Sick of waiting for city action, Pattaya Beach vendors take own flood-control steps

Rimmer

Sick of waiting for city action, Pattaya Beach vendors take own flood-control steps

n7Sand-1.jpg

PATTAYA:--Pattaya beach chair vendors are sick of waiting for city officials to solve Pattaya’s flooding problem and have begun blocking off the beach themselves to prevent erosion.

Sandbags line the sidewalk on Beach Road from Mike Shopping Mall to the Dusit Curve in hopes of blocking street flooding from flowing onto the sand and gouging deep holes where the vendors make their livings.

While understandable, the appropriation of public property is illegal. It’s also short-sighted in a couple of ways. For starters, vendors left gaps in the sandbags to let tourists cross, but also lets water through. Second, the sandbags block the natural route for flood water to return to the sea and only worsen flood damage for those on the other side of the sandbags.

Full story:http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/sick-of-waiting-for-city-action-pattaya-beach-vendors-take-own-flood-control-steps-31195

pattayamaillogo.png

-- Pattaya Mail 2013-10-18 footer_n.gif

I saw pictures of the damages to the beach by the rains from a few weeks ago.

These bags are not going to stop the water storming down the sois between Second road and Beach Road to the sea.

The bags will be gone in no-time.

The disintegrating sandbags add to the slum effect the umbrella vendors have long established.

Well, the beach walkway isn't going to win any design awards.

Too bad. It could have been nice.

I envision a meandering walkway with shade trees, gardens and benches...

I think I know where they got all the sand to fill those sandbags! Actually, the sandbags in this photo look a bit pointless. The horse has already bolted.

The City should hold the project manager for the mess up.

Shoddy planning and sub standard workmanship costing the City big bucks.

Sandbags work in other areas . BUT the drainage has a lot of competency behind it & are for Unusual circumstances NOT the collapsing lack of Infrastructure that Pattaya suffers.

I have been dodging Floodwaters when we stay there for 25+ years

It's just one of the many conditions that regularly exist

coffee1.gif