearly 8 years. Vietnamese people can be every bit as violent as Thais, including the ladies.

Enjoy your time in the country but keep your wits about you. thumbsup.gif

Never one on one is it !

The nice police officer's "clarification" did not actually clarify the point which many viewers of the video clip (now worldwide) took offence to - that the clip apparently shows random Thai passers by lining up to kick people who are already on the ground... If this is an accepted "Thainess" which does not really merit comment by the police who allegedly investigated the incident.

• Like 2

I spent 4 months traveling Vietnam in 2004-05, great place but probably encountered more trouble there in that 4 months as I have in Thailand in nearly 8 years. Vietnamese people can be every bit as violent as Thais, including the ladies.

Enjoy your time in the country but keep your wits about you. thumbsup.gif

ok

But does vietnam have a goverment department like TAT ? and as another poster stated "Thailand want to market itself as gentle, loving, kind, respectful and non confrontational"

One suspects most tourists going to Vietnam already know of "vietnam's" reputation for violence after what they did to the American's during the American war...

Lets see now...believe the Thai version or events, which is as usual that the Thais are all more or less innocent (or at most a token 200 baht worth of blame), or that the Thais are once again a bunch of lying, brain dead, psychopathic, cowardly, bullying semi-humans....you decide...i've already made my mind up having seen/heard/read of countless examples

Edited by paddyjenkins

If you think the Thai's are bad, don't go near those Bahraini's.......................rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif width=20 alt=rolleyes.gif>

Yep, it can be all about possession, especially Asian countries (although it does happen in the west as well).

Anything from making the women hide themselves from head to toe in case anyone dares to look at their beauty (or otherwise), to rattles & teddies coming out of the pram if you dare to talk to them.

In China, I have experienced weird situations with couples several times. The woman stands behind her man, her head sort of peeking out from behind his shoulder. I never say anything to her and talk with the man. When it is time to go, I say goodbye to him and, out of courtesy, I look at her and say goodbye. the guy looks at me as if I have just propositioned his gf/wife.

But, recently, I have observed Westerners going berserk for similarly benign interactions (I wasn't involved in those cases). Just giving them ALL a wide berth from now on.