Thai teens arrested for battery after slapping elderly foreigner on the head with shoe

webfact

The physical assault itself was, in effect, merely a stupid harmless prank ...no damage done and understandably no action sought by the accosted party.

The fact that it was promoted to a large audience via social networking , who fully understand the unspoken disrespectful intent of the action , is the issue here.

That is the why the police have been seen to take it seriously . Had the kid thrown an egg at him or such, it would not have caused ,nor warranted such attention .

Schoolboy prank ,yes , but also a pre-meditated insult .

500bt fine ?, probably equates to his mobile phone bill for the month ,or a weekend playing in the internet café.

• Like 1

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought most falang married to western women were used to being hit on the head with shoes and slippers?

The Russians are farangs too. But the Thai local menfolk (including the police) don't mess with them either. They (Russians) also bring their own women to Thailand. For the most part, the Russians have absolutely nothing to do with Thai women, except maybe to hire them as daytime housekeepers and babysitters. Maybe the Russians know something that the rest of us don't know. CAPICHE?

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed. Stop using bold font when posting!

I hate this country more and more. Slapping an old foreigner cost only 500 B,

but if a foreigner do that with a Thai, he would get a jail term without probation

Thailand is getting worse.

It's the standard fine for Thai or foreigner for fighting. The foreigner might have visa problems , but the Thai wouldn't as they don't need one. Same, same.

Special request to TV management/web designers. In addition to the “like this” button would it be possible to add a couple more buttons? Perhaps “dislike this comment” “No big deal? How would you like to be slapped on the head with a shoe by a couple punks” “no problem, I often disrespected elders when I was a young boy in my country” and “<deleted>” button? It would save us all a lot of time on this thread and some other threads as well. Just a thought. Best regards!!!

"<deleted>" would be used for quotes like...

"So, let the kids go. Punish them, when they do really something wrong" Like kick an old man off his bike and stomp his guts out...then we should punish them!!!

I'm beginning to understand the reason why Thais believe we farangs are stupid people.

My native Son, it’s called sarcasm! The last bit was referring to post #176 which you commented on “nip it in the bud” My thoughts exactly! Take another look and then maybe you will understand why you sound…..

It ceases to amaze me the irresponsibility of Thai government officials. I guess they don't realise that their actions regarding these pathetic fines will only cause more teenagers like these idiots to engage in similar activity. 500 Baht really? I have to agree with other opinions here that this fine is almost as despicable as the action itself against this foreigner. Again this is a clear cut case of: Aww shucks I guess we better do something so we don't look pathetic to the rest of the general public. I guess it will take a foreigner to lay one of these idiots out and send him to the hospital before Thai officials take a more aggressive stance or they may just choose to go after the foreigners for simply defending themselves. Either way if a harsher punishment and fine had been levied I think future incidents could be averted.

• Like 1

Konstantine, I'm to old for such stupid prank. But, i was once a young guy too. Me and my friends did also some stupid things. Even worse. But we never got presented to the press like a felon. Every day really evil things happen in Thailand. Some of them are free to go because of bribe or connections to influential peoples.

I'm happy i did enjoy my youth in a western country.

So, let the kids go. Punish them, when they do really something wrong.

Special request to TV management/web designers. In addition to the “like this” button would it be possible to add a couple more buttons? Perhaps “dislike this comment” “No big deal? How would you like to be slapped on the head with a shoe by a couple punks” “no problem, I often disrespected elders when I was a young boy in my country” and “<deleted>” button? It would save us all a lot of time on this thread and some other threads as well. Just a thought. Best regards!!!

"<deleted>" would be used for quotes like...

"So, let the kids go. Punish them, when they do really something wrong" Like kick an old man off his bike and stomp his guts out...then we should punish them!!!

Some posters on here,don't understand,If you don't nip this kind of behaviour in the bud,then one thing will most certainly lead to another,and really don't get it! their pi** weak advice is: "wait for something more serious to happen" sounds just the kind of advice the young punks will love to hear,and eventually encourage them to more serious violence.

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 1

Anyone care to speculate what would have happened if the victim had reacted and hit the little shit ?

No need for speculation, all the Thais nearby would jumped the 56 year old to "protect" the thai youngster :-(

this is just more discrimination against foreigners in Thailand. we pay double to tour museum's go to parks, get medical in a hospital, we are not allowed to own a small piece of land to build a house, I spend more then 70,000 bhat every month and I am not allowed to go inside 50% of places in sattahip. And it is embarrassing when all my friends and family tour a old aircraft carrier that England or Australia donated to Thailand but I cannot go with them and have to wait outside.

we foreigners need to hire lawyers to fight this discrimination. Thailand wants our money but they do not want us

Who is keeping you out?

