Successful Businesses in Phuket

IrishIvan

Inspired by a previous post I thought I would start this thread about successful businesses. What are some of the businesses that really stand out for you? For me its Phuket Top Team and Tiger Muay Thai, they both have changed Chalong for the better.

Jurapan in Chalong which started off as just a small little stationary shop and is now a gold mine.

The Laguna complex. That guy is a dead set genius. He turned a little bamboo shack in the back of Nai Harn into one of the areas most successful Nightclubs.

Siam Safari. Just seeing the amount of Land Rovers that are sitting on the side of the road amazes me. It must have cost a few million dollars to replace and upgrade all those vehicles.

The Kata wave park. Now I thought that place would never make money. Its packed every day.

Pier 42. The place was an eyesore and now its teaming.

There is a few to start off

Aussie Bar, Katathani beach resort, aquarium, walkers inn Kho Lak, Phuket zoo

Aussie bar is one that shines out. I remember when it was a pokey little joint. Now its hard to get a seat in there. They charge through the nose though. 110baht for a tiger

• Like 1

Aussie bar is one that shines out. I remember when it was a pokey little joint. Now its hard to get a seat in there. They charge through the nose though. 110baht for a tiger

its mainly Aussie tourists who go there and the price of a beer there is a lot cheaper than Australia

The owner invested and upgraded right after the tusnami when no one else was interested and has done very well

its mainly Aussie tourists who go there and the price of a beer there is a lot cheaper than Australia

The owner invested and upgraded right after the tusnami when no one else was interested and has done very well

It depends where you drink at in Australia. Its cheaper than pubs. But not cheaper than RSL or leagues clubs. You can still get a Schooner for $4.50.

One thing I can assure you from a close source

Kata surf house is busy but they don't cover costs, let alone make a profit.

Rent is ridiculously high. They have a generator running the non stop and all that staff.

Trust me. It's bleeding.

Got to agree with you Hans. Looked like a loss maker from the start. Although I thought the land was on a long term lease from Club Med to the Norwegian guy who had the restaurant. He tore down that restaurant and became a partner in the Surf House, at least what I heard. Can't believe they never paid for a large transformer, but opted for the 2 hired generators, fuel, and service costs. As you say - bleeding money.

Unless one has access to balance sheets, tax returns, etc., it all remains an exercise in presumption and speculation -- not a good starting point, analytically speaking. Anyway, such constraints have never been insurmountable obstacles in this forum. :)

What is the OP's criteria for judging "success?"

Is it how long the business has kept the doors open, with the same own?

Is it how many people go there?

Is it how many baht it puts in the owner's pocket?

I just assumed the first criteria, as that means citeria 2 & 3 must be positive.

I just assumed the first criteria, as that means citeria 2 & 3 must be positive.

That's not always the case LIK.

I know a couple of guys here who are quite wealthy in their home countries and have businesses.

They have been in the same place for many years. They fully admit their businesses only break even, sometimes a little short in the month, sometimes a good month.

When I've asked both of them, "Why don't you get rid of it?" Their answer was, "It's my hobbie."

Makes you wonder how many are similar here.

• Like 1

No. The owner might have deep pockets, so that he can absorb losses for a long time. Or he might also have another source of income. Also he might be just about able to make both ends meet for 10+ years. Also sometimes farang business owners who are heading towards bankrupcy, manage to find a farang business partner who pumps new money into it, so that the doors can be kept open. smile.png Or the owner is a Thai lady with a German boyfriend, and when his money runs out and he goes home, she finds herself a Russian.

No. The owner might have deep pockets, so that he can absorb losses for a long time. Or he might also have another source of income. Also he might be just about able to make both ends meet for 10+ years. Also sometimes farang business owners who are heading towards bankrupcy, manage to find a farang business partner who pumps new money into it, so that the doors can be kept open. smile.png Or the owner is a Thai lady with a German boyfriend, and when his money runs out and he goes home, she finds herself a Russian.

Yes, this does happen.

The farang thinks he's so lucky to hook up with a "Thai business women" who gets him to put in some capital to "expand" the business, or become a partners in the business.

After he does, she whips up some domestic problems and breaks off the relationship, or, the money he puts in was what he couldn't afford to lose, and he goes home broke, and she looks for the next victim.

The "business" is just her bait and the place stays open for years.

Taipan Nightclub has been around for a while, with the same owner, and always has a crowd.

Best thing that happened for Taipan, in recent times, where 500 baht bar fines in the Soi beer bars, and 1000 baht bar fines in the new Tiger Complex.

Taipan suddenly got more busy, very quckly. :)

• Like 1

The Dara Hotel near central is one I never thought would have kicked a goal. It seems to be doing quite well

how did you come to that conclusion?
A friend of mine knows the owner and apparently he is going to build more.

Its full of Thais all year round

• Like 1

It depends where you drink at in Australia. Its cheaper than pubs. But not cheaper than RSL or leagues clubs. You can still get a Schooner for $4.50.

$4.50 aud is 130 baht

$4.50 aud is 130 baht

But a bottle of beer is 375 mils while a schooner is 425ml. Its a saving of about 40 cents

Edited by IrishIvan

I was going to say the Alwyn Dixon School of Krav Maga but as I haven't opened yet I won't tongue.png But the bars up at the view point behind Kata enroute to Naiharn have done amazingly well, I remember back in 2001 when it was the "Reggae Bar" and another little one, now there's a few thriving restaurants there!!