Thai Charter change will dilute law, risk loss of land, Democrats say

webfact

Charter change will dilute law, risk loss of land, Democrats say
Pimnara Pradubwit,
Khanittha Thepphajorn
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- THE DEMOCRATS plan to vote against the "dilution" of the legal framework for international agreements, chief opposition whip Jurin Laksanavisit said yesterday.

The bill to amend Article 190 of the Constitution comes up for its second reading in Parliament today.

Jurin said the opposition lawmakers found the bill unacceptable, as it was designed to weaken parliamentary scrutiny and inflate executive power.

Should the government be allowed to water down the charter's provision on the legislature's oversight of international negotiations, this might lead to further loss of the country's sovereignty, he said, referring to the border dispute over Preah Vihear Temple.

Despite the strong provision, the foreign minister at the time, Noppadol Patama, had exploited a loophole to issue a joint communique to appease Cambodia on the issue, he said.

The amended version would rescue Noppadol from his current legal predicament and risk Thailand's territorial integrity, he alleged.

Some 119 opposition lawmakers have lined up to address the floor during the two-day debate.

Pheu Thai Party spokesman Prompong Nopparit said the government would give the opposition MPs and senators full rein to voice dissenting opinions.

Prompong said Abhisit had no justification to suspect that the amendment of Article 190 had the interests of government politicians and the energy industry in mind.

He ruled out concern about making a quorum, saying each coalition whip would ensure the attendance of eight MPs.

The passage of the change to Article 190 would not encounter a repeat of the litigation against the amendment on senate elections, he said.

The debate would go smoothly as the coalition would try to restrain its objections to offensive remarks raised by the opposition, he added.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-15

Jurin said the opposition lawmakers found the bill unacceptable, as it was designed to weaken parliamentary scrutiny and inflate executive power.

So less checks and balances and more authority for Thaksin's proxies

And who take the democrats serious at all? The Democrats should not worry about any charter. All charters are written on used toilet paper in Thailand and the Democrats only are the ones to cancel any charter as soon as their has been another coup. The Democrats should be renamed the Coup-Party

When did the Democrats "cancel any charters"?

The arranged marriage between Shin offspring and Sen offspring gives a massive clue for the alert observers as to the fugitives future plans for His country. His oil and gas interests( at the cost of the Thais prosperity) in the gulf should be the least of the citizens worries.

• Like 2

And who take the democrats serious at all? The Democrats should not worry about any charter. All charters are written on used toilet paper in Thailand and the Democrats only are the ones to cancel any charter as soon as their has been another coup. The Democrats should be renamed the Coup-Party

The Democrats did have a referendum on their charter though. And the people voted for it.

I would like to think the PTP will offer the people the same choice.

Edited by bigbamboo

The Democrats did have a referendum on their charter though. And the people voted for it.

The junta cancelled the 1997 constitution, rewrote it, and put it to a referendum. It wasn't the Democrats.

The arranged marriage between Shin offspring and Sen offspring gives a massive clue for the alert observers as to the fugitives future plans for His country. His oil and gas interests( at the cost of the Thais prosperity) in the gulf should be the least of the citizens worries.

Do you have an invite to the wedding, or at least some more information on this happy occasion? Or how Thaksins alleged oil and gas interests affect Thais prosperity. Or is this just another case of that old PAD favourite "This allegation may not in fact be true, but it is widely believed, and that is what counts."

• Like 2

WHEN did the Democrats had a own charter?

We had the Austrian Hungarian Double Kingdom with an eagle with 2 heads as symbol.

It worked well till we started a war and lost it.

Do you have an invite to the wedding, or at least some more information on this happy occasion? Or how Thaksins alleged oil and gas interests affect Thais prosperity. Or is this just another case of that old PAD favourite "This allegation may not in fact be true, but it is widely believed, and that is what counts."

your forever defending thaksin..do you support him ....just a curious question.....wai2.gif

If you were imprisoned for libel as a result of this outrageous lie, I would come to visit you in prison to blow raspberries at you.

your forever defending thaksin..do you support him ....just a curious question.....wai2.gif

You may not have read my reply to being accused of being an "unreconstructed thaksinistra"

"I'm hardly an "unreconstructured Thaksinista", I just prefer to deal with truthful facts other than emotional hyperbole masquerading as "the truth". It's seems to be a trend, as soon as one supplies readily backed up facts about what actually happened, as opposed to what another thinks happened the labels come out. Really, just try a bit of research before quoting "facts"

It's as simple as that really, I'm not telling lies, I provide links for my facts, not hearsay. You have semi fallen into the same trap of labeling by questioning whether I was a supporter of Thaksin but at least you had the good grace to ask that question as opposed to assuming.

I look for facts with regard to the PTP and the UDD as well - why? Because the majority of opinion on this forum is negative regarding them, fair enough, but it goes beyond that. Complete lies are regarded as gospel, half truths promoted to facts and few people query the sources provided, hearsay, "a government source", all perfectly legitimate if it's against the Government, Thaksin or whoever.

A classic example - there are still posters on here that still believe maintain that the Army were not responsible for shooting unarmed protesters despite the evidence.

Do I support Thaksin? Up to you as they say here, whatever I say to that question will be pointless and of no interest really.wai.gif

The wedding was covered in the press. Nothing unusual in offspring from two powerful, influential, wealthy ethnic Chinese families being "encouraged" to wed and thus link the families. Happens all over SE Asia.

Here the added ingredient is that one family is headed by a dictator of a country, and the other by a wannabee dictator, known for previously manipulating his country's laws when PM to favor his commercial interests and those of his family. The fact he's also a fugitive convicted criminal all adds to the spice.

Make a good soap story really, sort of Asian Dallas or Dynasty.

• Like 1