RV to hire or buy

SidJames

In all my travels here, I have only seen 2 RVs. Both were parked at Mike's Mall and were doing an around the world trip or something. I don't think I've ever seen an RV park here. Something essential for hookups and dump stations.

Unless you will be in the north during the winter, AC would be a necessity. RVs are basically tin cans and heat up quickly...with poor air circulation. Which would require a 30 amp elec source. Issues around the toilet also. Not to mention secure places to park.

I love the idea, having lived full time in one before. But just don't think it is possible here in SE Asia. I'd love to be proven wrong!

• 4 weeks later...

In all my travels here, I have only seen 2 RVs. Both were parked at Mike's Mall and were doing an around the world trip or something. I don't think I've ever seen an RV park here. Something essential for hookups and dump stations.

Unless you will be in the north during the winter, AC would be a necessity. RVs are basically tin cans and heat up quickly...with poor air circulation. Which would require a 30 amp elec source. Issues around the toilet also. Not to mention secure places to park.

I love the idea, having lived full time in one before. But just don't think it is possible here in SE Asia. I'd love to be proven wrong!

Air Condition would be a necessity yes , so what? Most RV's / campers/ motorhomes have aircon just try to hire an RV in Colorado USA without aircon. 30 Amps ? we are only cooling about 10 m3 not a house. Small aircon with small generator will do the job.

Secure places to park? We are in Thailand, here unless you take a ladyboy inside you RV the risk is really low. I have never heard of tourists being rapped, murdered, at a rate as in South Africa, Brazil or other countries (even US) where RV's are very popular. So please find me another reason why RV are not popular here. By the way in China and Korea there are now waiting lists up to 2 years for simple German caravans.

Edited by Boatfreak

Air Condition would be a necessity yes , so what? Most RV's / campers/ motorhomes have aircon just try to hire an RV in Colorado USA without aircon. 30 Amps ? we are only cooling about 10 m3 not a house. Small aircon with small generator will do the job.

Secure places to park? We are in Thailand, here unless you take a ladyboy inside you RV the risk is really low. I have never heard of tourists being rapped, murdered, at a rate as in South Africa, Brazil or other countries (even US) where RV's are very popular. So please find me another reason why RV are not popular here. By the way in China and Korea there are now waiting lists up to 2 years for simple German caravans.

Rape is not my concern, and it's hardly relevant to compare here to Brazil or South Africa. My concern is the things that disappear in the night. Chairs, spare tires, gas bottles, bikes, etc. One reason it's nice to overnight in a proper park. Most have some form of security. As for AC, a generator would work. Your neighbors will love you. Sewer dump is another big issue.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an RV nut. Lived in one full time for several years and have been RVing my whole life, USA, Mexico and Europe. So I know this quite well.

Infrastructure in China and Korea is way ahead of here in Thailand. China has some really nice roads. Get a bit off the beaten track here and the roads are not that good. Something that will cause major problems with your rig. We did a trip from near Nakhon Phanom down to Pattaya, hugging the river as much as possible. The roads were a mess.

I'm not sure why they aren't popular here. I'd guess personal income has something to do with it. Free time. Lack of interest? Thai's don't really camp that much either. A bit, but nothing like in Europe or the US.

Saw a rv in Phuket a few days ago that looked like a rental. thairv.com was the website featured on the rental.

Interesting. The section on RV parks just shows pics from the US. Use to live close to one they've got listed. Seems the posts are by Thais in the US who are RVing???

The section on ones for sale shows lots from other countries. I would think this market here would start to develop at some point. Would be fantastic!

Have seen two in Pattaya, one was for sale..sold already...yep great way to travel. As per Craigs post security will also be an issue. Abbundance of cheap rooms so hasnt really been any need although camping is becominig popular when motorcylce shows

• Like 1

http://www.carryboycaravan.com/motorhome/th/

http://www.carryboycaravan.com/mobilehome/th/

wonder what they do about a/c in hot season, would they run the engine all night?

The motorhome has an AC unit, the trailer doesn't. The motorhome would have to run the engine to use the AC. Or plug in somewhere (30amp necessary). Or get a decent generator.

Unfortunately, these RVs don't really have good air circulation. Sitting in the sun, they can really heat up.

The links you provide are from the company importing these. Would be interested to know how many they've imported. Sunrise Tacos, here in Pattaya, has one that they use as a mobile shop.

Dumping stations and refilling would be one HUGE issue here for sure and as Craig says we are just not set up here in LOS as far as campgrounds go etc.

I always think about buying one of those busses for sale on Sukhumvit here and custom building a nice RV but they are 90% windows for one.......not a great start. O know there are also buses for sale in Bkk (Mini school buses and full size) that might be my future hobby.

• 3 weeks later...

The owner of a large builder's merchants (paint, pipes, etc) on Sukhumvit Road has a small RV (based on a Toyota Vigo, if I recall correctly) which is often parked outside and sometimes has a "for rent/sale" sign on it.

Go south out of Pattaya past Lotus, Thepprasit, etc, and the shop is on the left hand side after the turning to European Home Place, just after the 7-11 on the corner.

Edited by LeCharivari

I live in a caravan here in OZ and I can pull up anywhere, 2kva Honda genny, 2 by 300ah batteries, 2000amp inverter and 40amp battery charger, I have a roof air con only because I have nowhere to fit a window air con in the front or back, the window air cons do a bloody good job, I have often thought of getting an old bus over there and fitting it out to travel, would not cost much and you could "live the dream" as the saying goes.

I live in a caravan here in OZ and I can pull up anywhere, 2kva Honda genny, 2 by 300ah batteries, 2000amp inverter and 40amp battery charger, I have a roof air con only because I have nowhere to fit a window air con in the front or back, the window air cons do a bloody good job, I have often thought of getting an old bus over there and fitting it out to travel, would not cost much and you could "live the dream" as the saying goes.

Australia is an RV'ers dream. The country is open to this and has all the support required. Try getting RV supplies here. I've never seen a store. Plus, the country is sooooo densely populated, where would you stop? People live everywhere and if you stopped, either you'd be asked to move along or a hand would come out asking for money. That's how it works in Mexico also. Luckily, the amounts asked aren't too much and if you are in the right area, vendors come by that cater to the RV'ers selling all sorts of great stuff.

I think the other big problem here is the roads. Upcountry, they are in terrible condition. As you know, an RV is basically a moving earthquake. Things break quickly on poor roads.

Australia is an RV'ers dream. The country is open to this and has all the support required. Try getting RV supplies here. I've never seen a store. Plus, the country is sooooo densely populated, where would you stop? People live everywhere and if you stopped, either you'd be asked to move along or a hand would come out asking for money. That's how it works in Mexico also. Luckily, the amounts asked aren't too much and if you are in the right area, vendors come by that cater to the RV'ers selling all sorts of great stuff.

I think the other big problem here is the roads. Upcountry, they are in terrible condition. As you know, an RV is basically a moving earthquake. Things break quickly on poor roads.

Nightmare for today.

Business opportunity for tomorrow.

RV manufacturing, RV rentals, RV parks, RV dump stations, RV stores, RV clubs, Cha Ching, Cha Ching.

Forgot to mention RV scams. Triple Ching.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1