Thai Characters Showing up as blocks in Word 2011

st11x

Hi,

Background - Mountain Lion, Word 2011.

I can create a new document, type in some Thai characters, save it, all without any problems.

If I copied some Thai text from Mail and paste into Word, it would appear as blocks. If I paste the same into TextEdit or Sublime Text, no problems. If I copied the same text from TextEdit or Sublime Text into Word 2011, same blocks.

I have the same problem when I try to open a Word 2010 (Windows) document with Thai text in it.

Do you know what is happening and how to fix it ? I have all the fonts like Ayutthaya, Thonburi, Krungthep.

thanks

Matt

When I want to type Thai text in Word (Windows) I have to select the font Angsana New.

Thanks, I could type the Thai characters into Word without any problems. It only happens if I :

1. Copy and paste from another program - TextEdit, Sublime, Mail.
  2. Open a word document with Thai characters created by Word on Windows

Matt

I have had the same problem in Word 2010 with using the Alpha Zawgyi font for Burmese characters. When a friend sends me a document with Burmese characters and I open it, the Burmese characters are blocks in Arial Unicode IV. I convert it to Alpha Zawgyi and it looks fine. I save the document but when I reopen it, the characters have reverted to Arial Unicode IV. Tried numerous ways to overcome this problem but none worked. sad.png

When I want to type Thai text in Word (Windows) I have to select the font Angsana New.

Thanks, I could type the Thai characters into Word without any problems. It only happens if I :

1. Copy and paste from another program - TextEdit, Sublime, Mail.
  2. Open a word document with Thai characters created by Word on Windows

Matt

what if, you paste the text into Word, select the text you just pasted and change the font to the font you normally use to type Thai text with ?

what if, you paste the text into Word, select the text you just pasted and change the font to the font you normally use to type Thai text with ?

I realized that the fonts I thought supported Thai doesn't actually work either. They work for certain characters, but not others. However, I guess I am closer.

For example, I switched to the font Thonburi, I could type in some Thai characters, but as soon as I type the sequence "8 shift 6", it turns into 2 blocks.

The only font that would work is Microsoft San Serif. Tried with the fonts Krungthep and Ayuthaya, both have the same problem.

So yes, if I pasted the text and switched to Microsoft San Serif, it'll work. But it only works in this font, no the other fonts with Thai sounding names.

Wonder why those other fonts don't work for all characters?

Matt

I am not familiar with your Word version on the Mac, but it appears to be more if a coding issue. Try saving the text as a .txt file in any of the programs that does display all characters correctly. There should be the possibility to choose coding. Choose UTF8. Then open that in Word. It should prompt conversion box. Choose UTF8.

Alternatively change font to a Unicode font like arial Unicode before copy/paste.

Lastly you could try to install the Thai language pack for Word from MS site.

Good luck!

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Was just about to post the very same with the link to the file, then noticed you beat me to it.

Lammbock is right, add these fonts using the FONTBOOK application, and restart word. it works within 30 seconds.

also depending on what you want, you should consider adding both Thai Input Keyboard (sources), THAI and PATTACHOTE.

good luck.

Here is the solution. It really works! thumbsup.gif Credit to original poster.

- Expand the archive.
- Open Font Book application, select File->Add Fonts...
- Add the fonts in the expanded archive.
- Reopen Word 2011, then select the fonts that you just added. Thai will work now.