School wants more money for MOE Letter

Hello

I recently applied and paid for one year course with a school for an ED Visa extension.

The all procedure was uneasy and not straight forward, I had doubts about this guy ...

Anyhow I was with a friend who said the place looked legit and I was too paranoid, so I paid.

Today, the school called me, asking for an extra 8000B to get a one year extension so I don't have to go to immigration every 3 months.

I politely refused and said I was "happy" to go to immigration every 3 months, as my radar was again on alert :it seemed strange /dodgy/ never heard of that.

The guy on the phone then said he could not guaranty that my visa would be accepted.

I said no problem, I could deal with immigration myself just give me the papers please.

He refused and said HIS school policy was to take the student to immigration and asked me when I was coming.

I said I had to check my schedule and call him back.

2 minutes later he calls back, he now wants 4000 B, he says the immigration wants 8000B but the school is ready to help me and pay 4000 for me.

I still say: no, I just want my MOE letter thanks.

He start shouting HIS SCHOOL DOES NOT DO THAT

Why? I asked, it's standard procedure in other schools.

More shouting.

What can I do ?

Thank you for your help

K

You are aware you must pay 1,900 baht and fill out a TM.7 and TM.47 every 90 days unless you can extend for one year. It is not just a visit to immigration every 90 days. Visa only allows a 90 day stay and even if you had a multi entry visa you would have to leave the country every 90 days or less.

You are aware you must pay 1,900 baht and fill out a TM.7 and TM.47 every 90 days unless you can extend for one year. It is not just a visit to immigration every 90 days. Visa only allows a 90 day stay and even if you had a multi entry visa you would have to leave the country every 90 days or less.

It is not clear exactly what visa the OP currently has.

I am very much aware of this yes, thank you

But before even going to immigration I need the MOE letter, don't I ?

I am very much aware of this yes, thank you

But before even going to immigration I need the MOE letter, don't I ?

What's an "MOE" letter when it's at home, please?

Not all of us are in possession of sufficiently reliable crystal balls which enable us to decipher cryptic abbreviations off our own bats.

They just called me and said they prefer cancelling, I asked for full refund they did not say anything.

Any knows what's the policy given the fact -if they can prove it- that they have been to the MOE and process my file

Do you know how much money they keep ?

Cheers

Sounds like they were going to bribe immigration to extend your visa. As they might not have the correct paperwork, or their course might not be officially recognised by the MoE. As this would explain why they won't give you the documents (Because they don't have them).

Of course that's just speculation, but I assume you'd probably come to the same conclusions yourself.

As for what to do.... try and sort it out with the school to either process your visa (You seem like you know what the costs should be for your visa type, if you're unsure just explain a little more about your current visa situation and people can give you the costs), or to give you a refund. As resolving the issue with them will be a lot less hassle than bringing in a third party.

If they won't give you a refund, then I assume you'd need to contact the police, although there may be a more relevant government department, I'm not sure.

Also as a quick reminder, naming and shaming is against the forum rules. So please, even if forum members ask for the name of the school, please don't post it, as there can be legal repercussions for Thai Visa (Although messaging them via pm is fine).

• Like 1

Actually sounds more as if they were going to use the 8k (4k) for the required 90 day extensions of stay as a service - do not believe any false extension would be issued for any such sum.

But if the OP does not want or require such a "service" why is he seemingly refused the paperwork necessary to secure his own extension ?

Sounds like they were going to bribe immigration to extend your visa. As they might not have the correct paperwork, or their course might not be officially recognised by the MoE. As this would explain why they won't give you the documents (Because they don't have them).

Of course that's just speculation, but I assume you'd probably come to the same conclusions yourself.

As for what to do.... try and sort it out with the school to either process your visa (You seem like you know what the costs should be for your visa type, if you're unsure just explain a little more about your current visa situation and people can give you the costs), or to give you a refund. As resolving the issue with them will be a lot less hassle than bringing in a third party.

If they won't give you a refund, then I assume you'd need to contact the police, although there may be a more relevant government department, I'm not sure.

Also as a quick reminder, naming and shaming is against the forum rules. So please, even if forum members ask for the name of the school, please don't post it, as there can be legal repercussions for Thai Visa (Although messaging them via pm is fine).

Thank you very much for this very detailed and constructive answer :

Here the plot thickens : After calling me 5 times this morning to extort money from me, they called my previous school to ask why I have left them.

I just received a call from the lady of my ex school telling me she just been contacted by them !blink.png

Fortunately she was not able to give them any info about me.

It seems that they are digging for dirt and starting the naming and shaming on their side !

I really hope I will be able to get my refund tomorrow ...

And YES I will be more than wiling to give the school name by PM to anyone who ask ! Please do contact me before you get conned too !

Edited by SlyAnimal
Clue to school's identity removed - As it's better to be safe than sorry :) *Also removed your triple post

What's an "MOE" letter when it's at home, please?

Not all of us are in possession of sufficiently reliable crystal balls which enable us to decipher cryptic abbreviations off our own bats.

Balls not always needed. Brain in gear, yes is needed.

Scam 100%

I study in really legit school, which is recognized not only by MOE, but at nearest consulates... Maybe because people going to study really, cos one year costs approx 75000 baht...

The documents processing in MOE costs 2000 THB.

Looks like you now on ED visa, which is not cancelled yet. Then, you need letter from previous school about study finished with them and also paperworks from new school, so you can go yourself to immigration and just switch schools while stay on the same ED. Then, looks like they not able to give you anything from MOE and just want to make non-legin extension of stay. Try obtain refund from them and look for another school.