Washing Machine

jdf1

Need advice on buying washing machine,my wife wants machine with two drum's, but I think

they look very cheaply made.

What is a good brand to buy ? is single drum the way to go, to me beats having to take clothes

out of first drum, then but in spin drum!

Most of the local machines are the "twin tub" style, and yes they are very flimsy, but what do you expect for four to six thousand baht? If you want something that is not going to have pieces falling off it in a few months, go for a "brand name" imported machine. Single tub,combined spinner, and yes, expensive too. It all depends on whether it's to wash clothes, or just to tell the neighbours that you have a washing machine :o

The two tub I believe saves in water/detergent (but never had one so not sure). They are the starter models for most people who as soon as they have the money get a single tub (wet cloths are not light to handle so 2 tub is a lot more work). Single tubs of Japanese and Chinese makes I am sure are actually often made in Thailand and of good quality. We have had several PAL/Candy models. And we average about three loads a day with extended family of 10. You do not have to pay much more for a single tub unless you are buying large units or paying for heaters and such that you really do not need.

Ask in the dept stores for a shop soiled, imported machine.

If it was marked up at 23000 you might get it for 13,000bt.

It's usually a few scratches that can be filled in with a duco pen or similar. :o

Front load to take 6-7kgs

Large top load, 6-7kgs, for duvets, doonas or continental quilts.

Ask in the dept stores for a shop soiled, imported machine.

If it was marked up at 23000 you might get it for 13,000bt.

It's usually a few scratches that can be filled in with a duco pen or similar. :o

Front load to take 6-7kgs

Large top load, 6-7kgs, for duvets, doonas or continental quilts.

While I often see this in the US I have never seen an appliance discounted here in Thailand for reasons other than being discontinued; and that is with the importer agreement. In fact I often find used/repaired/incomplete items for sale as new here. But perhaps the times they are a-changing and I have just not noticed (very likely).

Top loaders sold here are up to the 12kg or so size these days I do know.

I bough from central department a dryer and a washing machine ( brand Zanucchi ) after 6 years of use sometime i have problems with one or the other !

zanucchi brand is not on sale anymore in thailand , but electrolux is in charge of the repair and they did give me a very good service as price and professionalism !

if i need to get a new lots i will go for this reason to Electrolux brand .

I wanted a single tub combi like back home, the wife wanted a twin tub.

As she does most of the washing ( all ) i went with her.

I don,t know why but nearly all the locals preferrred a simple twin tub.

( Easy to repair and use i guess )

Local Thai wisdom said get an Hitachi ( not a Candy was the cry ) which i did.

( cold water operated by the way. )

Had it 4 years now touch wood and no mis haps up to now.

Simple to use and man friendly as well. ????????????????????????????????????????

It cost an amazing 7,000 and a bit and it was quite a bargain on performance.

The wife just told me that they are even less now according to an advert on the television.

At that price it could be thrown away and replaced by a new one after the warranty runs out.

Come on jdf1 tell the truth, it,s for you :o:D:D

marshbags :D:D:D

Do a search from about 6 months ago for more info .....

I went thru this last year.

Thais generally know and are familiar with the cheaper solutions; thus the preference for twin tub IMO/guess.

Major considerations; Price range, top vs side loader, Internal heater

Top loader handle larger loads

Side loaders save on water and detergent but usualy have longer cycles

Internal heaters not available on all models

We spent 25000 THB on an LG side loader with direct drive (no gears to wear out) and are very happy.

But .... I might buy a top loader next time for the shorter cycles and intangible feeling of a thorough cleaning from all that water sloshing around.

Edited by paulfr

Need advice on buying washing machine,my wife wants machine with two drum's, but I think

they look very cheaply made.

What is a good brand to buy ? is single drum the way to go, to me beats having to take clothes

out of first drum, then but in spin drum!

I have a Whirlpool , solid steel with a stainless basket . 10 kgs Very nice . Not cheap .

Im looking for one of those 700 baht dryers tho . :o

Local Thai wisdom said get an Hitachi ( not a Candy was the cry ) which i did.

( cold water operated by the way. )

Had it 4 years now touch wood and no mis haps up to now.

Simple to use and man friendly as well. ????????????????????????????????????????

marshbags :o:D:D

Same here, Hitachi Twin Tub, 6 thousand and something. Works fine. :D

Twin Tub washing machines usually have 2 motors...1 for washing & 1 for spin drying. Both motors are easily rewound/replaced along with the drive belts. Other components are electrical & usually consist of switches & an easily replaceable time clock. Mind you, if the clock fails, simply replace it with an on/off switch. A little more work is required to wash the clothes but they cheap, reliable & efficient.

The more modern electronic models are expensive to buy, expensive to repair & are not as reliable (they use only one motor for all). Even though they may come with a 5 year warranty, a breakdown can be traumatic. A mate of my'n was silly enough to go through 2 of these machines before he got wise & went for a twin tub. Both of the new machines had the all amazing 5 year warranties. Each machine suffered electronic problems. Of course, the supply & installation of the replacement part(s) was covered by warranty but he had to wait weeks for the part to arrive & then to be installed. Of course, he was unable to use the machine during this period.

The K.I.S.S. principle is required here. 'Over Engineering' of products is wasteful & expensive. A little 'elbow grease' & simplicity please.

Twin tubs have three advantages over automatics 1) They can be made cheaply 2) You can use the water in the wash tub for more than one wash (this is important if you are poor and you have to wash lots of nappies etc) 3)and the spinner spins clothes dryer than most automatics.

In the 50s early 60s my mum had a twin tub cos she was not 'rich' and had babies, ' rich' people had automatics.

Today as a pensioner she has an automatic, but she is not rich, technology has become more affordable in the west.

Thai people in general probably fall more into her earlier life category and have acquired the cultural habit of using twin tubs.

BUT, no modern day farang should countenance using such primitive devices unless convenience plays no part in the equation.