Bangkok family turns to internet for help after alleged death threats

webfact

Bangkok family turns to internet for help after alleged death threats
By Coconuts Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Claiming to have been rebuffed by the police, a terrified Bangkok family has turned to the Internet for help after allegedly receiving terrible threats from a neighbor.

In a post yesterday on Pantip.com, Sureerat Panprom claims her Paholyothin family has been assaulted and threatened by a 20-year-old man who lives in the same soi.

Although none of her claims are substantiated at this time, she said the man went so far as to attempt to rape her 16-year-old niece before threatening on Sunday to murder everyone in the family and burn their house.

What seems most shocking about this alleged incident are Sureerat’s claims that her request for help from police in the Sai Mai district were ignored. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/10/16/bangkok-family-turns-internet-help-after-alleged-death-threats

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-10-16

Why doesn't he buy a gun? I am anti guns but it is clear police is not going to protect him or his family, and it looks the worst it can happen to him (based on the news) is he being forced to shoot the aggressor dead and paying 1 or 2 million to the family. I certainly wouldn't be waiting for a crazy guy to attack or kill me or any in my family when life is so cheap over here and in many cases the killer doesn't even enter jail...

I guess you have to pay the police separately to do there jobs, I had a Thai builder go after me for criticizing him for making the road on our Soi a mess after my maintaining the road for 20+ years, when threaten by him and his crew I called the Phuket police they refused to help maybe I should have said I will give you a 100,000 baht to come but know they told me to call the Tourist police

I then called the Tourist police they also refused to help. I ask you what is the job of the police but to protect the public. If we have to arm our selves because law enforcement refuses to do there jobs so be it.

Lucky my Thai wife came and defused the situation

The Canadian embassy asked me to help the Tourist police I refused as the Tourist police are next to useless.

Law enforcement in this country is a joke ! I suggest that those who can get weapons and keep them in your homes.

I have lived here 30+ years I have seen alot. You make a Thai person mad they usually come after you with weapons I was at Karon beach 30 years ago and I moved my rented umbrella the umbrella boy came after me and tried to hit me with the 1/2 meter steel peg they hold the umbrellas in the sand. I am now 72 years of age and i don't move as fast as I used to. I escaped that day from being hit over the head by my fast feet . What do you do when your older.

If we are going to live in this country we need to organize as we have no rights we are like pieces of shit to many of these people. We need neighborhood muscle groups to help each other in time of danger.

Our governments and embassies are useless they have no power and the Thai's don't listen to them.

Either that or need need our own private police force but I am afraid they wouldn't be able to respond fast enough and there would not be enough of them.

Bit of a rant there capt canuk?

You been here 30+ years, you should KNOW that the police of any ilk in LOS need some financial incentive to do their jobs, regardless of how serious the matter is.

I guess you have to pay the police separately to do there jobs, I had a Thai builder go after me for criticizing him for making the road on our Soi a mess after my maintaining the road for 20+ years, when threaten by him and his crew I called the Phuket police they refused to help maybe I should have said I will give you a 100,000 baht to come but know they told me to call the Tourist police

I then called the Tourist police they also refused to help. I ask you what is the job of the police but to protect the public. If we have to arm our selves because law enforcement refuses to do there jobs so be it.

The Canadian embassy asked me to help the Tourist police I refused as the Tourist police are next to useless.

Law enforcement in this country is a joke ! I suggest that those who can get weapons and keep them in your homes.

I have lived here 30+ years I have seen alot. You make a Thai person mad they usually come after you with weapons I was at Karon beach 30 years ago and I moved my rented umbrella the umbrella boy came after me and tried to hit me with the 1/2 meter steel peg they hold the umbrellas in the sand. I am now 72 years of age and i don't move as fast as I used to. I escaped that day from being hit over the head by my fast feet . What do you do when your older.

If we are going to live in this country we need to organize as we have no rights we are like pieces of shit to many of these people. We need neighborhood muscle groups to help each other in time of danger.

Our governments and embassies are useless they have no power and the Thai's don't listen to them.

Either that or need need our own private police force but I am afraid they wouldn't be able to respond fast enough and there would not be enough of them.

You been here 30+ years, you should KNOW that the police of any ilk in LOS need some financial incentive to do their jobs, regardless of how serious the matter is.

Obviously you have never had a problem here and called the police but what I said was true you showed your lack of knowledge when you make a phone to the police even if you speak Thai the minute they hear the foreign accent they tell you to call Tourist police and hang up you have no time to tell them you will pay them to come to assist you.

Obviously you have never had a problem here and called the police but what I said was true you showed your lack of knowledge when you make a phone to the police even if you speak Thai the minute they hear the foreign accent they tell you to call Tourist police and hang up you have no time to tell them you will pay them to come to assist you.

Bottom line is ... don't get into squabbles with the neighbors.

• Like 1

What many of the readers will not know is the extent of this problem. I know two families who have been threatened with death and kidnap of their children where they have done nothing wrong except being the target of criminals after their assets. These threats are real and you will read many stories of foreigners being killed for quite small amounts of money as well as larger amounts.

