Home made Turkish or Lebanese style doner kebab meat

Konini

Has anyone had any success with either of these? Not so much the browned meat, which I've pretty much mastered but the taste. My efforts using half beef and half lamb (minced) have been dismal.

I can pretty much reproduce the flavour of the ones I've had in England, but not from the Turkish owned Golden Grill or Lebanese owned Ali's in Melbourne (where the garlic sauce is yoghurt rather than mayonnaise based and much nicer, perhaps more authentic).

(My homemade garlic sauce (with homemade yoghurt) is perfect. A mashed potato to thicken seems to be the secret).

Any input appreciated.

Try this recipe; it's easy and super-delicious:

Greek Gyros with Tzatziki-

Ingredients:

Tzatziki sauce:

2 small containers Greek yogurt
Several cucumbers, peeled, seeded and minced
1/4 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

a little extra virgin olive oil

Gyros:

½ lb. ground Beef

½ lb. ground Lamb

4 slices Wheat bread, blended into fine crumbs

2 tsp Cilantro, minced

2 Garlic cloves, minced

1 tsp Salt

½ tsp Pepper

1 TBS Oregano

1 1/2 Tsp Cumin

1 Egg, beaten

Marjoram, pinch

1 TBS Rosemary

Preparation:

Squeeze the water out of the cucumbers before mixing tzatziki ingredients. Mix the gyros ingredients and shape the meat mixture into 3-4 inch, flattened “torpedoes;” then fry in olive oil or broil in the oven. Serve with Tzatziki sauce, pita bread, olives, scallions, pickles, Greek salad, hummus...

How do you make your garlic sauce?

Edited by Michaelaway

Thank you, I'll give it a try next time.

Garlic sauce is easy - about 2 cups of strained (thick) yoghurt, lots of minced garlic, a good squirt of lemon juice, plenty of salt, 1 cooked, well mashed medium to large potato to further thicken and sometimes cucumber, sometimes not. I usually make double this amount and put in a well sealed container in the fridge. Lasts longer than we've ever had it in the fridge as it's very more-ish (I'd say 2 weeks if made the day the yoghurt is made). Great as a dip with crisps or bread, nice with toast dipped in even and if we're feeling healthy with vegetable sticks.

To get thick yoghurt whether shop bought or home made, hang over a bowl in cheese cloth or muslin for a couple of hours to strain the whey off. Use the whey for making lassi, in fruit shakes or instead of the water/milk in chapati's. Making yoghurt is so easy I don't know why everyone doesn't do it.

Tip: Don't be shy with the salt. It just doesn't taste the same.

Tip 2: Use a Lock Lock type container or a glass jar with a very well sealing lid as it will stink your fridge out if you don't.

Good luck.