Bangkok Immigration arrest African scam gang

webfact

Immigration Bureau Arrest African Scam Gang

n24.jpg
Police officers of the Immigration Bureau were able to arrest a gang of African males who tricked Thai people several times, in several ways.

BANGKOK – October 16, 2013 [PDN]; At the HQ of the Immigration Bureau, officers held a press conference regarding the arrest of 8 males from Africa and Asia who were arrested on 4 criminal cases.

Amongst the arrested suspects were people from Liberia, Cameroon, South Korea and Thailand.

The 4 criminals included a furniture, black money, marriage and employment scams. It was announced that the suspects were arrested between the October 5 to 15. Most arrests took place in Bangkok, as most of the criminals were committing their crimes in Bangkok.

Police will now further question them, they’ll also be appropriately charged.

Source: http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/10/16/immigration-bureau-arrest-african-scam-gang/

-- Pattaya Daily News 2013-10-16

coffee1.gif the reason why do people hate those kind of race...tsk..tsk..tsk... when they say african or nigerian or as long as its black, its automatically raise a red flag... I pity those who are good blacks out there

the idiom "the pot calling the kettle black" springs to mind ....... there is good and bad in every culture. having worked 8 years in thailand and 5 years in east africa, i'd place my trust in kenyans/tanzanians before thais TBH.

maybe the headline should have read "asians and black accomplices scam innocent thais "?

These kind of scams pray on the greedy and the stupid ,you would think

people would be aware of all these scams by now, but no, they still manage

to find victims ,and thats what i find amazing, just remember if if sounds too

good to be true, its not!

regards Worgeordie

Completely agree.

"Amongst the arrested suspects were people from Liberia, Cameroon, South Korea and Thailand."

An African scam gang. With the above nationalities involved, how did they get exempted?

Not all of them were "exempted", Liberia and Cameroon are African countries.

Perhaps it was an African gang that employed Thais and S. Koreans.

just remember if if sounds too

regards Worgeordie

Completely agree.

If you really agree with that then you are a perfect target for scammers. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

• Like 2

With all the stealing and scamming that goes on in let's say Phuket alone, why the hell is this news ? Stealing here is a national pastime along with many visits to the local wat to give money and beg for good luck which translates as getting free money you don't have to work for. it's in the national mentality . sad but true.

• Like 2

I want to learn Thai. From the way the article is written, I'm lead to think that in Thai is Ok to say

"The 4 criminals included a furniture,"

Instead of

"The activities of the four criminals included a furniture"

Wonder why Western languages so complicated.

just remember if if sounds too

regards Worgeordie

Completely agree.

If you really agree with that then you are a perfect target for scammers. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

I thought that at first, but it could make sense in that he is saying its not true. I say "it is" but "it's not" can work as well.

coffee1.gif the reason why do people hate those kind of race...tsk..tsk..tsk... when they say african or nigerian or as long as its black, its automatically raise a red flag... I pity those who are good blacks out there

You were the first to use the word 'black' in the thread.

These kind of scams pray on the greedy and the stupid ,you would think

people would be aware of all these scams by now, but no, they still manage

to find victims ,and thats what i find amazing, just remember if if sounds too

regards Worgeordie

Oil and gold were the main African scams. Quite a few prominent names and society's in New Zealand fell for them. There is a site, go through google punch in scams it will tell you about all the world scams. I do not feel sorry for the people who fall for them just greed.

the idiom "the pot calling the kettle black" springs to mind ....... there is good and bad in every culture. having worked 8 years in thailand and 5 years in east africa, i'd place my trust in kenyans/tanzanians before thais TBH.

maybe the headline should have read "asians and black accomplices scam innocent thais "?

Or even " Africans and Asian" accomplices scan innocent victims". The story doesn't specify who the nationality of victims nor who the leader is.

Good golly not another scam in Bangkok it becoming a bit of a hub for this sort of thing! How do you trick a Thai out of money, they are after all, very well educated.

These scams go on all over the world, with some very clever well educated people also falling for them. They are not always so obvious as you think, even to a well educated worldly wise sharp traveler like your good self.

Check out Youtube - the Aussie wealthy business man who got ripped off by farangs in Chiang Mai is a good one. Plenty more. Or talk to any fraud squad police officer.

The frightening thing is that social media now allows these gangs to spread the latest scams quickly.

The furniture scam is a subset of the online selling scams -- you auction something, they buy it and fake an eBay or PayPal payment confirmation. You ship the item and it's gone.
These kind of scams pray on the greedy and the stupid ,you would think people would be aware of all these scams by now.
You should be a bit careful with that kind of blanket condemnation.
Nigerian scammers set up fake charity websites after the 2004 Asian tsunami to collect donations, some of which were very professionally done. I wouldn't characterise people who fell for that as greedy or stupid. Part of the problem was that, back then, Internet hosts were utterly irresponsible as to who was getting up to what on their service.
The mindset of the Nigerians in particular, is that every tragedy is a money-making opportunity for them, even if, as in the 2004 tsunami case, it means taking money away from traumatized victims of horrible disasters. They don't care a fig for anyone else, rich or poor.
More information at Scamwarners.
  • Like 1