Thai Mini Bus Drivers.

NoshowJones

This topic is not a joke, I promise you. I arrived at Nakhon Sawan bus terminal last Sunday morning about 8am to get a bus to Bangkok as I have done so many times before. There were no buses, and no one at the desks. I was approached by a mini bus driver offering to take me to Bangkok leaving at 8.20am. I thought about what I read about them on this forum, but I had no choice. I paid the 170 Baht,got in the mini bus and off we went.

The driver was excellent all the way to Bangkok, no reckless driving, and I actually felt very safe. I am not saying he never went over the speed limit, but his driving was excellent, I was sitting in the front seat and there was no tailgating or hogging the outside lane, it will be the minibus to Bangkok from now on for me if this driver is anything to go by.

• Like 1

I always take the Mini bus from Lat Yao To Bangkok maybe about 15 Times, never had any type of incidents, has always been a faster trip than going to Nakhon Sawan to catch the bus and make the trip by bus.

My preferred way of travel to Bangkok!

Cheers:wai2.gif

I always take the Mini bus from Lat Yao To Bangkok maybe about 15 Times, never had any type of incidents, has always been a faster trip than going to Nakhon Sawan to catch the bus and make the trip by bus.

I do not live in Nakhon Sawan, I live in Phichit province. About five years ago on two occasions I took a mini bus from Bangkok, it stopped to refuel both times at the end of a long queue of traffic and took well over an hour. That was the last time for me, did the mini bus from Lat Yao stop to refuel? I drive the car or take the motorbike and leave them at Nakhon Sawan for the few days I am in Bangkok.

I like the first sentance of the op. Like no one will ever believe what happened to me! I've personally always had great minivan drivers in really decked out comfy vans. Always felt safer than the big buses. Those can be terrifying at times.

• Like 1

I often drive from Bangkok to my home in Khon Kaen and on the stretch between Bangkok and Saraburi and I have to say I suspect somebody has secretly fitted a giant magnet to the back of my car Wacky Races-style the way those BMA Toyota Commuters hang on my tail.

• Like 1

I like the first sentance of the op. Like no one will ever believe what happened to me! I've personally always had great minivan drivers in really decked out comfy vans. Always felt safer than the big buses. Those can be terrifying at times.

Nevertheless, it remains driver dependant. You can never be sure.

Most proffessional drivers drive safely in Thailand. Once in awhile you are unlucky, like David48 stated.

You never know

• Like 1

I often drive from Bangkok to my home in Khon Kaen and on the stretch between Bangkok and Saraburi and I have to say I suspect somebody has secretly fitted a giant magnet to the back of my car Wacky Races-style the way those BMA Toyota Commuters hang on my tail.

biggrin.png

Even when you continuously anticipate them by letting them pass and give way?

This is an unwritten rule on the German autobahn: Fast guys go first. Just let them go...

• Like 2

biggrin.png

This is an unwritten rule on the German autobahn: Fast guys go first. Just let them go...

The main problem is they're behind me in the fast lane flashing their lights to come through as I'm overtaking a line of slow moving trucks myself. I'm thinking " F*cking hell mate give me a chance to get past these bastard trucks first! I can't beam myself through that Linfox rig Star Trek style."

Though I suppose they didn't choose to become minivan drivers because they were bored with being cardiothoracic surgeons.

• Like 2

The main problem is they're behind me in the fast lane flashing their lights to come through as I'm overtaking a line of slow moving trucks myself. I'm thinking " F*cking hell mate give me a chance to get past these bastard trucks first! I can't beam myself through that Linfox rig Star Trek style."

Though I suppose they didn't choose to become minivan drivers because they were bored with being cardiothoracic surgeons.

I come across that myself ... and my belief is that it comes down 'what is acceptable risk' ... their tolerance is higher then mine.

What I do in that situation is to increase the distance between me vehicle and the slower one in-front ... that allows Michael Schumacher to overtake my vehicle, slot in behind the slower vehicle and then overtake at his leisure, rather trying to force me into an overtaking situation I've deemed as too risky.

• Like 2

Nevertheless, it remains driver dependant. You can never be sure.

Most proffessional drivers drive safely in Thailand. Once in awhile you are unlucky, like David48 stated.

You never know

Are you serious? I've logged many a kilo in Thailand and almost all of it was with "Professional drivers".....Most either drove like a total fool, were high on drugs or just stone cold drunk.

Maybe I was just unlucky!

• Like 2

I too have been in vans driven by excellent drivers. Yes I have seen and occasionally experienced the types often "featured" on this forum, but this is not as common as often claimed here. Hiring a van and driver gives one the opportunity to choose a driver who is known to be careful and safe.

Yes i always take the mini bus, much faster because it takes the emergency track to be first on every red light and also can squeeze in any little space between 2 trucks.

He never falls asleep because he takes some kind of vitamin and he eats while driving so we dont loose time.

I dont understand why they have such bad reputation ?

The drivers are very friendly, we always end up drunk after we arrive and he has some time off before his next client

15 min later.

• Like 1

Fluke

I don't blame you for saying that if I'm going by the reports of these mini buses in this and other forums. Next time I go to Bangkok I will again use the mini bus from the same company, and send in a report, then will soon find out if it was a Fluke.

Yes i always take the mini bus, much faster because it takes the emergency track to be first on every red light and also can squeeze in any little space between 2 trucks.

He never falls asleep because he takes some kind of vitamin and he eats while driving so we dont loose time.

The drivers are very friendly, we always end up drunk after we arrive and he has some time off before his next client

15 min later.

Like it, but you are missing your vocation my friend! Keep them coming.

biggrin.png

I've had similar experiences. I suspect it is because they are not scanning the roadway ahead of you, but rather just seeing you as an hinderance to their progress. I believe it's called "Tunnel Vision". Safe driving all.

• Like 1

15 min later.

Like it, but you are missing your vocation my friend! Keep them coming.

Yes, love the humor and reality of it. Drive safe all.

• Like 1

I have to deal with these guys all the time, living on the main highway between Pattaya/Bangkok and Sattahip/Rayong/South. Most drive like maniacs. Tailgaiting inches behind you, flashing lights, passing on the shoulder, stopping right in front of you to pickup/drop somebodey off, cutting right in front of you to get just one car ahead, and driving way over the speed limit whenever possible.

The BiB could make a bundle with a speed camera down here...and save a lot of lives in the process.

I only have experience as a passenger with 2 trips in a mini bus. Neither was good.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Always good to read positive stories to balance the often negative tales we see and read.

I hope Possum thought to get the drivers name and number. I do that with the few taxi drivers that stand out among the herds.

On my first trip to Thailand, I caught a minibus from Rayong back to Bkk. That driver did a fine job, and made us all feel safe. I didn't know at the time the reputation of these drivers, and since living here, aware that its out of the norm to get a safe one.