Patong's flood problem largely solved by 2014, Phuket Governor says

webfact

Patong's flood problem largely solved by 2014, Phuket Governor says
Phuket Gazette

pflo.jpg
Gov Maitri (pink shirt) and Kathu District Chief Veera, both pointing, during the tour of flood-prone areas of Patong on Tuesday. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Patong’s flood problems will be 85 to 90 per cent solved by the middle of next year, Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut predicted this week.

In addition to the 19 million baht gate that will be added to the canal at the south end of Patong, (story here), 9.7 million baht in funds have been requested to dredge the Pak Bang Canal, he reported during a tour of flood-prone areas in Patong on Tuesday.

“About five points in the canal, a total of 2.6km, will be dredged,” he said, adding that the Phuket office of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation had already applied for the funds.

“That project will be done by March 2014,” Governor Maitri said.

The chronic floods at Patong Police Station and Patong Hospital will also come to an end, he predicted.

“We’ve given the problem a lot of discussion,” he said. “The solution for this particular area is to install one more set of drains,” Governor Maitri said.

He noted that about 30 meters of the proposed drainage system was on private property, and that Patong Municipality would need to contact the owner to get permission before work could commence.

While on the topic of drains, the Governor vowed that Phang Muang Sai Kor Road, with drains along both sides of it, would be finished by March 2014.

Though the Governor said that the planned measures should be able to control most future flooding, he added a caveat: “It still depends on the rain. And people need to stop throwing trash into the canals, because it blocks the waterway.”

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Patong-s-flood-problem-largely-solved-by-2014-Phuket-Governor-says-22520.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-10-17

I just have to laugh at this. The so called new road has been raised up at least 1 meter higher, sure it won't flood but what about all those nearly new building along the road that are now lower than the road. No wonder the Patong police station floods as it too is much lower than the new road. Piss Poor Planning ....

• Like 1

I love how budgets for projects are 2-3 times bigger than in the west where proper wages, insurance, safety barriers, law and regulations are in effect. Hmm, 19 million here, 9.7million there, 10 million for a phuket city sign, 20 million for a "permanent" repair of a landslip area etc. No wonder everyone wants a low paying high ranking civil servant job.

" he added a caveat: “It still depends on the rain"

But i can guarentee 100% that if it doesn't rain, we will not have flooding..jing jing!![he means]

Like LIK says ..the Soi Tan road is now higher in places than the buildings entrances...there are drains installed, i know, but when they fill [as they do] new businesses will definately flood...

Bizzare!!!

Edited by andreandre

• 2 weeks later...

I just have to laugh at this. The so called new road has been raised up at least 1 meter higher, sure it won't flood but what about all those nearly new building along the road that are now lower than the road. No wonder the Patong police station floods as it too is much lower than the new road. Piss Poor Planning ....

Stupidty, graft and greed know no bounds here in Patong, and the state of the roads encapsulates them all.

The end of Soi Sainamyen, outside of Patong hospital was flooded late last night to a depth of around 40cm and most alarmingly the water was literally a torrent heading towards Rat-u-Thid road.

The brilliant minds who devised the raising of the "middle road" and its supposed solution to the flooding have succeeded in diverting the water elsewhere............and guess what, those drains which couldn't cope with normal rainflows, now have no chance with this increased volume!!

And as if to support the stupidity side of the statement, where were the minds of the small gang of workers who yesterday decided to fill a very large hole, outside of the back of Jungceylon, with mud!! After a short while the hole reappeared due to traffic compacting the mud, and the excess mud, of which there was a huge amount, was spread over a very large area, some 10cm thick and extremely dangerous for those on scooters!

Patong's flood problem largely solved by 2014, Phuket Governor says......

And the runway for the "flying pigs" will be completed at the same time!!

The runway will be closed the day after it opens due to subsidence, cracks in the runway and the sudden appeaeance of unusual wealth in local politicians bank accounts.

• Like 1

What a disaster that new road has become. For about a month it has been blocked from the south end for road works. Today I paid my TOT phone bill and tried my luck from the north end. Blocked at Banzan, have to turn down Sansabai. Looking in the distance it is blocked at JJ Plaza. Here we are a few days from high season. All the diverted traffic along Nanai is causing traffic jams. I have to agree with the Patong critics - what a sh..hole.

• Like 2

When you think back how long the Jungceylon has been opened we first of all had a track with built in potholes, then Hotels sprung up along it, then constant repairs on the track big lakes everytime it rains and they are still building a new road i hope the finish it before the tourists decamp elsewhere.