Road trip to Vietnam

Barney R

Good morning guys I am in the initial stages of planning a motorbike trip from BKK through Laos to Vietnam and would like as much information as possible eg. Best route , road conditions , best time of year , ideal bike,border problems ect.... .? Has any of our readers completed this journey ? Ideally around middle to end of January . There are two of us at the moment but if anyone is interested in joining us please let me know . Any constructive input would be greatly appreciated .

Google "gt-rider forum", you can get all information there. You can't take a Thai registered bike into Vietnam, that was true last year and I don't things have changed. Thai registration into Lao and Cambodia are no problem, and the people working immigration on both sides are some of the nicest you'll encounter (seriously).

Edited by kicking

I wrote to the Vietnamese embassy in London to clarofy the situation and just got a generic reply which told me nothing. Sent a reply pointing this out, no reply. Sarky email going off soon!

I'm sure I can find plenty to see in Laos and Cambodia so they can stick their country.

The only way I ever heard of driving a bike into Vietnam was at the border crossing near Kep in south east Cambodia. It may be allowed on the strict understanding you are going to the island of Phu Guoc, and also that you will return via the same border crossing ---- it's to encourage tourism, but depends on the border official.

5 USD in your passport seems to help a lot. Good luck and happy trails.