Gold a better bet right now?

difficult to compare - totally different animals

if the risk/return on cash deposits doesn't work for you - think about allocating some of your assets elsewhere

(which may/ may not include commodities, which may/ may not include gold)

I just reduced my exposure to gold, not because I dont think it has a future, but because I think that future is longer/ medium term and I didnt want to tie up captial waiting for the inevitable rise when it could be better put to work elsewhere. Gold is very unpredictable right now and is yet to find a solid base. I expect now that now the American congress have passed the supply bill and that quantitative easing will not be tapered in the short term and some common sense and stability have returned that the major equity markets will do very nicely over the next quarter. There are good signs all round the world, particularly in China.

Good managed, diversified investments are returning 8-12% now and that should jump in the next few months.

So that is why I wouldnt be buying gold right now unless you are looking into the longer term-hope that is helpful.

• Like 1

http://asia.deposits.org/

Interesting site, gives rates around Asia for term deposits

good luck with your money in Mongolia or Bangladesh or Sri Lanka...I would rather spend my money now than give it away to these institutions on the verge of bankruptcy. If you have a tidy sum, go see an upright, professional investment firm who will advise you to diversify in stable countries in equities and performing managed funds is my advice.

http://asia.deposits.org/

Interesting site, gives rates around Asia for term deposits

good luck with your money in Mongolia or Bangladesh or Sri Lanka...I would rather spend my money now than give it away to these institutions on the verge of bankruptcy. If you have a tidy sum, go see an upright, professional investment firm who will advise you to diversify in stable countries in equities and performing managed funds is my advice.

It was neither recommendation nor suggestion, it was merely a site I felt may be of interest of whats happening around the Asian region. Although Vietnam was of possible interest to me.

There are other countries nearby that pay well over your mentioned 3% savings earnings for fixed account. Currently 9% on a 12 month

Would you mind giving examples?

Prasac in Cambodia is paying 9.75% for a 12 month term deposit in Riel, 8.5% in Thai Baht and (either) 8 or 8.5% in USD.

There are other countries nearby that pay well over your mentioned 3% savings earnings for fixed account. Currently 9% on a 12 month

Prasac in Cambodia is paying 9.75% for a 12 month term deposit in Riel, 8.5% in Thai Baht and (either) 8 or 8.5% in USD.

This might be quite interesting considering the fixed tie between riel and dollar, with the option to change to dollar anytime. Anyway, the reliability of the banks in there is another question.

Gold isn’t like a stock, a bond or savings. It offers no income, no dividend and no earnings. It is considered a store of value , but it is not cash in the bank or even the mattress. Gold has no untapped intrinsic value; it is worth only what people are willing to pay for it. After soaring for years, it has plummeted in 2013.

People who turn to gold tend to be "overly concerned" about catastrophe. Putting a large portion of one's wealth into gold would therefore mean sitting on the sidelines waiting for an unlikely event while other assets, such as stocks, produced better long-term returns.

If your asking this question, you're woefully uninformed. Gold is a terrible investment as proven this year. There is absolutely no reason to think gold won't go substantially lower.

If you don't know what you're doing, put it in the bank. Many Thai banks are offering 3%, which sucks but it's better than gold.

I have my savings in the US, in high yield (junk) bonds, Bank Loans and Business Development Companies (BDC). I earn an average of 8% from dividends and the equities grow in value so I average 12%+. Warning:

Don't invest in anything you don't understand. If you're in LOS, there are stock brokers who can give you advice for all kinds of investments. Check here on TV for recommendations. How much risk are you willing to take will determine your returns. Good luck.

• Like 2

Gold isn’t like a stock, a bond or savings. It offers no income, no dividend and no earnings. It is considered a store of value , but it is not cash in the bank or even the mattress. Gold has no untapped intrinsic value; it is worth only what people are willing to pay for it. After soaring for years, it has plummeted in 2013.

People who turn to gold tend to be "overly concerned" about catastrophe. Putting a large portion of one's wealth into gold would therefore mean sitting on the sidelines waiting for an unlikely event while other assets, such as stocks, produced better long-term returns.

If your asking this question, you're woefully uninformed. Gold is a terrible investment as proven this year. There is absolutely no reason to think gold won't go substantially lower.

If you don't know what you're doing, put it in the bank. Many Thai banks are offering 3%, which sucks but it's better than gold.

I have my savings in the US, in high yield (junk) bonds, Bank Loans and Business Development Companies (BDC). I earn an average of 8% from dividends and the equities grow in value so I average 12%+. Warning:

Don't invest in anything you don't understand. If you're in LOS, there are stock brokers who can give you advice for all kinds of investments. Check here on TV for recommendations. How much risk are you willing to take will determine your returns. Good luck.

if anyone is really worried about catastrophe, they would be better to invest in bottled water, tinned food, a knife, and maybe a gun

investing in gold makes sense for people who believe the market price will increase in the short/medium term, and have the necessary diversity in their portfolio to cover the opportunity cost of not investing in cash yielding assets while they wait for the gold price to increase

it is certainly not a substitute product for a cash deposit account

If they are paying some 9% and then giving loans to communities, then how much are these communities getting screwed for?

Will they pay the extortionate interest rate pus capital?

a. I would not feel comfortable taking part in this business.

b. Sounds like at some point more than a few people will be taking a haircut. Around the neck.

If it sounds to good to be true, then it probably is.

• Like 1

FWIW (ie free advice is worth every penny)

I have reduced my bullion gold and silver holdings to almost zero (the GF still has a few bits and pieces).

For the time being they have served their purpose and now I am sitting on the sidelines. I expect both to fall over the next year or so. But that is only my opinion, worth absolutely nothing.

But as a poster above stated. you simply cannot compare an investment in a commodity to a deposit account.