Suvarnabhumi Airport well-prepared for floods

webfact

Suvarnabhumi Airport well-prepared for floods
By English News

13819748987170.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 17 – Suvarnabhumi Airport has been on 24-hour alert for floods and the anti-flood dyke around the airport has been checked regularly to prevent inundation of the facility, according to the Airport of Thailand (AoT).

Rawewan Netrakavesna, general manager of Suvarnabhumi Airport, said the airport is surrounded by a 23.5-kilometre dyke at 3.5 metres in height and three metres in width. The base of the dyke is 37 metres wide.

Airport officials have checked the strength of the dyke to ensure that it could resist flooding while water level in canals around the airport and the sluice gate have been closely checked, she said.

She said six reservoirs around Suvarnabhumi Airport could retain four million cubic metres of water and the water level has been maintained at 1.5 metres from mean sea level, adding that the reservoirs could still receive three million cubic metres more.

The airport has two pump stations, on the southeastern and southwestern sides, each equipped with four pumps with a combined drainage capacity at 12 cubic metres/second, she added.

She reaffirmed the airport has prepared a contingency plan to cope with any emergency. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-10-17

Just another face-promoting headline catcher, in order to claim Bangkok is safe from flooding. Suvarnabumi another International FACE value of Thailand, of course they have to create a positive image to delude the International Tourism ONLY Tourism image.

And let's repeat again, what is Thailand's main objective to create International FACE image???

• Like 2

No expense will be spared saving swampy airport from the floods. Take out tourism and Thailand's economy is flushed down the lav.

The provincial Thais will have to suffer.

Interesting to see if these rains continue into November which is bad news for BKK.

I stayed in BKK during the great flood of Nov 2011.....not one drop of rain fell in that month as far as i can recall.

If it had i would of been swimming for my supper in Thonburi.

Suvarnabhumi braces for future flooding

BANGKOK, 17 Oct 2013 (NNT) – Suvarnabhumi International Airport is bracing itself for floods. Airport officials have been ordered to monitor the situation around the clock.

According to Suvarnabhumi Airport’s Director Raweewan Netarakavesana, airport officers have been closely monitoring the flood situation, especially during the storm season, so that its service does not get interrupted. She said Suvarnabhumi has already drawn up strict measures and provided guidelines to all airport officers in case of emergency.

Not only has the airport devised internal measures to tackle floods, it has also erected a flood barrier 23.5-kilometer-long and 3-meter-wide outside the perimeter to keep the water at bay.

A number of officers have been assigned to regularly monitor the water levels in canals and sluice gates surrounding the area to prevent floods, added the director.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-10-17 footer_n.gif

One would hope that old swampy can handle any sort of flood, being a pretty modern sort of structure and the like. however Pisico hits the nail right on the head , what about egress and aggress, all very well having dry run ways, what about the small matter of getting there, getting back home or wherever, especially the ring road from the north , conclusion, flood control mitigation is a failure, just like the PTP administration , to be fair the dems haven't shown any leadership on this subject either,coffee1.gif so poor old Thailand floods once again.coffee1.gif

i wouldn't be overly concerned about the water I or we could see, Lad Krabang area was part of the old flood plain thus surface water is to be expected to a degree even now.

Where the problems might well come to surface is from underground, there were many little watercourses in the swamp that the airport has been built on.

Now unless these little watercourses were dealt with during the construction groundwork's and channeled into a system of drainage pipes so as the water would and could be drained away from the area remains to be seen.

If nothing was or has been done to deal with the drainage problems slowly but surely those watercourses will find their way to rise to the surface and escape, sink holes could be the first sign of coming problems followed by later subsidence of the ground surface due to the eroding action of the water flow.

If the ground subsidence is in the green grass areas fine but are or will the runways be safe along with the actual terminal buildings from underground water actions?

Time alone will tell as the process would wil indeed be a slow one, however the damage would be immense.

Perhaps a decent geophysical exploration exercise might well be money well spent to ascertain if the unseen underground water is a creeping problem or not ?

Water is unbeatable unless we can channel it and drain it and thus control it we cannot defeat its actions water always finds its own level and its own way.

Edited by siampolee

i wouldn't be overly concerned about the water I or we could see, Lad Krabang area was part of the old flood plain thus surface water is to be expected to a degree even now.

Where the problems might well come to surface is from underground, there were many little watercourses in the swamp that the airport has been built on.

Now unless these little watercourses were dealt with during the construction groundwork's and channeled into a system of drainage pipes so as the water would and could be drained away from the area remains to be seen.

If nothing was or has been done to deal with the drainage problems slowly but surely those watercourses will find their way to rise to the surface and escape, sink holes could be the first sign of coming problems followed by later subsidence of the ground surface due to the eroding action of the water flow.

If the ground subsidence is in the green grass areas fine but are or will the runways be safe along with the actual terminal buildings from underground water actions?

Time alone will tell as the process would wil indeed be a slow one, however the damage would be immense.

Perhaps a decent geophysical exploration exercise might well be money well spent to ascertain if the unseen underground water is a creeping problem or not ?

Water is unbeatable unless we can channel it and drain it and thus control it we cannot defeat its actions water always finds its own level and its own way.

I get what you mean, so in short, when a ton-heavy plane lands on the ground, the ground will crack open and the plane will sink into the crackiong ground, aight??? wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

Edited by MaxLee

I get what you mean, so in short, when a ton-heavy plane lands on the ground, the ground will crack open and the plane will sink into the crackiong ground, aight??? wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif

In easy terms ..yes guvnor the plane'll end up in a dirtybig 'ole it'll rattle the fillins in the passengers teef toocheesy.gif

I get what you mean, so in short, when a ton-heavy plane lands on the ground, the ground will crack open and the plane will sink into the crackiong ground, aight??? wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif

In easy terms ..yes guvnor the plane'll end up in a dirtybig 'ole it'll rattle the fillins in the passengers teef toocheesy.gif

Was that what they tested a couple of months ago? clap2.gif

WOW I like this piece but I must confess my scepticism for all things good being built and put in place at the TIME OF CONSTRUCTION. I bet these guys didnt do a thing as a NEW ONE WILL "LOOK BWIGHTER AND MORE WUVERLY and betterer than old Airport and we have many old nasty poor houses we can take for that" in a few years when dammages start to appear. Have you ever sdeen a rush on OLD properties here in Thailand?????

"Suvarnabhumi Airport well-prepared for floods"

By English News

Great!!!

Small detail: access to the airport and egress from it, also safe and open to all vehicles in the event of a flood?

Think the jet-ski boys are on their way up from Pattaya to take care of that tongue.png

All is well ... unless it rains inside the dyked area.

Actual rainfall on the airport is of minimal concern. Evidently you do not understand that flooding would be caused by accumulated rainfall from the surrounding area flowing into the airport. The purpose of the dykes is to prevent this.