The police are at best completely disinterested and at worst involved in the scamming. The fact that a person chooses to challenge the theft and fraud is enough to start the threats and worse.

This is not one or two people - there are dozens, probably hundreds. You might wonder why you don't hear about them all - well if you go to the press then you expose yourself and also upset the judicial apple cart so the advice is always to keep quiet and not to make Thailand look bad because it will not help you. You might also be threatened or you might find the editors less than keen to publish the story because of pressure from officials tripping over themselves to keep the face of Thailand. Even more to the point these people are SCARED because they know there is no support anywhere.

So whilst sitting reading this thinking you are safe and it wouldn't happen to you - well I can tell you the people affected are not all idiots, some are careful and intelligent with professional backgrounds.

If someone chooses to target you because they want what you have got then there is little you can do and no help to be had anywhere - least of all from the police and the embassy - the former often involved and the latter completely benign for fear of damaging some business interests - though those business interests might well be the victims in the future.

It is scary. Don't be too complacent!

Edited by timewilltell

I would say it is safe to presume you cannot count on the police for anything beneficial in this country. They are almost completely ineffective, incompetent, indifferent, and unconcerned. Do not even begin to assume there is any connection between public safety and the police, nor their desire to help. Just act on your own. It is an unfortunate truth, but what can you say. Nearly every occasion where a foreigner calls the police, or gets them involved, it does not end well for the foreigner. I suppose the Thais suffer from much the same fate, when it comes to these men in brown.

I think the posters idea about foreigners organizing is a very good one. Perhaps it would give us some power or influence, which we seem to have very little of here. Fortunately, it seems that the absolute fools like the ones mentioned here are a relatively small number, but they seem to be extreme in some of their actions, especially when you consider the tiny actions that prompt them to react in this extreme manner. Most of them are all bluster, but I am sure some of them are willing to take action. There is no easy solution to this, but perhaps some of us need to take action into our own hands from time to time. With great prudence of course, but action nonetheless.

Very horrible situation to be in, easier said than done, but sounds like some has to be swept under the ground especially if the police are not assisting, I have a daughter and I hope/I m sure if Igot threats, especially about raping my daughter, this I could not except

Is the neighbour possibly a BIB, or related to a BIB?

That's my guess. They probably cruised by his house and checked out what kind of stickers he had on his car. I am lucky enough to have some significant and real stickers on my car and the cops, once seeing them, most often just walk away. :)

We also don't know what the family may have done to provoke this (or not). Hard to think just out of the blue he would start terrorizing them without a preamble, though I guess that is possible.

This is one of the reasons why I am seriously concidering leaving Thailand after 8 years of being here and working legaly! I stay away from anything illegal and I try to avoid any problems but if something hapens to me or my familly I know there will be no one to help us! It seems like you don't need to look for problems, they will find you! And then?

It is bad for Thai but just worse for ofreigners who are here just to be milked!

I don't feel safe here anymore, and when I say safe, it is not just about being attacked on the street, it is about what the government is doing to make us feel unwelcomed!

• Like 2

That's my guess. They probably cruised by his house and checked out what kind of stickers he had on his car. I am lucky enough to have some significant and real stickers on my car and the cops, once seeing them, most often just walk away. smile.png

We also don't know what the family may have done to provoke this (or not). Hard to think just out of the blue he would start terrorizing them without a preamble, though I guess that is possible.

Nothing the familly could have made would justify to threaten to rape a 16 years old girl!

Now another 20 year old sweetie. I wouldn't enter any argument or fight with him. I would just make sure he understands that one more threat or anything similar and all the things that he proposed previously are going to happen to him.

Unfortunately I think the only way to get the BIB to start doing their jobs is for us falangs to use our camera phones cameras, etc and upload the footage to several media sights after phoning the BIB and the local newspaper radio, of your intensions, record the phone call to the police also and get the officers name,

and make it known that this will happen again and again and again, just try not to be seen by the BIB filming them standing by while someone is being beaten.

In other words global embarrassment.

As the OP said, the police told her Citizens need to help themselves,

I had an office on the first floor of a large white building on soi 19 for 8 years, before that I was smack in the middle of the city complex.

I had these young uns fresh from the village that work as hands for so many cargo haulage businesses around me. One of them assaulted a client of mine. He was blocking the passage way and he only attempted o get by him.

I went to the railway line behind the pratunam market, got a few boys I know from pool parlors. They came wooped his arse for like 10minutes then bought him to my office where on his knees he apologized to the gentleman he assaulted.

Why bother the BIB. With their tight uniform they can't do anything strenuous.

That's my guess. They probably cruised by his house and checked out what kind of stickers he had on his car. I am lucky enough to have some significant and real stickers on my car and the cops, once seeing them, most often just walk away. smile.png

What kinds of stickers are you referring to? Is it possible for me to purchase some of these stickers? I do not need them to be real. Any ideas?