As for the double price this is done in the USA too. Many places in the states offer discounts to senior citizens, because they are on a fixed income, would yoube against that?

You and I make way more than a Thai does. It costs them 13% of their daily pay to get in most places, you are paying way less than 13% of your daily pay. I really don't understand guys that complain over 150B, if you really need 150B that bad and cant afford to go into these places then you should go back home and get a better paying job. I have never paid more at a hospital when I went. where did you go that they charged you more?

I don't understand all your friends (ex-pats) can go in and you cant? why not?

All this modern technology, everyone with cameras and social sites connected 24/7.... it really is all nasty stuff portraying Thailand as something other than the beautiful, Zen Buddhist nation that Thailand is.

Nasty sites such youtube, facebook, etc. such be banned (again, remember that youtube was banned up until 2-3 years ago) for tarnishing Thailand's reputation.

Dont ever recall youtube being banned. I have never had an issue accessing it. The Thai govt did ask youtube to remove a few posts which they agreed to.

What % of Thais are unconsciously envious of actually doing such a thing.

Or consciously envious of doing such a thing.

However, they're not alone. There's plenty of resentment (racism) towards foreigners in our own countries. Don't know if the coppers would bother arresting teens for doing this where I come from.

Just for the fun of it, I asked around, among the Thais in my office, how they view the "prank".

I will sum it up by one reaction: "He did WHAT? Oh my god..."

yep...obviously a harmless prank!

• Like 1

I watched the video.

Yes of course there is a strong racial aspect to this incident.

Why?

Because get real people, anyone who knows Thailand knows boys like that wouldn't have done the same thing to a THAI elder stranger.

It's obvious they went after a white man deliberately and its obvious why.

I congratulated the father of a Thai gf for learning some English by taping him on the back in a way it would be done back home in Australia in a friendly way.

I was told off severely by gf telling me that touching a older man like that is just not done.

Hate to see what would have happened if I had of slap him with a flip flop?

this is just more discrimination against foreigners in Thailand. we pay double to tour museum's go to parks, get medical in a hospital, we are not allowed to own a small piece of land to build a house, I spend more then 70,000 bhat every month and I am not allowed to go inside 50% of places in sattahip. And it is embarrassing when all my friends and family tour a old aircraft carrier that England or Australia donated to Thailand but I cannot go with them and have to wait outside.

we foreigners need to hire lawyers to fight this discrimination. Thailand wants our money but they do not want us

"Assigning blame and making excuses keeps us victimized. We dont have to do anything different because its not about us; its about someone or something else. Were simply the recipient.

We may in fact be the recipient of external forces outside our control, but we have the control over our reactions and responses in what we do and how we handle it".

"Need to hire Lawyers to fight this discrimination" cheesy.gif alt=cheesy.gif> cheesy.gif alt=cheesy.gif>

That's the funniest thing I have ever read on Thai Visa

You are right about hireing a thai lawyer. I should have said pay the right government officials to end this discrimination

come on these are just kids out for a bit of fun-hardly a damaging thing to do-I agree its not nice, and it is very disrespectful but its hardly a hanging offence. What I really resent about this story is that 58 is considered elderly! phhhht!

Okay, that's your take. But the truth is, this is a major insult in this country. And it's not unlikely that had they done this to a Thai man, it could have quickly become a very ugly case of vigilante justice.

I've been pondering this incident and have come to the conclusion it is just a silly prank. Would the Thai kids have done it to a Thai? Never. But to a farang, touching their head means nothing and that is why they did it. I would say, it's on the similar level as telling someone the wrong translation to make them look ridiculous.

Had these young Yobs tried this on a elderly Thai man,there would have been some serious repercussions, that would not have left the the two in a fit state to post on Facebook!

Agreed, and if I had done that as a kid, the lesson that my parents would have given me, certainly would have been pretty severe.

The two of them are morons, nothing more, nothing less.

What % of Thais are unconsciously envious of actually doing such a thing.

Foreigners are wrongly believed to be extremely wealthy and such 'pranks' are a way to put them down. Using a shoe made the statement that the foreigner is lower than my foot. As they were boys, their Parents will do nothing - boys are never punished for any wrongdoing - girls are punished for every wrongdoing.

Such extreme envy is a result of the wealthy Thai (HYSO) doing everyting to keep the poor Thai (LOSO) as wage slaves. Hence the outlandish rules against Foreigners, such as land ownership. If a Farmer with 200 Rai could sell to a foreign conglomerate, he would become wealthy and begin HobNobbing with the HYSO, so they don't tolerate freedom.

Not that it excuses this stupid act but....HOW many of US never did anything REALLY DUMB when we were 16?

Being young and DUMB is certainly not limited to only Thai kids.

Agree. I just hope that it is a stupid act from otherwise nice kids but it could also be the beginning of life long careers as A-holes.